Brkdwn/Accdnt in Europe, you think you're covered??? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In torrential rain, in a crowded city where we had just arrived, we thought it was - we needed help! None forthcoming from the AA, a kind car park attendant called a mechanic who couldn't help but who told us where the Citroen dealer was. The AA could have done that but they didn't want to know!!
I can't agree that a broken wiper motor required an emergency call-out ... you were parked, safely no doubt, and it didn't stop the vehicle actually being driven ... even if you had to wait for the rain to stop. Not my idea of an emergency by any stretch of the imagination! If however it happened on a motorway with an exit miles away that would be another matter due to the hazard to not only others but the danger to you.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I never claimed it was an emergency - I said we needed help, which we did. No doubt you would have known, by clairvoyance I assume, where to find the nearest Citroen dealer! It's very easy to comment on and judge someone else's problem and actions isn't it?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I never claimed it was an emergency - I said we needed help, which we did. No doubt you would have known, by clairvoyance I assume, where to find the nearest Citroen dealer! It's very easy to comment on and judge someone else's problem and actions isn't it?
BUT it is a recovery/breakdown service, NOT a general 'help us' service.

Also I'm NOT commenting you purely on your actions but from my own experience ... we had a problem, more 'serious' than yours, when we had a leak on the oil filter of our PVC in Germany which we noticed when we parked the van, we decided to try to sort it ourselves as we didn't feel it was reasonable to call out recovery as it hadn't made the vehicle undrivable/dangerous etc. I order to find a garage we went to a local shop (can't remember exactly what it was as it was a couple of years ago) and asked them if they knew of anywhere, they looked in their phone book and gave us the address of a local garage and as it was only a few miles away we drove there. We had to wait a little while as the garage had a vehicle on the lift already but not long at all - upshot was that the oil filter had been cross threaded at the recent service we'd had so a new one was put on and new oil too, and all was well, fortunately our local garage paid us for the cost of having this done without a problem, it's just one of those things that can happen (and certainly hasn't stopped us going there - we use them for our vehicles normally). We could have called out our recovery and they would probably have come out to us bearing in mind what it was but I would NOT have contacted them simply to ask them where the nearest garage was.

If you don't agree that's fine but that's my take on it. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not hijacking the thread but I was told nobodies insurance is valid when going around that big notorious traffic roundabout in paris Is that true, not that anyone here would be daft enough to do that in a MH in Paris! ;)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
BUT it is a recovery/breakdown service, NOT a general 'help us' service.

Also I'm NOT commenting you purely on your actions but from my own experience ... we had a problem, more 'serious' than yours, when we had a leak on the oil filter of our PVC in Germany which we noticed when we parked the van, we decided to try to sort it ourselves as we didn't feel it was reasonable to call out recovery as it hadn't made the vehicle undrivable/dangerous etc. I order to find a garage we went to a local shop (can't remember exactly what it was as it was a couple of years ago) and asked them if they knew of anywhere, they looked in their phone book and gave us the address of a local garage and as it was only a few miles away we drove there. We had to wait a little while as the garage had a vehicle on the lift already but not long at all - upshot was that the oil filter had been cross threaded at the recent service we'd had so a new one was put on and new oil too, and all was well, fortunately our local garage paid us for the cost of having this done without a problem, it's just one of those things that can happen (and certainly hasn't stopped us going there - we use them for our vehicles normally). We could have called out our recovery and they would probably have come out to us bearing in mind what it was but I would NOT have contacted them simply to ask them where the nearest garage was.

If you don't agree that's fine but that's my take on it. :)
Well my take is different - you are obviously correct aren't you? I didn't call out the recovery service, I called the only number I had to get advice. Give me your phone number, I'll call you next time to ask what the correct procedure is!!! That is my last word on the subject!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not hijacking the thread but I was told nobodies insurance is valid when going around that big notorious traffic roundabout in paris Is that true, not that anyone here would be daft enough to do that in a MH in Paris! ;)
Wellllllll .... actually ... we've done it but only once ... never to be repeated!!!! :D2

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The heading is Breakdown/Accident. They are different. My daughter's bike was stolen and found later in a field, we asked the breakdown people to recover it and they said "no" it's an insurance claim nothing to do with us.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Hello,
We took breakdown insurance with ADAC as they would do more than 3months. (Infact 12).
Just went to go out in our van & flat front tyre.
Phoned ADAC said they will be here within the hour.
Malc

