Come on tempt me into your back yard. (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Headley is little village with 2 pubs, one of which is expensive.
There is parking available in at least 3 places I can think of and have seen motorhomes overnight at.
Village tours would include the house of Gary Glitter, the house where numerous records were made, Headley Grange, including Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Ian Dury and I believe the Travelling Wilberries.
This house was also the scene of the culmination of the Headley and Selborne riots which saw a couple of hangings and a few sent over to Oz.
On a Sunday morning during football season the mighty Headley Veterans FC play and normally frequent the cheaper of the 2 boozers (no citation required)

Nearby you have Glibert White's house and the zig zag path of Selborne, Jane Austen's house, in Chawton near Alton
Queen Elizabeth Country park and Butser ancient farm as well as Butser Hill
Birdworld is just down the road adjacent to Alice Holt Forest where there is a Go Ape by all counts and the Hollycombe steam collection is at Liphook.
In Alton is the grave of Sweet Fanny Adams who was infamously murdered as a young child and chopped up into bits at the same time as tinned mutton became rations for the Royal Navy and is known for the phrase Sweet FA as coined by the RN when given their rations and not what you think it means.
Always take note of your posts in the past as I know your from down my way but this post ready hit the nail....

born at dorking cottage hospital, lived at leatherhead and Boxhill for 38yrs, later lived in Alton for a while and still have a couple of kids living there...
so know them all very well... 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Always take note of your posts in the past as I know your from down my way but this post ready hit the nail....

born at dorking cottage hospital, lived at leatherhead and Boxhill for 38yrs, later lived in Alton for a while and still have a couple of kids living there...
Dragged up in alton only left there in 2000. Parents at greenfields we lived on wooteys

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Family of 4 adults and 3 children rents a Villa with Pool in Menorca, in August, flights included, total cost £3400.

A resort outside of Newquay will rent the same family a "Lodge" for £7300.

YEEEHHH! Come down 'ere m'ansoms us'll take yer money!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Family of 4 adults and 3 children rents a Villa with Pool in Menorca, in August, flights included, total cost £3400.

A resort outside of Newquay will rent the same family a "Lodge" for £7300.

YEEEHHH! Come down 'ere m'ansoms us'll take yer money!
It's been the same for years way cheaper to rent self catering accommodation in France than the UK but then again probably cheaper to buy as well.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Can I add staffs to that, best place in the world for me, always nice to go away but nicer to come home.
Love to see ," the north " on that M1 sign (y) :sun:
Yes you can chaser ! - it was simply that I could have added every county to the list, so thought I'd stop! Just ruddy handy being smack in the middle, with so many different things and places on offer all within striking distance, was my point. Difficulty these days perhaps, is finding a bus stop within easy walking distance though........ if you stay at a campsite on the Staffs moors, it's not likely you'll pass Lichfield cathedral whilst out walking .......

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes, though I rarely had one when working and not in the middle of a disaster.
Fortunately we live in a country that insists all employees take their minimum holiday entitlement
And we are fingers crossed coming out of the disaster ...enough to start going away in the UK with precautions
We can't of course travel in Europe or elsewhere
One wonders why you are on a forum that is specifically for people holidaying ( or full time living and travelling) ?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Parents on whitedowns by the Butts, I lived at a few places around... drank in the white horse and the double Axe.... this was from 78-84...
Cliff Portwood ex pompey player owned the boozer around that time and changed the name to the gentleman Jim after Jimmy Dickinson, We lived with 18 metres of the pub ! Cliff had 2 stunning daughters. I did a saturday job in key markets over the road from the white horse and worked at the sports centre as a coach of many sports 84-89 and played fotty for Alton Town and Squash for Alton at that time.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Cliff Portwood ex pompey player owned the boozer around that time and changed the name to the gentleman Jim after Jimmy Dickinson, We lived with 18 metres of the pub ! Cliff had 2 stunning daughters. I did a saturday job in key markets over the road from the white horse and worked at the sports centre as a coach of many sports 84-89 and played fotty for Alton Town and Squash for Alton at that time.
Yes, I remember Jim, with a goatie beard, I think he had a nice daughter too..🤔 there was a woman milkman/delivery person, not a bad looker always played pool in there with a see through top on..😳

had a pub for a little while with friend mark clancy, the fur and feathers just past lasham dandare service airfield where I learnt all my skid pan practice in the snow on there.. I married a barthollamew, a well known family..😱 it didn’t last long..🤣

my two daughters still live in alton.. and my mum's grave is there so still visit...

