A Class or Coachbuilt? (1 Viewer)

David1972

Free Member
Mar 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We have been looking for a new or nearly new motorhome and have narrowed it down to a few models. We ideally want an Auto as both my wife and I have not owned a manual car since 2008 and don't really fancy it on long drives. Also needs a large garage for our 2 electric bikes and sleep 4 as sometimes we will take some of the grandchildren.

Our choices below

Carado i338 Edition 15 A Class which is a 23 plate with only 740 miles with every extra put on and had an original list price of £95k which is up for £77
Sunlight T67S which will be brand new and come in at around 80k once we have added a few extras
Burstner Lyseo 690 with a Citroen Manual which they have on offer for 80k but would need to add a few bits to this. The Auto version is on a Fiat which is £95k which is way above what we want to spend.

What are the thoughts on the models above?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A classes give you a bit more internal space and storage. You also get better insulation. Better view.

Downsides are they can be more expensive to repair (especially the windscreen), often more expensive to service and more rattley to drive.

For us with only 6m, getting the a class meant the drop down bed was over the cab rather than the lounge, meaning we could have the bed down and still use the lounge. Several extra overhead lockers in the lounge. And an extra outside locker because the gas cupboard was under a cab window. So loads of extra space and utility in a small footprint. If we were getting a 7.5m van, it wouldn't have made nearly as much difference.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We've had 2 a class's, and are picking up a coachbuilt next week.

For us ease of maintenance, easy availability of windscreens should you need one and a drivers door!

For us there is no extra space or storage space, we have never used the drop down over cab bed, so it is just extra weight.

Is there really such a big difference in insulation? Maybe if used in the alps long term over winter there may be a benefit, but most use is during mild/warm weather when windows or vents are left open anyway.

Ultimately chose the layout you like and go for that wether a class or coachbuilt.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
There is a benefit to owning a coachbuilt…

You have something to aspire to in an A class😁

Actually having moved from Luton‘s to A class in the last year or so we really appreciate the points that Guigsy mentions above, overall the experience is a much nicer one. Space and view are the main ones we still feel are a benefit today.

Enjoy !

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
A classes give you a bit more internal space and storage..

All depends on which A class and which coach built - they layout and amount of storage built in. My 7.5m coach built with massive garage and loads of internal cupboards/wardrobe/underfloor cubby holes will have far more storage space than many an A class.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Bit of a pointless thread (always is). A class wonders will say A class and coachbuilts owners may disagree. Some may prefer a PVC.

You really need to view and compare a couple of similar size models - i.e a 7 metre fiat based A class with a 7 metre fiat based coach built if you want to get a feel for the differences inside.

The main difference will be the space or feeling of space in the cab/front lounge area. Having viewed dozens of different models I personally I feel its a feeling of extra space rather than much actual extra square footage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Bit of a pointless thread (always is). A class wonders will say A class and coachbuilts owners may disagree. Some may prefer a PVC
I agree with the rest of your comments but disagree it’s a pointless thread for a new owner.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
A class wonders will say A class and coachbuilts owners may disagree. Some may prefer a PVC.
If existing owners just say "we prefer it" or "it works for us" then it might not be helpful to a new potential owner, but if existing owners can say why they prefer it or why it works for them that that would probably be more helpful.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We've had 2 a class's, and are picking up a coachbuilt next week.

For us ease of maintenance, easy availability of windscreens should you need one and a drivers door!

For us there is no extra space or storage space, we have never used the drop down over cab bed, so it is just extra weight.

Is there really such a big difference in insulation? Maybe if used in the alps long term over winter there may be a benefit, but most use is during mild/warm weather when windows or vents are left open anyway.

Ultimately chose the layout you like and go for that wether a class or coachbuilt.
You can have an A class with a drivers door on many models.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You can have an A class with a drivers door on many models.

Not many manufacturers offer a Driver's door if one wants a RHD. The door remains on the RHD passenger side.

It is often then a choice between LHD AND Driver's door or RHD and only passenger's door.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our last one was an A Class Hymer a brilliant faultless motorhome and certainly not rattly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
We looked at a few A class MH’s, but are buying a 7.5m coach built instead.

Having a manual drop down bed is definitely a plus for the A classes we looked at; the coach builds mostly have electric drop down beds, and can have issues with the electric bed motors.

