Camping Gaz party grill 400…Cadac alternative? (2 Viewers)

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
We have a Cadac safari chef 2, which we’ve used with bottled gas and our external bbq point.
There’s something wrong with it…it takes and age to cook anything on full power. Tried cleaning the jets, as suggested on here, but the burner is stuck solid and won’t unscrew.
Also read a few reports of them ending up in flames!

As we’re going to the NEC show in Feb we’re now thinking of replacing it.
Does anyone have any recommendations at all!
A compact table top style suits us. Have been looking at camping gaz one and the bigger Jetboil.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
How about a new cadac safari chef 2 ....and take your old one to the show and see if their reps can offer some advice/info?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My new van has an outside gas point, we do not normally cook outside, as in BBQs, so its not worth going for a cadac, but would like something like a griddle. Any ideas?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Cadacs come with griddle plates ... and so do lots of other gas bbq's

Not sure whether you are aware, but cadac also do a carry pack of gas cartridges, we have used ours 'away' from the van on picnic benches on Aires to great effect. It also came in handy when the side of the moho with the gas outlet was really windy but in full sun, I was able to cook on the other side of the moho in the sun and out if the wind !!

I assume the cartridge pack would work with other gas bbq's so long as you had the right connections.

Did someone say that a gas BBQ isn't actually a BBQ ....? :reel:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
How about one of theses Cadacs ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
How about one of theses Cadacs ?

We have had our 2-Cook Pro from when Cadac first bought them to market and it's been a great bit of kit with the versatility of two burners, two grill plates and two saucepan/frying pan supports that you can use in any combination. We were using a Cadac Safari Chef 2 before and only swapped to the 2-Cook Pro because with being big meat eaters, we struggled with the Cadac Safari Chef 2 grill plate not being big enough to cook all we wanted in one go.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We have had our 2-Cook Pro from when Cadac first bought them to market and it's been a great bit of kit with the versatility of two burners, two grill plates and two saucepan/frying pan supports that you can use in any combination. We were using a Cadac Safari Chef 2 before and only swapped to the 2-Cook Pro because with being big meat eaters, we struggled with the Cadac Safari Chef 2 grill plate not being big enough to cook all we wanted in one go.

We bought the 2-cook pro at a motorhome show nearly two years ago and like you love the versatility.

OP
OP
Jammi
Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
We’ve only had the safari chef for about 3yrs so a bit reluctant to get another seeing how crap this one has turned out!

Good thinking to take it along to the show and see what they say though.

OP
OP
Jammi
Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Forgot to add we don’t use it as a bbq, we have a little charcoal bbq for that.
Use it for frying/cooked breakfasts as we don’t like greasing up the van.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I've just got one of these for Christmas. Obviously haven't had a chance to use it yet. Ideal as we don't have an external Gas point.
Cadac Compact BBQ.jpg

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Weve got the pro cook 2 weve had many different grills and cookers previously and the pro cook 2 is better
Having two seperate burners makes it more adaptable allowing a griddle and a saucepan at the same time
Its plenty big enough for two people or to griddle meat
Or fish for four

OP
OP
Jammi
Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
So is the pro cook 2 Cadac more robust and reliable than the Cadac safari chef 2?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We have the safari chef 2 (or is the 30? -I cant remember but they both look the same) but we have the high pressure one for use with disposable canisters. No problems with cooking time and I like the portability of canisters. They seem to last for ages too.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It offers different options......
For me one if the best things about a 'round' cadac, is the ability to cook a pizza (using pizza stone) and being able to put the lid over it so it also cooks the pizza from 'above' as it simulates an oven (always use the griddle plate in conjunction with the pizza stone though!!)

We have several cadacs for different locations/trips but our default is the safari chef 1 as it stows better than the safari chef 2.
We keep one pro cook at our static along with a safari chef 2 and a larger cadac ( can't remember which one it is) and usually only carry our safari chef 1 in our moho, unless we are going to a rally type event or somewhere we may be staying for longer than a couple of days, when we might take a pro cook and camping kitchen to set up and leave set up while we are there.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We have the safari chef 2 (or is the 30? -I cant remember but they both look the same) but we have the high pressure one for use with disposable canisters. No problems with cooking time and I like the portability of canisters. They seem to last for ages too.
You can now get a portable power pack for the low pressure cadacs, which offers greater flexibility (it uses gas cartridges) - to me it was always the downside of the lp version that it didn't offer the ability to go and sit away from the moho but the portable power pack has resolved that for me at least!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
So is the pro cook 2 Cadac more robust and reliable than the Cadac safari chef 2?

Never had the wind blow out the burner because the lid acts as a wind break. I just turn out 2-Cook Pro against the wind direction.
Last year at rally at Quackers, we cooked over 100 rashers of bacon in one session for bacon rolls on our Cadac 2-Cook Pro and having the two griddle plates on the two burners kept the flow of bacon rolls going for the waiting queue.
We normally cook the meat on one griddle plate and cook mushrooms or veg in a saucepan on the other burner.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We have the Napoleon TravelQ 285 but with the scissor cart attachment and optional griddle plate for half of the cooking area. Very versatile and use it all year round for cooking even at home. One advantage is that Napoleon produces a version certified for the U.K. market rated for a 30mb gas supply, so a good match for running off of a MoHo’s BBQ point. Whichever appliance you decide on it’s worth checking what the data badge states - running a 37mb rated BBQ on a 30mb supply might not give a noticeable lack of performance at the height of summer, but it could be a different story when the temperature drops.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back