sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It’s a tax dodge thing. Register it as a second home and pay Council Tax, call it a holiday let with the intention of renting it for a minimum period and it’s a business and doesn’t attract Council tax. Instead you get to claim small business rate tax relief, up to 100% in some circumstances. So, what happens in the circumstances discussed in this thread? You visit Cornwall, stay in your ‘business’ Council Tax free, benefit from tax relief plus the emergency measures recently announced by government to support business. No additional local charge for ignoring official advice and being an asshole! As a business they’re also expected to use commercial rubbish collection services, but guess what? Yesterday on a community feed I saw a local resident who owns a holiday home, advertising use of her ‘business’ free of charge to a vulnerable person who needs to self-isolate. Contrast that to the ‘I’ve paid for it so sod you lot’ attitude.
That whole "tax avoidance plan" had never crossed my mind before and see what a great wheeze it is. I hope HMRC look for benefit in kind for the weeks occupied, and at at the going rate through their tax returns!

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
This document doesn’t advise against private travel within the UK...
This one Friday night is a bit more clearer and looks like they have not updated the version you refer to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
So it looks like the rest of the uk has to put up with what ever they are given but Cornwall has special rights. Yes that sounds ok.

Deleted User
I don’t thi
I afraid if they have been paying all this time and not had cause to cost anything I would think they see it as ok. If I had paid for something I would want it, you could argue the local is no more entitled then them as they have both paid in . If someone from Cornwall gets taken ill in another part of the country will they be refused medical help. Where does it stop.
I don’t think money comes into it, wether they have paid council tax or not doesnt matter. I would put these selfish people in the same category as the shelf strippers and their “ me first and sod the rest of you” Just stay at home, we have a brand new M/h on the driveway and it doesn’t look if we are going to be able to use it any time soon but you just have to get on with it.
Spongy

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don’t thi

I don’t think money comes into it, wether they have paid council tax or not doesnt matter. I would put these selfish people in the same category as the shelf strippers and their “ me first and sod the rest of you” Just stay at home, we have a brand new M/h on the driveway and it doesn’t look if we are going to be able to use it any time soon but you just have to get on with it.
Spongy
Like I said are the royals going to their holiday weekend home ?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Having moaned and bitched about it,

"all they there bleddy diseased Emmets cummin' down 'ere infesting the place"

Reality should tell us that every July August we suffer a similar set of circumstances with the arrival of the Holiday Makers. Most of them seem incapable of reading warning signs,

"SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS!"
"I will bloody well swim where I want too, especially at night with a skinfull of grog "

Actually had a couple last year walk over a cliff!

The A&E gets swamped every year at that time so we should be used to it I suppose, and, they do bring money into the County.

When I was growing there was a saying floating around,

"It takes an Englishman a year to save up for his holiday, a Cornishman will have it off him in a fortnight!"

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Whats an Emmet? is it the same as a Chizzit? *How much is it?*

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Emmits are Ants, it's what the locals used to call anyone from out of the County. I myself am one and I have been here for close on 50 years. In Devon they call us all Grockles.

Last edited:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
yep thought so we call em Chizzits up north as all they say is How much is it or to a non dialect speaker Owmuchisit!

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
We have a load of 2nd homes here in Norfolk, Cornwall is nothing special. They want to get over themselves.

I hope there doesn’t come a time when a Norfolk hospital doctor has to make the life or death decision whether you get the only ventilator available or Jeremy visiting his holiday home from Kensington! Then you finally might understand the point that several people have been trying to make to you!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I hope there doesn’t come a time when a Norfolk hospital doctor has to make the life or death decision whether you get the only ventilator available or Jeremy visiting his holiday home from Kensington! Then you finally might understand the point that several people have been trying to make to you!
I am fully sure that if Liz is up at sandringham and there is only one ventilator, it will not be me who gets it. Even though I live here.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It strikes me Cornwall is quite happy to take the money but not pay out. What about if you live out near Skegness it’s a long single track road back to Boston the closest hospital which is on special needs (it’s in the poo) so more likely to have to go to Nottingham. Yet Cornwall seems to think it’s something special.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I am pretty sure Liz will have her own ventilator so you'll be fine :)
She has our local gp on speed dial. She and the rest of the family have for years now. Just standard practice.
A few years back it used to be Clare goose the actresses dad who was on call/speed dial

