Come on tempt me into your back yard. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It looks like we are locked into the UK for the foreseeable future. No galivanting across the channel or taking to the sky’s……So let’s generate some sales hype for your part of the country. Tempt us if you can. We can all read the holiday brochures but give us some real insider knowledge that we cant find in the brochures about your part of these wonderful islands. Theme parks, places of interest or just something that you take for granted that the rest of us will find interesting.

Try not to fudge it as some of us will be using is as a reference if we decide to visit on your recommendation. Here is my starter for one……..

Turville where the vicar of Dibley series was filmed in the Buckinghamshire village of Turville near High Wycombe, with the village's St Mary the Virgin Church doubling as Dibley’s St Barnabus. Sit on the wooden bench eating your lunch outside the vicars lovely little cottage or taking a look inside the church is a joy to behold. Or maybe a pint in the Bull & Butcher, Home of the best pies and suet puddings for miles around.
Then we have the gothic mansion of the George Harrison family, or the place of where George Michal died on christmas day or even the Robin Gibb mansion with his incredible headstone in the churchyard across the road. All free to visit too.

Over to you….(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We spent the night at Strathclyde Park. Its apparently going to be £15 when season starts up. I have suggested £10 as more normal, but we had a very peaceful sleep behind M&Ds, gates are closed bat night so no boy racers. (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
It looks like we are locked into the UK for the foreseeable future. No galivanting across the channel or taking to the sky’s……So let’s generate some sales hype for your part of the country. Tempt us if you can. We can all read the holiday brochures but give us some real insider knowledge that we cant find in the brochures about your part of these wonderful islands. Theme parks, places of interest or just something that you take for granted that the rest of us will find interesting.

Try not to fudge it as some of us will be using is as a reference if we decide to visit on your recommendation. Here is my starter for one……..

Turville where the vicar of Dibley series was filmed in the Buckinghamshire village of Turville near High Wycombe, with the village's St Mary the Virgin Church doubling as Dibley’s St Barnabus. Sit on the wooden bench eating your lunch outside the vicars lovely little cottage or taking a look inside the church is a joy to behold. Or maybe a pint in the Bull & Butcher, Home of the best pies and suet puddings for miles around.
Then we have the gothic mansion of the George Harrison family, or the place of where George Michal died on christmas day or even the Robin Gibb mansion with his incredible headstone in the churchyard across the road. All free to visit too.

Over to you….(y)
Think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was also filmed in that village?

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Bury St. Edmunds: lovely town centre with plenty of places to eat & drink, Abbey Gardens to walk round & relax, Cathedral to visit. 5 MH bays in Ram Meadow car park for overnight stops. & a short walk to the town centre.
Nearby: Ickworth House, NT, Good MH parking.
11 miles to Thetford where some of "Dad's Army" was filmed, with museum and a bronze of Captain Mainwaring sitting on a bench.
Also Bressingham Steam museum a short drive away.
Hope to see some of you around :giggle:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Bury St. Edmunds: lovely town centre with plenty of places to eat & drink, Abbey Gardens to walk round & relax, Cathedral to visit. 5 MH bays in Ram Meadow car park for overnight stops. & a short walk to the town centre.
11 miles to Thetford where some of "Dad's Army" was filmed, with museum and a bronze of Captain Mainwaring sitting on a bench.
Just to add to this, if you visit Bury St Ed's take a short run into Lavenham and Long Melford where Lovejoy was filmed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Nowhere is better cos everywhere has it's cons as well as its pros.

I've always lived smack in the middle and though I've always enjoyed my holidays I've always loved coming home, cos I genuinely miss the green-ness of the UK. And being smack in the middle that green is never very far away at all. We really do cater for ancient and modern within 10 minutes almost anywhere you happen to plonk yourself in Worcs, Warks, Leics,, Shrops, etc,

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We love Kings Forest Campsite in the area....have a week booked onsite from May 1st 👍

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Come on tempt me into your back yard.​

................................................................................................

