CARTHAGO STAND - NEC SHOW, Funsters Offer! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
"Judgemental" - you have already asked that question a day or so ago - and I told you then that I personally don't actually have a build date.month/year - however the Dealer has specifically told me and I've already told you that the "one and only" van in question is a 2015 model which arrived direct from Carthago to him in August 2015.

I don't think anyone even yourself could consider it "old stock" at just 11 or possibly 12 weeks old into the UK at this time surely?
But its not the 2016 model style. So, I have a 2015 Flair, delivered in July 2015 from an October 2014 order through a German dealer. The 2016 models being delivered towards end of this year have changes to the dash, additional options not previously available, a new additional floor plan and other things. I might well have selected the new floor plan and the dash change is a good improvement. BUT I have a 2015 model, new and I do not feel cheated, but it is not a 2016 model, which also is 5% more expensive!!!
Anyway a polarizing thread which if the pissing contest could be ended a real comparison of Apples with Apples, exact model year options, and leave out RHD because it creates a smoke screen, then those interested would see exactly how much better or worse one option is.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
But its not the 2016 model style. So, I have a 2015 Flair, delivered in July 2015 from an October 2014 order through a German dealer. The 2016 models being delivered towards end of this year have changes to the dash, additional options not previously available, a new additional floor plan and other things. I might well have selected the new floor plan and the dash change is a good improvement. BUT I have a 2015 model, new and I do not feel cheated, but it is not a 2016 model, which also is 5% more expensive!!!
Anyway a polarizing thread which if the pissing contest could be ended a real comparison of Apples with Apples, exact model year options, and leave out RHD because it creates a smoke screen, then those interested would see exactly how much better or worse one option is.

You are correct sallylillian - the one van that has been offered by the dealer at £59,995 in my very first post here is indeed a 2015 model as I have stated on a number of occasions - I don't understand what point you are trying to make sorry. Good to hear your pleased with your choice and dealer.

Polarizing thread? I'm just answering posts that have been made such as your own right here - as far as I am concerned there is NO contest on my part - I'm very much aware there are many on the forum that are ardent supporters of importing their MH such as yourselves no doubt, and FAR from trying to put them off as lennyhb is saying - I am very grateful to them for all the good information that they have provided here on the forum.

Apples for apples, exact year options but RHD - I've done that exercise -indeed I obtained quotes from German, Dutch, Austrian and even Slovenian dealers in an attempt to get a good deal - for me, I've ended up with a UK dealer - its as simple as that.

Personal Import suggestion - maybe those of you that have done the personal import thing could start a section on here under "motorhome classified " Motorhome purchase - personal import option" - we all have choices.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
But as you have identified your efforts are worthy of merit, but both sides, the personal importers and the UK purchasers have to have a meeting of minds here. Because I personally imported you believe me to be anti your effort, far from it. When I was dealing I desperately tried to buy from TW, I was prepared to pay more than in Europe by a fair margin. The hassle, the transport costs the flying out to collect all costs that many cast aside or maybe justify coz they bicycled and stayed in a tent, but we had hotel costs, transport all sorts, I wanted to avoid. Just sorting the speedo was a pain in the arse! So if you got 15 % plus from your UK dealer on a like for like, (based on manufacturer EURO price list no kidding yourself stuff) not 2015 v 2016, RHD from a German dealer who really does not want your business unless LHD the price reflecting that etc, you have done well. I do not nor have the inclination to revisit Carthago prices, but I do salute your effort and hope that those with the dealer relationships can share knowledge. My experience last October in gaining target pricing from a UK dealer through members on here was less than fruitful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Well in the many years that we have been motorhoming we have always bought from uk dealers.running a busy retail business we have,not got the time or the desire to buy from abroad.we try and use the small family dealerships,companies that are similar to ours.We bought our N&B Arto from TravelWorld and are very pleased with our deal and the way we have been looked after.We think we have had very good value for our money and the few snags that we have had have been rectified quickly. Just our thoughts and experience.
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Do you know Judge that when someone gets a bee in their bonnet it goes from interesting to boring.
I think though we could not afford one Chris is offering an option and if anyone chooses to take it up, good on Chris for getting the offer for Funsters.

