Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Funsters,
After some advice please.
Currently got a Laika as per pic below. Always had coachbuilt Motorhomes and this one really is lush for an old girl.
We spend much of our time in the Highlands of Scotland. I noticed on our last jolly that the view out the front windscreen was somewhat limited height-wise. Got me thinking that an A-class with a large windscreen screen would suit our needs better….something along the lines of a Hymer, Rapido or this one….
It’s at least a 10k jump from what we currently have and just want to be sure I’m not looking at it through my rose tinted glasses…
Has anyone done the same or vice versa that could give some input?

IMG_5095.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tbf neither are the coachbuilts , fiat ,Peugeot and citroen are more common than transit. Mostly roller team etc that use transits , some hobbies etc.
But most of the big brands use the sevel bases
You are out of date boy, with the shortage of Fiat chassis loads have changed to Tranies.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
With my (full width, but short length 😅) a-class, I generally only get 27mpg. It's a Fiat based, pre-adblue Euro6d manual with the 150bhp engine. I tend to stick to an indicated 60-65mph and I'll hold that speed going up hills.

I got close to 30mpg coming back from Wales the other day along the A55, M56 and down the M6. There was almost no wind and I following trucks most of the way on cruise control... although I do tend to get nearer 70mph on overtakes. I got far better mpg on the PVC I previously had.
We float around 25-28 mpg, depending on which of is driving. My wife always does better than me, I blame my blue light driver training.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We float around 25-28 mpg, depending on which of is driving. My wife always does better than me, I blame my blue light driver training.
I tend to get roughly the same economy on cruise control. I think that because I'll anticipate slow downs and to hit gaps between cars for overtakes, slightly build speed before hills (so not chug as much going up) and I let off at the crest while the cruise keeps pushing for a bit, I don't need to hit the throttle as hard as cruise might. I also play a game where I lose if I have to brake. It encourages me to be smooth. But I do tend to drive a few mph faster without cruise, which probably kills any benefit. 😁

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
There was almost no wind and I following trucks most of the way on cruise control...
Dangerous game I think ,trucks tend to kick up stones , I used to follow them to reduce wind resistance but no more , the windows on A Class tend to be more vertical so more susceptible a stone breaking them , a coach built tends to more angular & deflect stones better , I broke my A class within 600 miles of new , luckily I was on ma way to the dealers to have the delaminating window replaced 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Dangerous game I think ,trucks tend to kick up stones , I used to follow them to reduce wind resistance but no more , the windows on A Class tend to be more vertical so more susceptible a stone breaking them , a coach built tends to more angular & deflect stones better , I broke my A class within 600 miles of new , luckily I was on ma way to the dealers to have the delaminating window replaced 😊
I think it's more that a-classes have larger windows, taller and wider, which makes them more likely to take a hit.

The biggest hits I've had have been from stuff tossed across from the other carriageway. And a-roads seem to be worse, probably because there's more to be picked up. I've got a few minor dints, but nothing serious so far.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think it's more that a-classes have larger windows, taller and wider, which makes them more likely to take a hit.

The biggest hits I've had have been from stuff tossed across from the other carriageway. And a-roads seem to be worse, probably because there's more to be picked up. I've got a few minor dints, but nothing serious so far.

Better luck next time. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Put a private plate on an A class and a thief would have no idea what year or model of the base vehicle - no recognisable grille or lights.

Coachbuilts you know make and model just looking at it
I think your underestimating "a thief", these are not joy riders, this is their job.
There are multiple apps that give you vehicle details. e.g. Vehicle Smart
Looking a several brands, with the exception of Dethleffs who register Make as Dethleffs the others register Make as the original
chassis manufacturer so using a free app you can easily find year, model (each manufacturer only makes 1 suitable chassis) & engine details.
Yes I believe PVC's are most vulnerable, then B, then A for parts but for resale value it's the opposite way round.
Not thinking of local scams but making the van "disappear".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
We had an A class prior to our present PVC and loved the view from the front. Having said that the view from the PVC is fine as well. As to the A class you have a link to I would be very wary indeed. The awning appears to have been regularly extended to the max which puts a huge strain on the attachment points and according to all manufacturers the awning must only be extended a short distance before being supported by the legs before being rolled out further. If you do go for the A class very careful examination will be needed to assure there are no potential issues with deformation of leaks at the awning points. I see that this is offered as by a private seller who appears to have a large barn although on one of the pictures the motorhome is clearly outside a place with the sign "Cambridge Caravans" Could it be that this is a private sale because the dealer doesn't want any comeback and doesn't want to offer any warranty? Sorry to be so negative but you do need to be very careful with this one I think. Cambridge caravan do not appear to have much stock , only two campers but more caravans and mostly at the lower end of the market price wise. I would doubt the have the finances to deal with any substantial repairs or warranty work.
Thanks muchly for your input iandsm 🙏🏼
And no, it’s not negative at all. It’s great actually, as I hadn’t noticed the extended canopy without the legs down on the other pics bar the first one.
I spoke with the seller last week, turns out he’s a mechanic/owns a few garages/storage sites which would explain the first pic.
When we got down to chatting about the van, he’s owned it 5 years, serviced it when he first got it and not since🙀
Tyres haven’t been changed in his ownership and not sure when they last were, no hab service in his ownership either, given he was storing it indoors he never felt the need - he’s happy for interested buyers to have it hab checked at their expense. There’s also an engine management light on in the dash which he knows is the Maf sensor (apparently common on the Fiats) - £30 part he said.
Me sides are actually sore reading/typing this🙀😂😂😂😂😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Just done 3000 miles to Andalusia and back and averaged 31mpg, mostly non-autoroute. In fact have averaged that over the past four years of ownership. I averaged 32mpg over two years with previous coach built Accordo (Marquis) which was about 200Kg lighter.
Our coachbuilt Laika will average 30mpg which I was pleasantly surprised at for an oldie. She’s platted at 4.2tons and we don’t travel light. Having said that, I remember overtaking a couple of trucks, as I pulled back in I hadn’t realised I’d creeped up to 80mph - I noticed the petrol gauge drop rather quickly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
We've just gone from 2 a classes over the last 6 years to a low profile coachbuilt hymer, reason being I wanted easier access to the cab - 2 doors, and maintenance, also comfort wanted an extra £1,000 to insure an a class just because of the cost of replacement windscreens.
The view is similar, I prefer the coachbuilt as the glass is closer, so you don't notice it so much, on our a class reflections in the side window were horrendous.
On site you will feel more cramped in the cab seats as obviously the body is not so wide, but if you are used to a coachbuilt this is not an issue.

