Canterbury P+R impending price increase (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I can't see that this has been posted before so I thought I would just mention that there are plans to increase the price at Canterbury P+R from £3 to £3.50 per day, ie £7 for an overnight stay or £10.50 for 2 nights.

Importantly, the proposal is also to remove the reduced charge of £1 for arriving after 4pm, so you would now always pay the above prices.

Still good value, but it is a steep increase from the days when you only paid one fee for an overnight.

Jim

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Nothing showing on their website about these changes. Must be happening then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Would maybe make more money if you could enter after 8.30pm too.

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Nothing showing on their website about these changes. Must be happening then.

The notice in the P+R says that it is proposed to come into effect on 1st April 2018, good choice of date I thought! There is an address to write to with comments about the proposal but I did not make a note of it.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
One thing is for sure. When it comes to price rises, car parks in towns, at airports, etc, keeping within the inflation figures do not apply. Councils are milking the motorist for all its worth.
Phil

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I can't see that this has been posted before so I thought I would just mention that there are plans to increase the price at Canterbury P+R from £3 to £3.50 per day, ie £7 for an overnight stay or £10.50 for 2 nights.

Importantly, the proposal is also to remove the reduced charge of £1 for arriving after 4pm, so you would now always pay the above prices.

Still good value, but it is a steep increase from the days when you only paid one fee for an overnight.

Jim

I assume that the increase s for all users of the P+R.

The only way MHs pay more than cars is that almost no cars stay o/night so do not pay twice in 24 hours, but of course we have the aire-type facilities. For those who do not know there have been improvements to facilities over the last couple of years - a second tap has been installed so the one near the drain is marked 'Not drinking' because people cannot be trusted to not contaminate it with cassette necks; the other is further away. A large refuse bin has been located opposite the drain ( I was the first to use it, but later found out that the guys who installed had done so without locating the wheelie bin inside the cover, so days later they had to shovel out all the rubbish)

The guy who controls the facility is Colin Ferris at Canterbury City Council and he is very responsive to e-mails, about ideas and thanks those of us who appreciate his efforts, even if for budget reasons they take time to arrive.

About a year ago the overflow parking( to the right on entry, but has to be accessed with caution via the normal car exit lane, was officially signed for MH parking. I believe this is no longer so and that maybe the height barrier on that lane has been re-installed.

Can anyone please provide informaton on current situation.

Now all we have to do is get many other councils to follow suit.

Geoff

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We were down there at the beginning of the week and in the run up to Christmas MHs are not allowed to use the overflow carpark. We parked up there because it's quieter and more level than the aire bit but were asked to move as it's now too busy because of the christmas shoppers. It seems it will be usable again in the new year.

Denise

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Great place to park. And we are glad they shut the gate at 20.30. otherwise all the trucks come in. As they tried to do the night I was there.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Does it still include bus fare into town?

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The increased price quoted for Canterbury was £3.50, aires are frequently 7 Euros or more.

If you read all the posts you would see that you have to pay 3.50 for the day you arrive up to midnight and then another 3.50 = 7 X 2 =14

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
I think the council realise that most of us appreciate this stopover ,and are will not mind slightly higher charge . Also less enlightened councils may realise that not all motorhomers are not FLT s

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Still great value. Don't see why anyone would complain.
I just looked at Scarboroughs P&R and yes, Canterbury is good value.
Ours is £2:40 return per person but only has two drop/pickup points and the site is locked 15 minutes after the last bus has gone.....around 7:15pm
The website says no overnight parking but If you're still in after the gates are locked you're in til morning...no exceptions.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So, it's 24hrs from midnight to midnight ?
I assumed, when I looked into it a couple of weeks ago to park my car for 48hrs, it was 24hrs from arrival.
No at present it is midnight until midnight but if you arrive after 4pm you only pay £1 until midnight & then£3,50 for following day

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
If you read all the posts you would see that you have to pay 3.50 for the day you arrive up to midnight and then another 3.50 = 7 X 2 =14

Not quite right. It will be £3.50 per day, so you pay for the day you arrive, after midnight another day starts - leave then you would pay 2 x £3.50 = £7 - if you then stay for a 2nd night the only extra charge is for your 3rd day, hence 3 x £3.50 = £10.50.

If you were to plan to stay a few times, eg out and back on 2 or 3 trips to the continent per year, then it would be worth getting the pre-payment card which gives you a discount. I have this, you initially load it with £12 which is worth £15 in P+R fees. When the P+R was cheaper it was not worth doing this for most people, but with increased costs it gets better.

