CAUTION TYRES (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just checked the tyres on my 2013 motorhome. Got a frightening shock to discover ALL are badly cracked but 8mm of tread remaining. Never had this happened in 35 years traveling. They are the correct pressure always, covered in the sun and never overloaded. They are Michelin Agillis so I assumed they would last longer.
Just a warning to everyone.
Any funster have a contact for tyres???

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It could be interesting to check the manufacture dates, we bought a 59 plate MH 4 years ago (2013 when bought) so like yours 4 years old, but the tyres were 06, the chassis had sat at Hymer for a year then a dealer unsold and unregistered

the date stamp shows week and year made in that order as a 4 digit marker

images

threw tyres away at 3000 miles

mind you with 8mm tread left you can't have done many miles either

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
It could be interesting to check the manufacture dates, we bought a 59 plate MH 4 years ago (2013 when bought) so like yours 4 years old, but the tyres were 06, the chassis had sat at Hymer for a year then a dealer unsold and unregistered

images

Just over 24000 miles which isn't a lot for Agillis tyres.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017

images

Yes,it would be interesting as this has come up on other threads.
I have tried to find the date on my tyres which are also Michelin Agilis,but can't find it anywhere. I know it's meant to be as your photo but it's a mystery. Mind you,crawling around on my hands and knees on the gravel and peering through the old varifocals did test my patience.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes,it would be interesting as this has come up on other threads.
I have tried to find the date on my tyres which are also Michelin Agilis,but can't find it anywhere. I know it's meant to be as your photo but it's a mystery. Mind you,crawling around on my hands and knees on the gravel and peering through the old varifocals did test my patience.
Normally on the inside tyre wall.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
ebay is a good source , I often use a trader who is legally based in UK at Witney but the tyres are shipped from Germany in 2 to 3 days
at very good prices , as long as you know what spec you need .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Normally on the inside tyre wall.
Where nobody can see it.......I don't belieeeeeeeve it!
Bloody hell,its back to the gravel then.
Inside tyre wall,inside tyre wall,inside tyre wall,INSIDE BXXXXY TYRE WALL.:cry::cry::cry::eek:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Where nobody can see it.......I don't belieeeeeeeve it!
Bloody hell,its back to the gravel then.
Inside tyre wall,inside tyre wall,inside tyre wall,INSIDE BXXXXY TYRE WALL.:cry::cry::cry::eek:
Use your phone or a camera to take a few picks of the inside wall. Need to look at each tyre no guarantee they all came out the factory at the same time.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Use your phone or a camera to take a few picks of the inside wall. Need to look at each tyre no guarantee they all came out the factory at the same time.
Well,of course,I'd thought of that (not)!
Many thanks.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Black Circle often come up with the best prices.
I always thought Black Circles were the best deal. I have been shopping around for the last few days for a pair of tyres for my car. The Black Circle price was £219 per tyre. Today a small local dealer gave me an all in price of £200. The Black Circle website states that they have no need to price match as they will be the cheapest. I contacted them anyway but they were adamant that they provide the lowest sourced price. I said you don't. Other dealers also cheaper. Guess who got my business.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes be careful of the dates I recently enquired about a few sets of advertised " new" tyres on eBay to find out they had 2013 dates on them.
My van is an 08 plate yet has 2 tyres on it dates 06 and two that were replaced in 2015 that have 2012 dates on them. So a lot of places are selling tyres already 2 or 3 years old which buggers up your life expectancy

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
All of this reinforces my view that "camper tyres" are pointless & a massively overpriced con. I firmly believe that simple but decent quality tyres do the job just as well.
Oh & in a past life I was a tyre fitter albeit many years ago.

I've just had four tyres fitted to my motorhome, grand total £250 which included new high pressure valves, date stamped 17.17 now going by my calculations I could afford to change them every couple of years & still have spent less than the price of a set of "camper tyres".

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
All of this reinforces my view that "camper tyres" are pointless & a massively overpriced con. I firmly believe that simple but decent quality tyres do the job just as well.
Oh & in a past life I was a tyre fitter albeit many years ago.

I've just had four tyres fitted to my motorhome, grand total £250 which included new high pressure valves, date stamped 17.17 now going by my calculations I could afford to change them every couple of years & still have spent less than the price of a set of "camper tyres".
Yep I plan to replace all of mine in the next month or so I'm opting for hankook M&S commercial tyres with a 121 load rating, as I'm going to be full timing for the next 18 months they won't be Sat parked up for months anyway

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just replaced all our Mitchein Agillas Tyres plenty of tread but the walls all cracked, won't be buying anymore, replaced them with Hi Fly tyres they run a lot quieter and look a lot better than the Mitchlin and half the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back