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Our neighbours have a new little campsite which is away from the crowds in the beautiful Ystwyth valley. Perfect if you like walking in woods hills or riverside Dolauafon Campsite.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Here in Cornwall, the Campsites prices, to me are a rip off. By the time they charge you for your awning couple of teens your dog, your toad, £50 A NIGHT?:Eeek:

If you are still a little doubtful about the CV19 then you will use your own facilities to the max, so end up paying £50 for a patch of grass ??

I honestly can't see the sense in that!, and for what? to be ripped off by traders at Lands End? Looe? Polperro? Padstow? and the biggest rip off of all? Even bigger than Lands End? The Eden Project. If you want to see the inside of a greenhouse, come to my place, pay me nearly £30 and I'll give you a tour of my 8X6, I'll flog you a mass produced Pasty for over $4 might even bung in a bottle of "Cornish Tapwater" (you supply the bottle) for a couple or three quid .

Shop around before you come down here! There are plenty of C/S and C/Ls on bus routes, plenty of towns without big name fish & chip places, wonderful views and walks over the SW Coastal paths, the real Cornwall!

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Bury St. Edmunds: lovely town centre with plenty of places to eat & drink, Abbey Gardens to walk round & relax, Cathedral to visit. 5 MH bays in Ram Meadow car park for overnight stops. & a short walk to the town centre.
Nearby: Ickworth House, NT, Good MH parking.
11 miles to Thetford where some of "Dad's Army" was filmed, with museum and a bronze of Captain Mainwaring sitting on a bench.
Also Bressingham Steam museum a short drive away.
Hope to see some of you around :giggle:
I think it was a pub called The Walnut there that held the record for the smallest pug in England??

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Don’t come to my village,we’ve got enough foreigners coming out from their towns already,walking their poxy labradoodles and leaving dog poo bags hanging in the tress......beggar off!!!! :ROFLMAO: o_O:ROFLMAO::moon2::moon2:

DITTO

WE have 10 miles ish of old railway lines to walk far too many bags of do hanging from the trees from the Townies who don't know those pretty baa lambs are headed for their mint sauce in a few months

Plus we've got lots of nice pubs where you can park a motorhome - - not telling you where keeping them all a secret

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019

Whereas I was born in Dorking Hospital, lived in Effingham, Dorking, Mickleham and Leatherhead before Mark & I met and married and moved to our first house in Basingstoke.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Come to Hamble . Lovely cobble stoned high street , several lovely pubs and great views of the hamble river . However you have to put up with the yellow welly brigade who sit on their gin palaces and talk in over loud voices

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
or full time living and travelling) ?
^^^^^^^^^^
Fortunately we live in a country that insists all employees take their minimum holiday entitlement
News to me? My wife has worked as an employee & they just pay her holiday money?
Certainly doesn't apply if you own your own business or are self employed ?
One wonders why you are on a forum that is specifically for people holidaying ( or full time living and travelling) ?
I thought it was about motorhomes?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I can’t think of a lot here. The fishing heritage centre is only open when they can find staff, pre COVID. I suppose Cleethorpes has lots of chippies and the sea front. The meridian line runs through there as well.
The Lincolnshire wolds have some nice walks not far from here.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I was out and about today.

In my back yard.

Within 4 hours:

Seen

3 blatant street drug deals.
2 people throwing rubbish from car windows
2 people driving at ridiculous high speed in a 30
30 plus driving using mobiles

And streets full of rubbish.
49F8D336-2171-4EAB-8670-C497CF20B8C9.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I can't see why you would want to come to my town, nothing but trees and animals in the terribly boring new forest one side. On the other side is the small town of Christchurch with it's ancient priory church, castle ruins, the two quaysides. Then onward to that awful Bournemouth with miles and miles of sandy beach and entertainment to suit all day and night. Or Poole with the infamous sandbanks where all the footballers houses are and the second largest natural harbour in the world, where Baden Powel started the scouting movement on an island infested with red squirels.

It really is such a dreary boring place to live. I have no idea why it is so popular

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back