Could this be a workaround for the EU Pet Passport after 1 Jan 2021? (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I know what your saying, 😉 a bit like whenever our MOT was, it always got moved to August because we went back mid July for Janie's birthday with our daughters, and that gave us options. 🙂
You really want the Rabies at a convenient time when you come out or return, if you get it now , next year would probably be earlier and get it in Belgium Germany or Portugal then its every 3 years. 🤔 Bob
Yes. I Think I will stick with getting the passport now and then have an excuse next winter to exit via Portugal. We haven't been for a few years so a good enough reason to go. Or failing that exit via Germany.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but just to add to it for info.

We are in the process of getting our dogs EU passport done. It is currently at the vets now having the important stuff transferred.

As far as I understand it, we will have to get her rabies booster every year to maintain the EU passport, as well as getting it done in the EU. As she was due next year (in the UK) for her booster I am happy for her to have it a year early. I believe all EU countries require a yearly booster, at least that is the case in France and Spain.
I may be talking rubbish and if I am I am sorry.
But the 1 year rabies jab in Spain is Spanish law.
By getting your passport in Spain and subsequent jabs in another country at 3 yearly intervals, if inspected could it not cause problems. Is it accepted at the ferry ports?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes. I Think I will stick with getting the passport now and then have an excuse next winter to exit via Portugal. We haven't been for a few years so a good enough reason to go. Or failing that exit via Germany.
Might be worth asking if the vac date can be 3 years in the passport as the 'requirement' to have it done every year is the law if you are in Spain, but not if you are elsewhere, eg if you reside in Spain then you'd have to have it done every year regardless of the vac expiry date, but if you can show you are resident in another country then I can't see any reason why the 3 year vac expiry date can't be entered and adhered to.

What'd d'ya think?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
By getting your passport in Spain and subsequent jabs in another country at 3 yearly intervals, if inspected could it not cause problems. Is it accepted at the ferry ports?
It may be issued in Spain but it is still an EU passport.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Might be worth asking if the vac date can be 3 years in the passport as the 'requirement' to have it done every year is the law if you are in Spain, but not if you are elsewhere, eg if you reside in Spain then you'd have to have it done every year regardless of the vac expiry date, but if you can show you are resident in another country then I can't see any reason why the 3 year vac expiry date can't be entered and adhered to.

What'd d'ya think?
I will ask, but the Spainish vet has already said it has to be a yearly vaccination. Although I will make it clear on the next visit that she is a UK doggy.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
please excuse me but i have trawled back through the thread to find what the vaccination interval is in France ( Rabies that is)
there is that much stuff i have read on this now i think i am suffering from information shock and losing the plot..
:oops:
thanks

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

What'd d'ya think?
I will ask, but the Spainish vet has already said it has to be a yearly vaccination. Although I will make it clear on the next visit that she is a UK doggy.
Ive just spotted in my dogs Spanish passports that the vet in the uk who done them in august has dated them for 3 years 🤦‍♂️ so ill be enquiring in germany i think about changing them to german passports because i really don't want any more hassle with them .

Bloody Vets ...im comvinced none of them know anything about the passport situation. That last one tried to tell me i needed titre tests to return to uk.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
please excuse me but i have trawled back through the thread to find what the vaccination interval is in France ( Rabies that is)
there is that much stuff i have read on this now i think i am suffering from information shock and losing the plot..
:oops:
thanks
Post #4 in the Rabies vaccine duration thread mentions 3-yearly boosters for the Versiguard vaccine in France. However I’ve just realised that both links in that post are the same - both for Belgium. Maybe bellabee who provided the info can add the correct link that she found for France? :Smile:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I think the caveat in France would be that you should ask the vet which vaccine they were proposing to use, before getting the passport.
Versiguard Rabies and Versican Plus LR4, are the ones which allow for 3-yearly boosters.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think the caveat in France would be that you should ask the vet which vaccine they were proposing to use, before getting the passport.
Versiguard Rabies and Versican Plus LR4, are the ones which allow for 3-yearly boosters.
great info on that document thank you (y)

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Excellent thread thinking of a Bulgerian pet passport for our 2 pooches to travel to and back from Turkey every year to overcome the 4 month thing I realise still need the extra paperwork for Turkey. Anyone done a Bulgerian pet passport

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
A little bit more info if anyone is going for a Spanish EU pet passport.

