Come on tempt me into your back yard. (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I live in the north of the south downs national park , nothing to see here but antique shops .

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
No reason to come to Newcastle, unless you like views like this;

Tyne.jpg

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It looks like we are locked into the UK for the foreseeable future. No galivanting across the channel or taking to the skyā€™sā€¦ā€¦So letā€™s generate some sales hype for your part of the country. Tempt us if you can. We can all read the holiday brochures but give us some real insider knowledge that we cant find in the brochures about your part of these wonderful islands. Theme parks, places of interest or just something that you take for granted that the rest of us will find interesting.

Try not to fudge it as some of us will be using is as a reference if we decide to visit on your recommendation. Here is my starter for oneā€¦ā€¦..

Turville where the vicar of Dibley series was filmed in the Buckinghamshire village of Turville near High Wycombe, with the village's St Mary the Virgin Church doubling as Dibleyā€™s St Barnabus. Sit on the wooden bench eating your lunch outside the vicars lovely little cottage or taking a look inside the church is a joy to behold. Or maybe a pint in the Bull & Butcher, Home of the best pies and suet puddings for miles around.
Then we have the gothic mansion of the George Harrison family, or the place of where George Michal died on christmas day or even the Robin Gibb mansion with his incredible headstone in the churchyard across the road. All free to visit too.

Over to youā€¦.(y)
No !! Sorry !! šŸ˜‰
Iā€™ve seen Cornwall ruined by its own success, canā€™t watch it get even worse here. 2nd homes which leave ghost towns in the Winter !!
Take a leap in the dark, itā€™s an adventure!!
Mitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
"They" ARE HERE!!
Heard in a Restaurant yesterday.

"How was the chowder madam?"
"Wonderful! So smooth it was like sleeping with a cotton Duva!"
"and the Creme Boule?
"Like moving from the Cotton Duva to silk sheets!"

and

"Your Fish? Is it from local sources?"
"No Madam, it's from the Sea!"

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No !! Sorry !! šŸ˜‰
Iā€™ve seen Cornwall ruined by its own success, canā€™t watch it get even worse here. 2nd homes which leave ghost towns in the Winter !!
Take a leap in the dark, itā€™s an adventure!!
Mitch.
Why are the locals selling their homes to outsiders if they don't want outsiders to own second homes in Cornwall.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yeah but why don't cornish folk want to provide homes for local people. (y)
It's true that money talks and very few will accept a lower price in order to restrict the market to locals. Around here some properties have planning restrictions so can only be bought by people who have lived in the area for a certain number of years must be the main residence and cannot be holiday lets. Its written into the deeds so the same restrictions apply on resale .Their value is about 25% lower. Seems like a good idea.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Thought all this started many decades ago. Young families had to move out as traditional work disappeared and they had to head to industrial centres. The wealthy took advantage. Don't necessarily agree with it but I suppose that's life.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Thought all this started many decades ago. Young families had to move out as traditional work disappeared and they had to head to industrial centres. The wealthy took advantage. Don't necessarily agree with it but I suppose that's life.
I guess similar could be said for docklands. Developers brought it when it was run down and worthless, then build posh flats and charged a fortune. Money talks.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think theres a balance. There are a lot around here's who complain at the number of visitors but as a lot of areas have no industry left tourism is a large part of the economy although most of the jobs in it are badly paid. Areas just up the coast without tourism are even worse off.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Why are the locals selling their homes to outsiders if they don't want outsiders to own second homes in Cornwall.
Because
1. They live in the poorest part of the uk.
2. It represents the biggest windfall they will probably ever get in their lives.
3. They donā€™t want to live there anymore.
4. Fishings done.
5. Miningā€™s done.
6. The area is in depression, just drive through Camborne and Redruth !!
Think back to when we were all struggling to raise and feed our families, you HAVE to go where the jobs are !!
Believe me, it hurts a LOT to leave the place you were born and love.
Mitch.
PS. A lot of them sell their cottages ( for a good sum )and move into Council estates.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Is that so mitch, who is it then who makes a decision to sell their cornish family home to a second home dweller from Sheffield.
People who either have low paid jobs or rely on what they earn in the Summer carry them through the rest of the year.
The ā€œ folkā€ who make decisions are often far removed from the ā€œfolkā€ who have to live with the results.
Much like the rest of the country I suppose.
Mitch.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It's the sign of the Times mitch, it appears that Cornwall has a problem with the rules of the free market. Gregg's pasties is another example. Putting a block on all competitors is not playing the game and will never work.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It's the sign of the Times mitch, it appears that Cornwall has a problem with the rules of the free market. Gregg's pasties is another example. Putting a block on all competitors is not playing the game and will never work.
Agreed mate.
Mitch.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You've been reading them bleddy papers again!

Won't find very many second home owners in Redruth or Camborne, only wealthy locals can afford their first home.
If people are silly enough to pay Ā£500,000 over the odds for my sea view house bring it on. I'll move a mile or two up the road where the houses are half the price and buy a bucket to see the water.
Padstein isn't the real Cornwall, its a theme park, if you want to own a bit its gonna cost you.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I do not understand this post I am afraid? Would you mind explaining to this simpleton please.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You've been reading them bleddy papers again!

Won't find very many second home owners in Redruth or Camborne, only wealthy locals can afford their first home.
If people are silly enough to pay Ā£500,000 over the odds for my sea view house bring it on. I'll move a mile or two up the road where the houses are half the price and buy a bucket to see the water.
Padstein isn't the real Cornwall, its a theme park, if you want to own a bit its gonna cost you.
Not quite Phileas, I have lived in Falmouth and have a good friend who lives in Trevu road Cambourne which is not my idea of heaven. It is much nicer where I live inside the M25.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I guess similar could be said for docklands. Developers brought it when it was run down and worthless, then build posh flats and charged a fortune. Money talks.
Yeah we hear all this bleating from some parts of the country as if it only happens in Cornwall My old man was tug skipper on the Thames as his family had been for centuries, he lived and worked in the Dockland area as his family had done again for hundreds of years. I would have followed in the family business if it had not all gone tits up in a very short time. The only remnants left are the head stones in the local church that again show family connections for ever. I still visit the area and feel a real connection but apart from the churches and museums there is little left.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks for the explanation buttons, the true story is of course completely different, these are the facts confirmed by motorwayservicesonline.
The Greggs at Saltash services was operated under a franchise arrangement, it opened in September 2018 and was closed in September 2019, the quote was "hardly anyone noticed it had gone" which suggests commercially it had not been a great success.
It was not until 13th January 2020 the gutter press created the story about angry locals, as is their wont.

Have to love the papers don't you! Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back