There were two deciding points for us that made us choose a coach built:

1) Sitting in the drivers seat, there seems to be acres of flat dashboard in front of you, which my wife didn’t feel comfortable with. This is particularly noticeable on a Mercedes chassis which has a longer engine compartment than Fiats.

2) The increased service costs because of access issues to the engine compartment with the A class bodywork.

Coming from a PVC, all the A class and coach built MH’s we looked at had great insulation, internal storage and large garages.

Having wet Alde heating is also a big factor as it seems a lot better than the blown air Truma system that we have in the PVC. A double floor also increases the insulation and storage space.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1) Sitting in the drivers seat, there seems to be acres of flat dashboard in front of you, which my wife didn’t feel comfortable with. This is particularly noticeable on a Mercedes chassis which has a longer engine compartment than Fiats.
I'll admit that it's initially disconcerting to feel like you're so far from the edges. But it's the same width and the same distance to the bumper as a coachbuild. Just more of it is inside rather than out. In some ways, it's easier to manoeuvre an a class because if the glass isn't about to hit it, you're clear. No worries about whether the back will make it through.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I found another plus for the A Class with blown air heating is that the front cab area has heating ducts as well as all underfloor lockers so no cold spots when it’s cold outside.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've had both a coachbuilt and my current A class.
Both similar lengths- the coachbuilt had a French bed and the other bed made up from the dinette- not ideal.
The A class has a fixed double and a drop down in the cab area.
I still have the lounge space and can make myself a drink without disturbing others.
As far as rattles the coachbuilt was worse and my A class unusually has 2 proper cab doors.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'll admit that it's initially disconcerting to feel like you're so far from the edges. But it's the same width and the same distance to the bumper as a coachbuild. Just more of it is inside rather than out. In some ways, it's easier to manoeuvre an a class because if the glass isn't about to hit it, you're clear. No worries about whether the back will make it through.
The acres of dashboard and rather "inboard" driving position that you get on most A class vans is something that would put me off as well, yes I accept that everything is actually in the same relative position so it's just perception, thankfully there are a few A class vans around that don't suffer this issue so we always have a choice.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The acres of dashboard and rather "inboard" driving position that you get on most A class vans is something that would put me off as well, yes I accept that everything is actually in the same relative position so it's just perception, thankfully there are a few A class vans around that don't suffer this issue so we always have a choice.
My Mobilvetta has the same cab floorpan and steering position as a standard Ducato (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Had 2 A Class's wouldn't have anything else now. More internal space, far better insulated & no draughts.

Easier to drive and reverse due to the flat sides and bigger better mirrors. Quieter, no rattles, drop down bed can be used and you still have a useable lounge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

David1972

Free Member
Mar 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Thank you so much everyone for there replies. Was definitely not expecting so many in such a short amount of time! Think I am leaning towards the Carado i338 Edition 15. It is up for £77k which I think is a bit high (It has a lot of extras but some of these would not increase the resale value by much). What are the thoughts on this? Was not sure if could add link to advert do did not risk it.

Here is the full spec

Motorhome Depot Ellesmere and Shrewsbury is pleased to offer for sale this immaculate March 2023 Carado i338 Edition15 with only 740 miles on the clock. The motorhome is based on a Fiat Ducato chassis with a 2.2l, 140bhp diesel engine on a 9 speed ZF automatic transmission. The cab has electric windows and mirrors, cruise control, Xzent F270 navigation head unit and entertainment system (£1,900), Cat1 S37 alarm (£1,270), Scorpion S5-VTS Tracker and immobilizer (£640), air-con and blinds.The I338 is one of the most popular Carado models available with a spacious internal design and great size storage spaces. The layout is two rear single beds, a front drop-down double bed, a shower/toilet area and kitchen area midships and a front lounge/dinette area. This motorhome has the Edition15 package that includes new decals, 16” alloy wheels, a LED TV, Nebula upholstery, Combi 6E heating system, a Thule Omnistor wind out awning, a satellite dish and an upgraded habitation door.You enter the motorhome into the lounge/dinette with a forward facing bench seat with 2 belts and a smaller side facing seat at the entrance with a shoe locker beneath. With the swivelling captains chairs and the removable table you can dine 5 people comfortably. Above the dinette is a large double pull down bed. The kitchen has a 3 way fridge with separate freezer, an oven and grill, a 3 gas hob, a sink with mixer taps and lots of storge space. Also mid-ships is the washroom which has a electric toilet, shower with screen, sink, mirrors and storage for toiletries etc. The rear bedroom has two single beds with cupboards and good lighting. The bed can be made into a large double with infill pieces. Other extras included in this motorhome are a 155 watt Solar panel (£1,130), 5G Wi-Fi (£800), 2 X Gas bottles (£370), Rear number plate camera (£560) and bespoke bed linen (£300 - 2 sets, 1 still in the bag). This motorhome would cost in the region of £95,000 new with the extras added

