Central Bed (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Looking to get my motor home when we retire in 23 months time so am spending this time to gather our thoughts to narrow down exactly what we want.
First thing is the bed.
Our thoughts on the sleeping arrangements.
Can't be bothered to assemble a bed each night
Want to be comfortable
Like sleeping in the same bed
Ease of getting in and out
Go to bed at different times

Leaves a central bed as the best option.
Any thoughts or advice or thoughts?

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We had the exact same requirements and thoughts and have not regretted the decision to go for an island bed. As an other use, pull over the door and you have aseperate room. Ours pushes up to become shorter in day mode

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:Island bed sounds ideal for you. Returning to MH after a wraparound lounge we went for a transverse bed, big mistake when you need to get up in the wee small hours. Now changed to single beds or a double if we want it. Bliss.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:Island bed sounds ideal for you. Returning to MH after a wraparound lounge we went for a transverse bed, big mistake when you need to get up in the wee small hours. Now changed to single beds or a double if we want it. Bliss.
Sorry can't resist:

"Or a double if we want it". !!!

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
My neighbours purchased a new Burstner with a central bed that lowered from above about a year ago, this year they traded it in for one with two rear singles above a garage. ( I believe they can be made into a large double) I asked why the change? Apparently if his wife went to bed early he had nowhere to sit and read, most of the cupboards were inaccessible with the bed down so it wasn't working for them. Lord knows what that little error cost them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
The van I am looking at has a central bed at the back with a sliding door separating it from the rest of the van.
I like to go to bed so no problem if she wants to read in the front area.
Also it divides if we need a bit of quiet time.
From the comments it appears that our thoughts of a central bed with a sliding door is the suitable choice.

Upvote 0

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
As all the experts on here will tell you, its all about compromise.
Unless you go for a big tag axle. With the island bed you will lose abit of space up front in the dinette or whatever its got.
I have an island bed and like that you can close door and seperate bedroom from rest.
Theres nothing stopping you using the bed to sit and read or power nap in the daytime either(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
That is my thought, having that extra room would make being away for a month easier.
Hopefully we will be mostly living outside but sometimes and on some trips will be living inside.
And having a but of space to get away is sometimes nice, especially if you can lay down to relax.
The dinette area is ok with the 2 driving seats reversed and 3 other seats.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Autotrail Tracker RB has a transverse "island" bed which helps to keep the overall length down. Have considered it as a replacement, ours is currently a "French" bed.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
As with anything I think it's all down to personal taste, for us it has to be an island bed as we have had our fair share of making up the bed every evening ( what a hard life ) :LOL:
We had a fixed corner bed in our caravan before our MH and found it quite small. So it's an island bed every time for us

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only problem with an island bed is you sacrifice garage space. Our last two vans have singles at the rear and drop down double at the front, works for us.
Important to us are, fixed bed, fixed table, decent shower & big garage.

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Only problem with an island bed is you sacrifice garage space. Our last two vans have singles at the rear and drop down double at the front, works for us.
Just waiting to pick up new for us Burstner ixeo 726 with just that layout, Drop down bed in the middle works for the grandkids.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
We looked at the transverse island bed which initially thought was a good idea as you said reduced the length but on seeing it was a bit of a tight fit both at the "rear" side between the bed and the back of the van, also the length only just fitted so a squeeze at the foot of the bed.
We are looking for a van that can take a 125cc motorcycle, so looking for a large garage.
At the moment the Pilote fills this as the Garage height/bed is adjustable giving a max of 1200mm height.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We looked at the transverse island bed which initially thought was a good idea as you said reduced the length but on seeing it was a bit of a tight fit both at the "rear" side between the bed and the back of the van, also the length only just fitted so a squeeze at the foot of the bed.
We are looking for a van that can take a 125cc motorcycle, so looking for a large garage.
At the moment the Pilote fills this as the Garage height/bed is adjustable giving a max of 1200mm height.

Hi Jands,

I love the Pilote Range (we've just bought one with a large rear garage) but you will need to be careful about placing a 125cc M/C in the garage due to axle weights and payload considerations etc.

If you opt for a 7.5m long Pilote Pacific variant then I would certainly add the air assist & 16" allow wheel package to alloy for such a large weight being placed in the garage space and subsequently more weight over the rear axle.

If you overload a Pilote's rear garage (on a 7.5m van with non Al-Ko or non air assist equipped chassis) then your steering will become light and potentially dangerous.

Good choice though in terms of bed layout.

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
We have the same requirements ... fixed bed, fixed table (but not one that completely dominates the living area), large garage, large shower and a living area where we can both pass each other and the dog without playing "human tetris".

It isn't true that island bed means small (or no) garage ... our soon to arrive Rapido has an island bed which raises and lowers electrically depending on what height you want in the garage. This matches what we had in our Hymer - plenty of room for two electric bikes, chairs etc. Ours also happens to have a much roomier living area than what we had before with two singles.

All personal taste I know, but we much prefer the island bed - you can actually sit up and read in it without being pinned to the side wall in a single bed, there's a side table for your morning tea or late night JD or whatever, and the sleeping area can be made private if we need it - oh and there's a "daytime" position for the bed too.

We will also have a drop down bed in the living area, but doubt we'll use it - in fact we'll probably remove the mattress to give a little extra payload.

Simples :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back