Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Clemann You sent me this as a private message, I'm sure it was meant for the forum (y)

Hi,

As a newbie on this forum thought as this is our 1st long trip then I'd ask if any funsters know or recommend a spot near Gib. Having a brilliant time and have now reached Almeria so much fun.
TTFN

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
The marina in La Liinea at €12 per night with water and grey/black dump, easy walk to border crossing. Alternatively the sports club on the opposite side of La Linea, €4 per night with dump only, possible fresh water from beach opposite. Easy walk to border crossing.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just a short way inland is this free aire..
Broken Link Removed

Only been once as we were passing and to check it out. Did look an ok place to spend a few days and do some cycling / walking plus sample the local village.. Free water and toilet / grey dump..

SAM_1919.JPG
SAM_1923.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We stayed at the large car park literally at the southernmost tip of Gib one night, no problem, didn't have much choice as the island was in 'lock-down' for a while due to a mock emergency response at the airport which started around 5.00 pm! This meant that no-one could get in/out for a few hours so rather than try to get through the massive traffic jam afterwards to escape, that evening we sat tight (in the blooming pouring rain) and surfed on the internet etc.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We stayed at the large car park literally at the southernmost tip of Gib one night, no problem, didn't have much choice as the island was in 'lock-down' for a while due to a mock emergency response at the airport which started around 5.00 pm! This meant that no-one could get in/out for a few hours so rather than try to get through the massive traffic jam afterwards to escape, that evening we sat tight (in the blooming pouring rain) and surfed on the internet etc.

The one free car park is now closed. The sports club is a good bet, although the view is better at the marina its got the usual marina dinging noise all night. Both are easy enough to walk to the border. couple of days is usually enough though IMHO.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Both are easy enough to walk to the border. couple of days is usually enough though.
Whit!!!!! Two days walk to the border? Don't think OP's trying to recreate a WWII escape plan?
:imoutahere::imoutahere:
Sorry, sorry sorry!!!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi Playmates
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
One Funster found a spot a little closer eh!! :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for the Aire at the Marina in La Linea. Easy 10 minutes walk to the border. Very pleasant spot.

But was really disappointed with Gibraltar which has really changed in the last 30 years. High street full of shops selling cheap booze, dodgy electronics and even more dodgy jewellery and watches. Reminded me of Andorra.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another vote for the Aire at the Marina in La Linea. Easy 10 minutes walk to the border. Very pleasant spot.

But was really disappointed with Gibraltar which has really changed in the last 30 years. High street full of shops selling cheap booze, dodgy electronics and even more dodgy jewellery and watches. Reminded me of Andorra.
Must admit our views are the same, nothing really there to buy and it's not cheap - better and cheaper stuff in Spain. We went as we were literally passing the 'front door', the ONLY reason I'd go back would be to delve into some of the history of the place and visit the tunnels etc ... not bothered at all about the flipping apes though ... we saw them sitting on a roof and wall of a house and they are NOT a pretty sight! :rolleyes:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We "did" Gibraltar a couple of years ago, camped at La Linea, walked across then got one of the tour taxis. Cost us €70 but we had it to ourselves for a morning, the driver paid all our entrance fees, in total about €40, and waited for us at each visit and I think we did them all. He was very knowledgeable and of course very possessive of his Gibraltarian nationality. Altogether it was an extremely worthwhile visit.

We did go back last year but it was really only a shopping visit and we wouldn't bother again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
you can always go camp with Jim at JASMIN camping, he does not live far from Gibraltar point?;)
... Just watch out for the apes at Jasmin though ... especially when they flash their red bottoms! :rofl:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.

The Tincas agree totally with all you say,

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We stayed on the marina for a couple of weeks recently. The limit is 72 hours but for various reasons they allowed us longer. The marina is a great stopover but La Linea, once you get out of the town centre , is not a nice place. The link is an article in El Pais in English from a couple of days ago describing some of the problems there.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed on the marina for a couple of weeks recently. The limit is 72 hours but for various reasons they allowed us longer. The marina is a great stopover but La Linea, once you get out of the town centre , is not a nice place. The link is an article in El Pais in English from a couple of days ago describing some of the problems there.
Blimey!!! If I'd read that lot I would never have gone there back in December.
I must admit that when we stopped briefly at Carrefour for supplies I stayed with the MoHo while Kate nipped into the store.
For anyone brave enough to venture to La Linea/Gibraltar here is my video of the way in to the marina aire:-

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
An Interesting article. Wont put us off staying at the football ground though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back