Your more than welcome to join us in my back yard for a bar-b-q.... buttons .. (y) :cheers:

1617605810373.png

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We spent the night at Strathclyde Park. Its apparently going to be £15 when season starts up. I have suggested £10 as more normal, but we had a very peaceful sleep behind M&Ds, gates are closed bat night so no boy racers. (y)
Surely it down to market forces. If people pay £15 a night then they know it’s right. They cannot go by people on here, they would never pay anything. Haha

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012

Come on tempt me into your back yard.​

................................................................................................

Your more than welcome to join us in my back yard for a bar-b-q.... buttons .. (y) :cheers:

View attachment 481331
Is that your collection of blow up dolls 😂😂😂😂

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nowhere is better cos everywhere has it's cons as well as its pros.

I've always lived smack in the middle and though I've always enjoyed my holidays I've always loved coming home, cos I genuinely miss the green-ness of the UK. And being smack in the middle that green is never very far away at all. We really do cater for ancient and modern within 10 minutes almost anywhere you happen to plonk yourself in Worcs, Warks, Leics,, Shrops, etc,
Can I add staffs to that, best place in the world for me, always nice to go away but nicer to come home.
Love to see ," the north " on that M1 sign (y) :sun:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don’t come to my village,we’ve got enough foreigners coming out from their towns already,walking their poxy labradoodles and leaving dog poo bags hanging in the tress......beggar off!!!! :ROFLMAO: o_O:ROFLMAO::moon2::moon2:
Oi my labradoodle is perfectly happy on one of his local beaches thank you!.There are lots to pick from along the north Yorkshire coast or we can walk into the moors national park or take the train from our village. Theres also free salmon and sea trout fishing a short walk away (at least I've seen other people catch them!). Theres also a big local music scene and in normal times lots of event's in Whitby 3 miles away.
Its terrible don't come!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Still cheaper than the CMC site and a little bit further from the noisy MW.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Over to you….(y)
No no no no no. Yes(y)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
'Friends, Romans and countrymen, I have come to Bury St Edmund's, not to praise them ...' [just to keep gus-lopez happy ... (y) 😂]

How about a visit to Diss, the strangest place in England? As you approach it,the town Diss appears ...:oops:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Plenty of nice places in Sussex too many to mention but few places to stop unless you like sites.
The best drive is the 20 miles from our house to Newhaven to get on the Ferry. :rofl:
Agreed. Used to be about 30 miles drive when I lived in Worthing. Now 510 miles each way, but I'd kill for the opportunity to do the drive now, parking up in the Town Centre Car Park by the Bus Terminus, and nipping down to Horace's Fish Bar [run by Dave, who used to refill our flask with hot water, while we waited for 2 Pensioner Specials to be freshly fried]. Of course, we soon realised that the local fish went better with the chips ... :rolleyes:

Best of all was the 20% discount on the Ferry Fare if you have at least 1 person in the party aged 60 or over, and if you book by phone [0800 917 1201], because the discount cannot be taken for online bookings.

Steve & Elaine

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Headley is little village with 2 pubs, one of which is expensive.
There is parking available in at least 3 places I can think of and have seen motorhomes overnight at.
Village tours would include the house of Gary Glitter, the house where numerous records were made, Headley Grange, including Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Ian Dury and I believe the Travelling Wilberries.
This house was also the scene of the culmination of the Headley and Selborne riots which saw a couple of hangings and a few sent over to Oz.
On a Sunday morning during football season the mighty Headley Veterans FC play and normally frequent the cheaper of the 2 boozers (no citation required)

Nearby you have Glibert White's house and the zig zag path of Selborne, Jane Austen's house, in Chawton near Alton
Queen Elizabeth Country park and Butser ancient farm as well as Butser Hill
Birdworld is just down the road adjacent to Alice Holt Forest where there is a Go Ape by all counts and the Hollycombe steam collection is at Liphook.
In Alton is the grave of Sweet Fanny Adams who was infamously murdered as a young child and chopped up into bits at the same time as tinned mutton became rations for the Royal Navy and is known for the phrase Sweet FA as coined by the RN when given their rations and not what you think it means.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back