Is citric acid a good idea for cleaning out water tanks (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
If citric acid is good to use how much should I use in a 100l tank?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I use 500g citric acid per 50 litres of water which is the ratio that Truma used to recommend for their own product which pretty much consisted of citric acid.

Truma AquaStar 1 - Descaler
  • AquaStar 1 is very effective in removing limescale from your drinking water system, along with the bacteria present in the limescale
  • The powder rids the water completely of the otherwise unpleasant odour and taste
  • Thanks to its gentle action on metals and seals, AquaStar 1 is particularly well suited to recreational vehicles
  • AquaStar 1 should be used regularly twice a year
Product coverage: 500 g powder (citric acid) for up to 50 litres tank volume

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Dobbsters
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Thanks Stroppy Bird, I'll give it a go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I found concentrated lemon juice (citric acid) very effective for descaling a kettle and it left no aftertaste.

In more dilute form it sounds like the right stuff for cleaning the fresh tank and the Truma.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Dobbsters
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Stroppy Bird Thanks for your help, seems to have cleared out some gunk and it feels better having done it!
Thankyou too SpeedyDux and ctc- will try cola next time (y)

Upvote 0
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Stroppy Bird Thanks for your help, seems to have cleared out some gunk and it feels better having done it!
Thankyou too SpeedyDux and ctc- will try cola next time (y)
If your adding food grade (cheap on amazon) citric acid to the fresh water tank, it’s worth descaling your boiler at the same time.

1 tablespoon citric acid per litre of water. Add about 20 or 30 litres of the solution to the empty fresh water tank and pump into the boiler. Heat up, switch off and then leave for 2 or 3 hours.

Empty the boiler into the empty waste tank through the taps. Run what’s left of the citric acid in the fresh tank through the taps as well, into the waste. Add some fresh water to the fresh tank and flush through the boiler. Go for a drive to slosh the citric acid solution around the waste tank. Leave for a day or two and drain.

Once a year keeps the boiler clean and tanks fresh. ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Dobbsters
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Thankyou Makingtrax, i wasn't sure wether to do the boiler with citric acid so will do that soon, i get the food grade c/a from Amazon as i use it for elderflower cordial so usually have some knocking about. We live in cornwall so our water is not hard but i am not sure where Dobby (moho) came from so may well be a bit furred up perhaps, thanks for your instructions ?

Upvote 0

JohnT UK

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
dependant on the boiler type it may have a stainless steel tank liner and you may be building problems for the long term extract below from the british stainless steel association ref https://www.bssa.org.uk

Disinfection of stainless steel equipment
Chemical disinfectants are often more corrosive than cleaning agents and care must be exercised in their use.
Hypochlorites
Hypochlorites, chloramine and other disinfectants can liberate free chlorine, which can cause pitting.
Sodium hypochlorite or potassium hypochlorites are often used in commercial sterilising agents. If these substances are used with stainless steel, the duration of the treatment should be kept to minimum and followed by thorough rinsing with water.
At higher temperatures, chloride-containing sterilising agents should not be used with stainless steel.
Milton solutions (hypochlorite & chloride) can be very aggressive to stainless steels.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
dependant on the boiler type it may have a stainless steel tank liner and you may be building problems for the long term extract below from the british stainless steel association ref https://www.bssa.org.uk

Disinfection of stainless steel equipment
Chemical disinfectants are often more corrosive than cleaning agents and care must be exercised in their use.
Hypochlorites
Hypochlorites, chloramine and other disinfectants can liberate free chlorine, which can cause pitting.
Sodium hypochlorite or potassium hypochlorites are often used in commercial sterilising agents. If these substances are used with stainless steel, the duration of the treatment should be kept to minimum and followed by thorough rinsing with water.
At higher temperatures, chloride-containing sterilising agents should not be used with stainless steel.
Milton solutions (hypochlorite & chloride) can be very aggressive to stainless steels.
Not applicable.

Upvote 0

JohnT UK

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
any reason its not applicable PhilandMena? out of interest rather than being confrontational

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
any reason its not applicable PhilandMena? out of interest rather than being confrontational
I fail to understand how my reply of 'not applicable, is seen as confrontational. However as the old saying goes there's nowt so queer as folk and on that little quotation will leave you to it, me old fruit pastel. Have a good weekend.

Upvote 0

JohnT UK

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
possibly because you failed to read my intent, it was I that was trying to not be confrontational, and asking YOU to expand a bit on the NA statement with fact. happy roaming

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
possibly because you failed to read my intent, it was I that was trying to not be confrontational, and asking YOU to expand a bit on the NA statement with fact. happy roaming
Your bang on and do I feel like a right wally right now. :unsure: Not the first time either. LOL Anyway, my boiler is a Webesto and it's guts are Aluminium. The operating manual says to descale every year or two with white vinigar. I empty the water and boiler pour in about 5 litres of vinigar then about 10 lts of cold water turn the pump on and fill the boiler. I then switch on the boiler heater and leave for about 3 hours then drain the boiler direct and flush the water tank and boiler through with a shed load of water and it's job done.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back