Calcium build up (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Living in the Highlands we don't get calcium build up in our water system. However whilst we were travelling through europe last year we noticed thee kettle was getting deposits in it.
Our van was bought second hand and came from southern/midlands area. So my point is how do we know what the Truma boiler is like if you live or use your vans in these areas ? Does it get get fouled up with these deposits ? Do you clean it with something ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Use citric acid about every other year seems to do the trick. We live in a hard water area but don't usually fill up the water here as we usually only tour abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Citric acid every year for us. Very hard water here in the south.

By it via amazon and used about 2kgs of the stuff.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Be careful with citric acid if you have a Webasto heater. It can leave you with a very big bill for a new heater as the acid can corrode the aluminium water vessel.
That said, I have a Webasto and I use citric acid to descale it but I only leave it in for an hour and flush it out very, very thoroughly. :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We were at Alde having our heating serviced the other day and were warned about using acid products to clean the system.
The acid can react badly with the stainless steel boiler and ruin it.
Their recommendation is to use Puriclean Which will clean the water system.
I don’t know how effective it is at shifting lime scale though.

They also warned us about filling with desalinated water in Spain and Portugal.
The salty water can damage the boiler.

Richard.

Oct 10, 2023
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9648DF
Exp
Since 2007
Do you just stick the vinegar/acid/whatever in your fresh water thanks and then let the heating system fill up for a while before draining it ? Is there anywhere that is easy to see if you have calcium in the hot water system ? We live in an area with the V V hard water, I'm always thinking about the house but never considered the motorhome before !

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Will be watching this as my van is coming up to 3 years old soon and apart from having the engine serviced twice I have done nothing else to it, did wonder if it needs any maintenance to it.
We live down south and as the water comes through chalk it’s very hard.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I mix citric acid with warm water in buckets in my house. Then tip them into van water tank. Leave for it to do its job. Then run into boiler by using hot taps. Fire boiler up to temp then again leave to do its job. Then run the water through all taps into waste water tank. Leave there to do it’s thing. I then drain it out. And you can see the white scale it contains.
I then flush through with clean water.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Use citric acid about every other year seems to do the trick. We live in a hard water area but don't usually fill up the water here as we usually only tour abroad.
Don't travel to Spain,,kettle full of lime scale in a month,,,good jib vinegars cheap to descale it.BUSBY.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Living in the Highlands we don't get calcium build up in our water system. However whilst we were travelling through europe last year we noticed thee kettle was getting deposits in it.
Our van was bought second hand and came from southern/midlands area. So my point is how do we know what the Truma boiler is like if you live or use your vans in these areas ? Does it get get fouled up with these deposits ? Do you clean it with something ?
I would leave it alone. The deposits actually protect the boiler from corrosion. Yes, if you live in a high hardness area and use the van a lot you might have to remove the scale from time to time. Your soft water will start to dissolve the deposit over time

Oct 10, 2023
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9648DF
Exp
Since 2007
I'm always thinking about the house but never considered the motorhome before !
Just finished de cal my Truma. Can't beleive how much calcium came out!

20231022_142925.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back