If you do a search there was a long thread on this a month or so ago.
Can you remember what the thread was called Wh05apk , I can’t seem to find it?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Can you remember what the thread was called Wh05apk , I can’t seem to find it?
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you🙏🏼

Upvote 0

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks Mr B , have shied away from left hookers (when it comes to Motorhomes at least) as some of the roads we frequent are really quite tight with oncoming traffic inc trucks and coaches particularly on the A82 Loch Lomond road. I’ll def try one though now that you’ve mentioned the benefits👍🏻
I was given this tip by a trucker friend which I immediately poo-pooed and I know will give rise to howls of derision from the old-timers on here.
We were chatting about how narrow some of the French tolls were. He said do what I do (He is an owner driver Class-1 with his own Tractor): Go to a supermarket when quiet and park exactly between the lines in a double length bay. Then get someone to move a bit of card on the outside of the windscreen and direct them to exactly line up the card with the white lines ahead of you while you sit in your normal driving position. Then put a small piece of tape to line up with the card. Repeat for the other side. When driving you then know exactly where the side of your van is without guesswork in tight spaces. I tried it and absolutely love it. Tight tolls are a doddle as is just driving down a narrow road and especially when driving my LHD in the UK. This is the view from my driving position. The tape has now fallen off from the sun but left the glue residue which works just as well. The black square is the “biz” for the Norwegian tolls.
IMG_7985.jpeg

As for the “A” class we love it. But our current one is a special build Hymer with extra cupboards in the front rather than a drop-down bed. It makes the cab just part of the interior when the seats are rotated. Would never go back to a coach built unless I lost my C-licence. Couldn’t carry all my toys with me.
Best of luck with your decision.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
I was given this tip by a trucker friend which I immediately poo-pooed and I know will give rise to howls of derision from the old-timers on here.
We were chatting about how narrow some of the French tolls were. He said do what I do (He is an owner driver Class-1 with his own Tractor): Go to a supermarket when quiet and park exactly between the lines in a double length bay. Then get someone to move a bit of card on the outside of the windscreen and direct them to exactly line up the card with the white lines ahead of you while you sit in your normal driving position. Then put a small piece of tape to line up with the card. Repeat for the other side. When driving you then know exactly where the side of your van is without guesswork in tight spaces. I tried it and absolutely love it. Tight tolls are a doddle as is just driving down a narrow road and especially when driving my LHD in the UK. This is the view from my driving position. The tape has now fallen off from the sun but left the glue residue which works just as well. The black square is the “biz” for the Norwegian tolls.
View attachment 909412

As for the “A” class we love it. But our current one is a special build Hymer with extra cupboards in the front rather than a drop-down bed. It makes the cab just part of the interior when the seats are rotated. Would never go back to a coach built unless I lost my C-licence. Couldn’t carry all my toys with me.
Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks, great tip re the tape👍🏻

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Hello Funsters,
After some advice please.
Currently got a Laika as per pic below. Always had coachbuilt Motorhomes and this one really is lush for an old girl.
We spend much of our time in the Highlands of Scotland. I noticed on our last jolly that the view out the front windscreen was somewhat limited height-wise. Got me thinking that an A-class with a large windscreen screen would suit our needs better….something along the lines of a Hymer, Rapido or this one….
It’s at least a 10k jump from what we currently have and just want to be sure I’m not looking at it through my rose tinted glasses…
Has anyone done the same or vice versa that could give some input?

View attachment 899923
Coach built tend to suffer leaks all around the joins, Normally A Class only leak if at all from the front/roof joint which is easy to sort out,

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Coach built tend to suffer leaks all around the joins, Normally A Class only leak if at all from the front/roof joint which is easy to sort out,
But is that still true in 2024? I just bought a new Gottiline and am hoping it's not 😐

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Coach built have a seam going right around the back of the cab joining the Habitation area, and they both are always moving, so to me not worth the risk, but only if your planning on keeping van for 10 years or so.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Coach built have a seam going right around the back of the cab joining the Habitation area, and they both are always moving, so to me not worth the risk, but only if your planning on keeping van for 10 years or so.
I will bear that in mind, I've seen the seal you mention. I'm thinking that 10 years is about the time I'll be using the van, I'm 65 right now and at 75 I'll probably be about ready to hang up my guns and chill. We will see.... 😀

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
That’s a good point, although the A class Cathargo I went to view had damp at the rear roof (I’m guessing from a skylight)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back