Could this be the most Illegal van going? (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Staying on a site on Skye, a 2 or possibly 4 birth motorhome has just turned up with 2 adults, 5 children of varying ages and a midsize dog! Apart from the weight issue how on earth are they able to travel with that many people?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Itā€™s a gamble because if they got stopped by the police and the kids arenā€™t seat belted in, not only will the driver get fined but they may prevent them from travelling further.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Itā€™s a gamble because if they got stopped by the police and the kids arenā€™t seat belted in, not only will the driver get fined but they may prevent them from travelling further.
Only if belts are provided and not used?

If the van is sufficiently old not to have them fitted iirc they are legally ok.

Morally that's another story!

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
And I bet you had a great holiday.
Bill

One of those things that if you ask any friends who maybe now would never consider a Camping/Caravan/Motorhome holiday will tell you one of their best memories will be of those kind of Camping/Caravan/Motorhome trips in their formative years which involved a bit mayhem šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Staying on a site on Skye, a 2 or possibly 4 birth motorhome has just turned up with 2 adults, 5 children of varying ages and a midsize dog! Apart from the weight issue how on earth are they able to travel with that many people?
Because "They" won't accept a DIY PVC with a "PopTop" as a motorhome - our "Campervan" still has a logbook that classifies it as having 8 seats. So they've maybe got 1 spare - unless the dog gets its own too!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As a nipper in the mid 50's I went camping with my sister, bro' in law, nephew and niece to Birling Gap in their 1926 Austin 7 grossly overloaded with tents, sleeping bags and all the domestic camping stuff. A rear leaf spring broke on the way there and my bro' in law just bound it up with rope and carried on. Life was like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Apart from the travelling side of things, how do you sleep 7 in what looks like a 2 berth? Can't be more than 6.5m

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
As a nipper in the late 50's I went camping with my sister, bro' in law, nephew and niece to Birling Gap in their 1926 Austin 7 grossly overloaded with tents, sleeping bags and all the domestic camping stuff. A rear leaf spring broke on the way there and my bro' in law just bound it up with rope and carried on. Life was like that.
Reminds me of a holiday water skiing in the IOW. I had a Morris Oxford that cost Ā£100 and a new Fletcher Speedboat with a PPJet and Ford V6 inboard that cost Ā£4000. Four up with all our gear and luggage towing said craft we got to the IOW and one of the leaf springs broke. Managed to nurse it to a BMC dealer in Newport and purchased a new spring and replaced it by the side of the road with only a scissor jack. The 1976 summer broke the next day and the sea was like a millpond for the next fortnight. Fantastic holiday and one I have never forgotten šŸ˜Š

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
You're on Skye......well enjoy yourself, take in the views, climb the hills, splash in the rivers and the sea and don't forget to bring back a gift or two.

We didn't. Why just last week we came back with a dose of Covid each šŸ˜±šŸ˜­šŸ¤®...

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Reminds me of a holiday water skiing in the IOW. I had a Morris Oxford that cost Ā£100 and a new Fletcher Speedboat with a PPJet and Ford V6 inboard that cost Ā£4000. Four up with all our gear and luggage towing said craft we got to the IOW and one of the leaf springs broke. Managed to nurse it to a BMC dealer in Newport and purchased a new spring and replaced it by the side of the road with only a scissor jack. The 1976 summer broke the next day and the sea was like a millpond for the next fortnight. Fantastic holiday and one I have never forgotten šŸ˜Š
Our long weekend in tents atop the cliffs at Birling Gap wasn't. It rained constantly and there was one heck of a thunderstorm one night and I was pretty sure that lightning hit the ground beside my tent.
My sister had bought a pack of newly introduced Walls skinless sausages and we had to prise them off the frying pan like black and burnt chewing gum.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Is there a photo ?
67B248D4-9E6F-4295-A6CA-D99885A0CE17.jpeg

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I am sure you have all the facts but remember sometimes things are not always as they seem .
Last year we went to Retrofest and I took my lot and the mother in law . We arrived and unloaded the awning ,the mobility scooter and all six of us, also a full tank of water onboard.
The only thing you wouldnā€™t know is that it was just me and my 2 youngest in the motorhome when we were on public roads . The other items and passengers travelled by car and joined us once we got into the main car park , I loaded everything up and made our way to the funster area within the main show ground.
Donā€™t always be too quick to judge šŸ‘šŸ»

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Is it legal? do you have belts??

OK - if you are to be in sync with the rules, then they should all have belts.

I think the idea of protection in an accident has become increasingly important but what protection do our modern vans offer us compared to cars? I have seen footage that suggests not much.

My van is 1992 and is basically a wood-aluminum caravan mounted atop a flatbed Ducato with an above cab bed for a roof and no bulkhead separation from the cab. It is not going to be any good in a crash. When was the last time you heard about wooden framing and plywood with polystyrene providing good crash resistence?!

Does this concern me? Yes! Does it prevent me from taking my kids in it? No? How do I reconcile this? I drive really carefully... and hope other people do too. Fortunately I don't take many speed or manouvre risks in a '92 Ducato because it isn't dynamically able - especially with the body that's mounted on it.

In the past, people took risks because the consequences had never occurred to them -kids unrestrained, in the front, in a boot, people walking around the van at speed, driving slowly to avoid wheel/tyre problems... I think I've experienced all of that in my not short time and some more!

Is it good? - no - you should never do anything against the law or which common sense tells you is unsafe.

Is there anything which is risk free? No, so appropriate, managed risk - like my van - is the best we can do in an unsafe world!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I spent 1.5/2 hours each way to London, in the 70's, up The M4, along The Cromwell Road to The City for years, during my sparky apprenticeship with 4 other blokes, plus 2 in the front, sat on toolboxes & cable reels in the back of a transit van, never gave safety a thought in those days, it was just a means to get to work....all for Ā£21 per week JIB rates of pay.
Be on the corner for pick up at 6.15AM or they would go without you.:eek:
LES

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
It's not going to bother me, but I couldn't resist posting it.
I think you are right to be concerned, car crash, children not in seatbelts. But if their parents aren't bothered what can you do ??report them to the police, or social services ?? are they going to raid the site and arrest them. Don't think so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back