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Currently dealing with the AA overseas breakdown claims department regarding our claim for recovery on a French motorway last month. Our claim for €655 which we had to pay to the appointed recovery agent was submitted to the AA by email as instructed on the 10th of last month, we got an immediate automatic response advising it was being dealt with. I have just been talking to the AA, apparently the claim is in the system and there is an expected delay of 'One Month' before it is 'considered' :Eeek:
Cheers
Ed

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Another consideration for those brand new Fiat based van owners who rely totally on their 2/3 year Fiat breakdown service.

Fiat will only attend a breakdown that is Fiat related. A blow out, puncture, accident resulting in the vehicle being broken down, etc. is not covered by the Fiat breakdown service and Fiat will not attend. Anyone with a new Fiat vehicle should carry a separate independent breakdown cover for peace of mind.

This may also apply to other marques of new vehicles, best to check!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another consideration for those brand new Fiat based van owners who rely totally on their 2/3 year Fiat breakdown service.

Fiat will only attend a breakdown that is Fiat related. A blow out, puncture, accident resulting in the vehicle being broken down, etc. is not covered by the Fiat breakdown service and Fiat will not attend. Anyone with a new Fiat vehicle should carry a separate independent breakdown cover for peace of mind.

Interesting ludo! I didn't know that. Our Fiat warranty/breakdown cover lasts until the end of June next year and I'd always believed they would assist with all vehicle-related problems, such as flat tyre etc. As it happens, we do also have continental breakdown cover with our Comfort insurance, so we should be covered in any case. But I'd often wondered whether it was really necessary to have separate cover, in addition to Fiat's, when the vehicle is new?

Presume you found the information buried in the terms and conditions somewhere?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

A well-promulgated myth I'm afraid, one I used to use quite often when "negotiating" said traffic island. The look of horror on passengers faces as I approached the Arc and put my foot down :LOL:.
(Traffic entering the system has priority). 'Twas of course in a large bright red coach, but I've done it in a car and in the moho too! Great fun!

But as regards breakdowns, happened to me twice on French autoroutes and you have to use the police recommended agent, no choice. The second time was a full recovery (and THAT story is worth a book!) so I left it all to the boss....

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Interesting ludo! I didn't know that. Our Fiat warranty/breakdown cover lasts until the end of June next year and I'd always believed they would assist with all vehicle-related problems, such as flat tyre etc. As it happens, we do also have continental breakdown cover with our Comfort insurance, so we should be covered in any case. But I'd often wondered whether it was really necessary to have separate cover, in addition to Fiat's, when the vehicle is new?

Presume you found the information buried in the terms and conditions somewhere?

During a conversation with Fiat Motorhome Assist when I took out the extended warranty on our last new van in 2015. I have since taken uout the extended warranty on or latest new van, September 2017.

I don't know if this ruling is similar with other makes of base vehicles or, indeed, cars but worth a check. We are covered with Britannia too since I discovered the risk.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

My make called Fiat Camper assist when he had a flat tyre in Belgium, no problem.
How about some links to your source.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My make called Fiat Camper assist when he had a flat tyre in Belgium, no problem.
I'm sure Ludo was right that in the past the wording was such that a puncture and non-Fiat related problems were not covered however I've just read their current breakdown cover for motorhomes/campers and it says:

In the case of unforeseen events* (breakdown, fault, accident, puncture of one or more tyres, flat battery, etc.), the call centre puts you in touch with Fiat Camper Assistance, the roadside assistance team reserved for motorhome customers, active in 51 countries 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Also, if necessary, Europ Assistance works as an interpreter and remains in direct contact with the customer until the operation is completed and the motorhome starts off again (*) Consult your Owner's Warranty of the camper which shows method of supply, conditions, limitations and exclusions of the Services.

http://www.mopar.eu/camper/en/assistance/roadside-assistance

So it may be that some have it and some don't now ... reading your own warranty conditions will tell you which you have.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

I think I made it quite clear in my previous post! I was told this by customer services, "During a conversation with Fiat Motorhome Assist when I took out the extended warranty on our last new van in 2015."

No links, I didn't record the call!

Reading Minxygirl's post, it may have changed since but still worth checking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back