Many thanks Carol for your support - however the post doesn't seem to have made the weekly MotorhomeFun News round up this week I notice - despite actually having close to if not the most views this week.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Many thanks Carol for your support - however the post doesn't seem to have made the weekly MotorhomeFun News round up this week I notice - despite actually having close to if not the most views this week.
Never mind chris you had lots of likes..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Heavens....I wouldn't mind if this a genuine competitive offer....but its not. just blatant advertising trying to move old stock to make way for 2016. Thay just don't want to be stuck with them over the winter... Still refused to answer essential information,IMO when considering a van: build date. month/year...
Or why a factory fresh 2016 A class (10,000 € more) van is cheaper....your money your choice

funny how some have to get personal when challenged...

I was pretty convinced this summer after visiting Carthago City and Hymer factory Carthago were for me.....its only after sifting through threads in German, French and Italian forums have I found out they have just as many problems as other makes.....

If you can spend 200,000 on a liner class and have repeat water ingress problems with roof, windows and bathrooms? ( incidentally liner production suspended due to lack of demand) . Whats my chance with a £55k budget range van, no better and probably safer with cheaper Hymer I think even if not so glitzy.....

Hate to see anyone getting mugged off, don't like what I say? press the ignore button:)

as I said no need for personal digs ..your money your choice. remember this though: All that glitters is not gold & fools rush in where wise men fail to tread

It now turns out the OP does not even have a Carthago or availed himself of this "fantastic" deal..Preferring instead to go for a factory order, exactly as I have been advocating from day one.

precise build date is in the COC documents.

I have already explained how the german market works and what sort of discounts available..who pays sticker price for anything?. So the only £4000 saving disingenuous and a nonsense.

Let me tell you a story:)

This time last year a German dealer I know was given a list of 37 RHD Globecar vans the UK dealers had not managed to sell. They dont pay for them up front only when sold.. if they had them into the new year HMRC wanted them registered and VAT paid or out of the country (some here some still in Germany). I probably helped 7 people purchase one. sent the list out to at least 20+ so who knows. At least 3 purchased by members on here. 2 of them got early flights were back the same day as they are still working, all over the moon with price they paid. I was offered commission but did not feel comfortable taking a cut from others. Dealer does look after me when PX'ing, that's good enough for me. they saved aprox £10K and that on a panel van camper

The end (if only you are thinking:LOL:)

If you want one of these vans I would offer £50K play hard ball and take it from there. If you want a quote and happy with Lhd PM me. dealer does all the changes required and offer fully comp insurance will even deliver. Last time I got a quote for someone it was 400€, problem with that is you dont get the hand over...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It now turns out the OP does not even have a Carthago or availed himself of this "fantastic" deal..Preferring instead to go for a factory order, exactly as I have been advocating from day one.

As you have said yourself more than once - "its all in the detail" - I state even in my first post and in others throughout :

I have already committed myself to the purchase of a vehicle which I have specified and can assure you that having got quotes from all the others is by far the best and furthermore very close to what I would have paid by personally importing it myself. Its also pretty evident to all I don't have one yet as is on order and not due for delivery till March next year - again stated within the posts.

And I've said on more than one occasion I have ordered it to my exact specification.

I apologise to you all for having to read such repeated answers to comments like this but if I don't I will continue to be accused of not answering them.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Freespirit1 I do think you are been very patient , I believe in every one having an opinion and free to put it forward but hi jacking a thread as @Judgemental has done just gets tedious, why Eddie does not start his own thread on the advantages of buying in Europe if he is so keen on it I don't know, I am sure it would be interesting to those reading it then, but on this thread it dilutes his points to boring .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So its not allowed to question the motivation or legitimacy of the offer:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Freespirit1 I do think you are been very patient , I believe in every one having an opinion and free to put it forward but hi jacking a thread as @Judgemental has done just gets tedious, why Eddie does not start his own thread on the advantages of buying in Europe if he is so keen on it I don't know, I am sure it would be interesting to those reading it then, but on this thread it dilutes his points to boring .

Thank you Carol - I agree whole heartedly with your comments - I'm just going to try and ignoring such negativity and hi jacking tack ticks n0w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back