For example, you get a card and load it with £12 then travel after the fare increase comes in, you do one overnight going out and one coming back, ie 2 x £3.50 in each direction = £14 total. The £12 you put on your card is worth £15, so you effectively have paid £12 but benefit from £14 of stays and you still have £1 left on your card, which you can then top up for further trips or for visits to Canterbury.

Jim

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not quite right. It will be £3.50 per day, so you pay for the day you arrive, after midnight another day starts - leave then you would pay 2 x £3.50 = £7 - if you then stay for a 2nd night the only extra charge is for your 3rd day, hence 3 x £3.50 = £10.50.

I know that, but I was reponding to 'magicsurfbus' who in his posts No. 17 & 20 was arguing that people would be willing to pay twice the Canterbury price at a French Aire, and I had queried where. He seemed not to have understood that a night at Canterbury would cost 7 pounds not 3.50, so I was showing him that twice the Canterbury price would be 14 pounds, not that two nights at Canterbury would be that.

Geoff

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A French Aire charging 14 pounds? I have never come across one.

Geoff

Plenty of aires and their equivalents in other countries are close to or more than that.

I can't be bothered with a full list but Honfleur & Chamonix are both €12 - €13 per night. Most of the aires along the Riveria/South Coast are similar.

Camper Contact lists 2190 aires that charge more than €10 per night. A two minute search will net you plenty in the €15 - €25 range. Here's just one in Antibes:

https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr...136/motorhome-parking-parking-marineland.aspx

Bruges in Belgium is €19 off season and €25 in high season. That one is actually more expensive than the local municipal campsite but the location is perfect so it's always busy.

Plenty of German Stellplatzes are €15 or more.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last time we stopped the night at Canterbury (Sept) it was only £3.50, although we do depart early for the ferry so maybe it wasn't a midnight to midnight fee then?

Anyway, whatever, £7 isn't bad when you consider the alternatives. The only free parking I know of round there is a trucker's lay-by on the A2.

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Anyway, whatever, £7 isn't bad when you consider the alternatives. The only free parking I know of round there is a trucker's lay-by on the A2.

There is a nearby lay-by which is restricted so that vehicles over 7.5t cannot park there.

It is close to the P+R so may be an option of the P+R is full and you can't park at the Old Gate.

To reach it, imagine that you are leaving the P+R and wanting to travel north via the A2, but you don't want to go through Canterbury city centre. You come out of the P+R, take the 3rd exit as though going to Dover, but then take the Bridge (the place, not the structure) turn-off rather than continuing to Dover. Go up the slip road, turn right at the T junction over the bridge (the structure, not the place), along to the next T junction and then turn right, following the signs for London. The large lay-by is on the right hand side of the road.

I left the P+R in the snow on Sunday morning and there were a few MHs in that lay-by, so clearly some people do not like paying the (current) £6 charge - or maybe they did not know about the P+R.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

If you were to plan to stay a few times, eg out and back on 2 or 3 trips to the continent per year, then it would be worth getting the pre-payment card which gives you a discount. I have this, you initially load it with £12 which is worth £15 in P+R fees. When the P+R was cheaper it was not worth doing this for most people, but with increased costs it gets better.

For example, you get a card and load it with £12 then travel after the fare increase comes in, you do one overnight going out and one coming back, ie 2 x £3.50 in each direction = £14 total. The £12 you put on your card is worth £15, so you effectively have paid £12 but benefit from £14 of stays and you still have £1 left on your card, which you can then top up for further trips or for visits to Canterbury.

Jim

Thanks for that . I didn't realise there was one. I will have to check it out as I usually use the CPR 4 or 5 times when over in the summer.

Last time we stopped the night at Canterbury (Sept) it was only £3.50, although we do depart early for the ferry so maybe it wasn't a midnight to midnight fee then?

What @Whitebirdyman said below.

There is a nearby lay-by which is restricted so that vehicles over 7.5t cannot park there.

It is close to the P+R so may be an option of the P+R is full and you can't park at the Old Gate.

To reach it, imagine that you are leaving the P+R and wanting to travel north via the A2, but you don't want to go through Canterbury city centre. You come out of the P+R, take the 3rd exit as though going to Dover, but then take the Bridge (the place, not the structure) turn-off rather than continuing to Dover. Go up the slip road, turn right at the T junction over the bridge (the structure, not the place), along to the next T junction and then turn right, following the signs for London. The large lay-by is on the right hand side of the road.

I left the P+R in the snow on Sunday morning and there were a few MHs in that lay-by, so clearly some people do not like paying the (current) £6 charge - or maybe they did not know about the P+R.

Or they have arrived too & the barrier has been locked. ? 8.30pm is it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back