The vet we used in Mazarron said they are instructed to issue a yearly rabies booster because of the proximity to Morocco. She said it is possible that in the North they may issue a bi annual one. I have never heard this mentioned before but there you go, that's what she said.

Izzy has a shiny new passport and we are going back in on Monday for her titre test to be entered (I forgot to take the printout for that). The whole thing passport, injection, plus I got some flea and tic tabs for her, came to €70.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
A little bit more info if anyone is going for a Spanish EU pet passport.

The vet we used in Mazarron said they are instructed to issue a yearly rabies booster because of the proximity to Morocco. She said it is possible that in the North they may issue a bi annual one. I have never heard this mentioned before but there you go, that's what she said.

Izzy has a shiny new passport and we are going back in on Monday for her titre test to be entered (I forgot to take the printout for that). The whole thing passport, injection, plus I got some flea and tic tabs for her, came to €70.
I think I had mentioned about it. You can get the boosters done in any EU country. I got Izzy's done in Portugal in 2019, lasts 3 years, perfectly OK in her Spanish passport. Her Spanish vet(s) said so too. She said whatever the vet has stamped it as, that is the validity. Now yes apparently there are bylaws in regions in Spain anyway about having them l annually, however the likelihood of a problem occuring from a 3 year in it is unlikely. There are plenty of dogs with no records or chips anyway. Janie

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes, accepted. Done it. Janie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Ive just spotted in my dogs Spanish passports that the vet in the uk who done them in august has dated them for 3 years 🤦‍♂️ so ill be enquiring in germany i think about changing them to german passports because i really don't want any more hassle with them .

Bloody Vets ...im comvinced none of them know anything about the passport situation. That last one tried to tell me i needed titre tests to return to uk.
Three years is three years. If the vet has stamped it three years that is the validity. Janie

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Three years is three years. If the vet has stamped it three years that is the validity. Janie
Cool i just wasnt sure as ive read comments on here before saying must be done anually in a spanish passport.

So ill just stick with the ones i have now and hope theres no problems because the annual ones are a pita ...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The vet we used in Mazarron said they are instructed to issue a yearly rabies booster because of the proximity to Morocco.
That's because you are in murcia . 1 year legal requirement.
Doesn't matter it isn't accepted here in murcia vets.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I rang our vet yesterday as our dog has a Cypriot passport and she seems quite certain that to be allowed entry into the E.U. she would still need the new certificate. They charge £96

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I rang our vet yesterday as our dog has a Cypriot passport and she seems quite certain that to be allowed entry into the E.U. she would still need the new certificate. They charge £96
was the last booster for rabies in the passport done in Cyprus? if so i believe your vet is incorrect. we have established that a dog does not have to have an EU address only an EU current passport.

otherwise there would be no point in us doing all this research.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Be careful with some vets ...some actually don't have a clue ...mine told me last year id need a titre test to get my dogs back in to the uk

It was bollocks of course but had i not checked and just went on his say so id have been a few hundred quid lighter

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Lynne Roy , will the rabies jabs still be up-to-date by the time you travel? If so, then it appears that you will be OK with the Cypriot passport. You could then get the booster done while you were in the EU in order to maintain currency of your EU passport..
On the other hand, if the rabies will be out-of-date before then, you will need to get a booster and an AHC in the UK. You could then get a new EU passport while you were away.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Lynne Roy , will the rabies jabs still be up-to-date by the time you travel? If so, then it appears that you will be OK with the Cypriot passport. You could then get the booster done while you were in the EU in order to maintain currency of your EU passport..
On the other hand, if the rabies will be out-of-date before then, you will need to get a booster and an AHC in the UK. You could then get a new EU passport while you were away.
Unfortunately because I took her for a titre test just in case, I had a booster here, so I have probably ruined our chances of using that passport , so I suppose I will have to start again and get a French passport because that is the closest. Utterly fed up x

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Unfortunately because I took her for a titre test just in case, I had a booster here, so I have probably ruined our chances of using that passport , so I suppose I will have to start again and get a French passport because that is the closest. Utterly fed up x
If your booster was done before 31/12/2020 in the UK it is still valid in a current EU country's Pets Passport, AFAIK.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
If your booster was done before 31/12/2020 in the UK it is still valid in a current EU country's Pets Passport, AFAIK.
Thanks it was definitely done before, December 2019. The vet did tell me another think, that the health form is going to be reviewed and may change at the end of April.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back