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Most do to be fair, it's only the bigger and more expensive vans like Concorde, Morelo, N+B etc that give you a more forward and wider driving position.
I’m not sure what makes you say that. My 6m Aclass has a noticeably bigger gap between the front seats than the coachbuilts which I’ve looked at recently. There is also more access between the side bench and the dinette than around those multi faceted tables.

My bed drops down over the dashboard but I can leave the satnav in place and the dashcam hangs under the bed. The lounge (double dinette) is unaffected, as is the side bench so “living is easy”.

Gordon
Also the floor is level from front to back: important in the night for folks of our age!

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Thank you so much everyone for there replies. Was definitely not expecting so many in such a short amount of time! Think I am leaning towards the Carado i338 Edition 15. It is up for £77k which I think is a bit high (It has a lot of extras but some of these would not increase the resale value by much). What are the thoughts on this? Was not sure if could add link to advert do did not risk it.

Here is the full spec

Motorhome Depot Ellesmere and Shrewsbury is pleased to offer for sale this immaculate March 2023 Carado i338 Edition15 with only 740 miles on the clock. The motorhome is based on a Fiat Ducato chassis with a 2.2l, 140bhp diesel engine on a 9 speed ZF automatic transmission. The cab has electric windows and mirrors, cruise control, Xzent F270 navigation head unit and entertainment system (£1,900), Cat1 S37 alarm (£1,270), Scorpion S5-VTS Tracker and immobilizer (£640), air-con and blinds.The I338 is one of the most popular Carado models available with a spacious internal design and great size storage spaces. The layout is two rear single beds, a front drop-down double bed, a shower/toilet area and kitchen area midships and a front lounge/dinette area. This motorhome has the Edition15 package that includes new decals, 16” alloy wheels, a LED TV, Nebula upholstery, Combi 6E heating system, a Thule Omnistor wind out awning, a satellite dish and an upgraded habitation door.You enter the motorhome into the lounge/dinette with a forward facing bench seat with 2 belts and a smaller side facing seat at the entrance with a shoe locker beneath. With the swivelling captains chairs and the removable table you can dine 5 people comfortably. Above the dinette is a large double pull down bed. The kitchen has a 3 way fridge with separate freezer, an oven and grill, a 3 gas hob, a sink with mixer taps and lots of storge space. Also mid-ships is the washroom which has a electric toilet, shower with screen, sink, mirrors and storage for toiletries etc. The rear bedroom has two single beds with cupboards and good lighting. The bed can be made into a large double with infill pieces. Other extras included in this motorhome are a 155 watt Solar panel (£1,130), 5G Wi-Fi (£800), 2 X Gas bottles (£370), Rear number plate camera (£560) and bespoke bed linen (£300 - 2 sets, 1 still in the bag). This motorhome would cost in the region of £95,000 new with the extras added
It doesn't say what the GVW is but if it's on the 3500kg chassis then it's going to be very difficult to use as a motorhome

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not many manufacturers offer a Driver's door if one wants a RHD. The door remains on the RHD passenger side.

It is often then a choice between LHD AND Driver's door or RHD and only passenger's door.

Or a RHD with only a habitation door and no doors at the front.
Just sayin. (No G)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012

Here is the full spec

Sounds like it has everything you want and some more, it only has the equivelant of a long weekends mileage (for me anyway), so you have effectively an as new van at 18 grand under it's new price without the 1-2 year wait.

I personally have never bought a car/van/MH with resale value in mind, it is there to use and enjoy, re-sale value doesn't come into it......that being said, if you are on a cash deal then by all means squeeze them down if you can.....if this was my deal then I would be going for it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back