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It strikes me Cornwall is quite happy to take the money but not pay out. What about if you live out near Skegness it’s a long single track road back to Boston the closest hospital which is on special needs (it’s in the poo) so more likely to have to go to Nottingham. Yet Cornwall seems to think it’s something special.
Exactly how much money per human life do you have in mind.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well if I had paid my tax on a 2nd home, clue being home. I would feel perfectly entitled to be there. Cornwall is coming across as rather selfish and me me me. We have 2nd homes here in Norfolk to , you’re nothing special.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well if I had paid my tax on a 2nd home, clue being home. I would feel perfectly entitled to be there. Cornwall is coming across as rather selfish and me me me. We have 2nd homes here in Norfolk to , you’re nothing special.
I still revert you to my question as the facts surrounding the resources in Cornwall are clear, an influx from other areas will inevitably increase the viral distribution. So how much per human life.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I revert to if it’s their home even if it’s a 2nd they are entitled to use it. Or maybe you will back London in clearing asylum, migrants, and foreign property owners out as the resources are needed for London. It seems just like the Lloyds list people happy to take the money, then cry when it’s time to pay out. Cornwall is no different or special to Norfolk, get over your self.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I revert to if it’s their home even if it’s a 2nd they are entitled to use it. Or maybe you will back London in clearing asylum, migrants, and foreign property owners out as the resources are needed for London. It seems just like the Lloyds list people happy to take the money, then cry when it’s time to pay out. Cornwall is no different or special to Norfolk, get over your self.

You don’t get it, you’ll never get it. Thank goodness for the ignore button.

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Ivory55 I think you are arguing for the sake of it, I doubt you have any intention of coming down here, Cornwall is no different to anywhere else, it would be easier to slow down the spread should we not have a massive influx of visitors, as would your area. Take care let's put this to bed & remain friends.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I admit I probably won’t be coming to Cornwall. Tried it thought it was over rated and over priced especially the parking. France is not cheap but looks like a bargain compared to Cornwall. I still don’t get why Cornwall is any different than Norfolk or should be treated any different.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I admit I probably won’t be coming to Cornwall. Tried it thought it was over rated and over priced especially the parking. France is not cheap but looks like a bargain compared to Cornwall. I still don’t get why Cornwall is any different than Norfolk or should be treated any different.
You tried visiting a second home in France lately?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I think this CV thing will make normally sensible people say things that maybe they would not normally. I guess it's a reaction to stress, uncertainty and a normal human reaction.
Maybe we all have to be more tolerant of each other. I know I'm having to think twice and say once and that's hard coming from someone who normally shoots from the hip.
This is a wonderful community. I get my daily fix of humour, information and irateness (is that a word) from this forum.

Norfolk, Cornwall, London, Scotland and everywhere else will have their emotions to deal with. Don't fall out peeps. When it's all over we need to go to a great big, huge field and have a rally. I hope someone brings some bog rolls :LOL:

Chill, stay safe and be tolerant.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I think regardless of geography, the issue here must be the ignorance and complete disregard displayed by those people who consider themselves beyond reproach, able to move freely to wherever they choose, regardless of whether they could, or would infect other areas of the UK. All in the interest of their own self gratification.

Theres a buzz phrase being bantered about in the media "pull together". It seems that is not an ethos that has been harnessed by the panic buyers, second home owners or those muppets that think the schools are closed and industry closing down, so they can go on holiday?

It's all very sad and I fear that the UK will become the most infected country yet due to ignorance?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back