Brkdwn/Accdnt in Europe, you think you're covered??? (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just in case some folk out there aren't aware...
Having spoken to our insurance co re acc/breakdown cover in Europe I was informed that;

should we require the services of the AA (the company named in the policy as the acc/breakdown responders) and we were on a toll rd or motorway, the AA wouldn't respond, because they aren't allowed to (reason for that unclear), in such an instance a local recovery company would be instructed to attend... We were told that we would have to pay the bill the company presented and then present such bill to the AA,,, "for their consideration".
My immediate response to this was to ask for clarity,,, the AA would reimburse us,,, wouldn't they?

All this transpired on Monday, the verbal response to my request for clarity was a repeat "the AA would consider your bill". Despite my repeated pleas for a more definitive answer, none was forthcoming.
Later, I sent an e-mail, asking for clarity from higher management.
I was given a AA phone nmbr & told to ring them as my ins co were, "unable to answer my question" !!!
I rang the AA,,, I was politely told they couldn't reply, but if I wrote to AA Europe "maybe" they could help?

I sent another e-mail to our ins co,,, I asked them to give me "the figures" ; what percentage of claims did the AA reimburse? I pointed out that they must have that information as their customers would surely protest if their bills weren't reimbursed.
They did respond, quite promptly,,, they said they didn't have that information and there was no further help they could give me...
They told to write to AA Europe.

So, dear Funsters, there you have it,,, as we have it.
We look forward to your comments.

Best regards, James & Angie,,, from dunear in Narfuk.

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I think you'll find that only applies to France. On the French motorway network only a Police nominated recovery company can assist you..no matter who you're with.
Hi sdc77.
Our ins co said it applied to France & Spain?
We wouldn't know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The more you read on here,the better ADAC seems to be,The Renaults own 3 year European recovery service ends this year,so i think they get the job. I had heard about various conditions about breaking down on "Motorways/Peage whatevers",so it is not new.
Tea Bag

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had to call our breakdown insurers (RAC) on a toll road. They advised us that we had to use the approved chaps, calling via the nearest motorway phone, as the French toll roads are private property. The chap arrived, did the business, spoke to the RAC who covered his bill and went on our way. Cost us nothing.
RAC recovery via Comfort insurance.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's always applied, French rules not the breakdown people, we are with greenflag and in their manual it says they pay the bill , not been unfortunate to have to use it so can't say anymore.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We had to call our breakdown insurers (RAC) on a toll road. They advised us that we had to use the approved chaps, calling via the nearest motorway phone, as the French toll roads are private property. The chap arrived, did the business, spoke to the RAC who covered his bill and went on our way. Cost us nothing.
Same as us, stress free and hassle free considering the rules that are imposed on the RAC and AA etc

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I wasn't aware of that, but useful info although I never use the Autoroutes, preferring to meander the byways, following my nose. The journey is the destination (when retired :)).
Hi Spriddler.
Hate to tell you this but we also learnt something about acc/brkdn on a minor road...
If the attending Officer considers your vehicle is causing a hazard/obstruction, he/she may demand its removal pronto pronto,,, if your recovery agent cant get to you pronto pronto, the Officer can call for local pronto pronto recovery,,, you will get the bill,,, we were told.
So, if that happens to us, we'll have to present that bill to the AA,,,
"for their consideration"?!!!

Hopefully, someone out there has AA cover,,, has had a relative incident, and the good ol AA has splashed the cash,,, hopefully,?!!!

We wait to hear with bated breath,,,
have another G&T I reckon, you know, just while we wait, well, we're retired too, so it's allowed,,, init,?! lol. (y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Does anyone out there want to know who we're insured with,?

Can we spill the Heinz?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if i recall correctly the french operatives that recover you can charge accordingly, but AA, RAC etc only reimburse the first 250Euros

wasnt it @JockandRita that got a £1400 bill and a damaged van from the towing company? or am i going mad

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
if i recall correctly the french operatives that recover you can charge accordingly, but AA, RAC etc only reimburse the first 250Euros

wasnt it @JockandRita that got a £1400 bill and a damaged van from the towing company? or am i going mad
Hi TheBig1.
Hopefully JockandRita will respond to that,,,
have you seen their avatar? its brill,!

I don't think 250Es would cover the recovery cost of a 8 by 2.4 mt vehicle,?!
Would it??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Even on UK roads if your vehicle is causing an obstruction the police attending will call their nominated recovery company to remove the hazard.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had safeguard/AA on our previous van and had a blow out on a french motorway. We had to use the official breakdown people , pay them and then claimed the money back from the AA. It's best if you can use one of the emergency phones as then it's easy to locate you but it was dark, raining and we couldn't see how far in either direction we'd have to walk so had to call the emergency number and try to explain in my poor french what had happened and where we were. Pneu crevee, I will never forget! It is a pity that the AA or RAC cannot do the liasing for you, it would benefit everyone.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have needed recovery on Italian (once) and Spanish (twice) Motorways. The Police were involved every times and asked us to call our breakdown company RAC Commercial through Comfort. They arranged for a local vehicle to attend. Our vehicle is 4600kg and 7m long, with a very large rear overhang requiring a special recovery vehicle.
In another incident we were recovered in Spain and put up for 4 days in a Spa Hotel while the vehicle was being repaired in a nearby garage.
In every case I could not fault the service. They communicated on our behalf in every instance.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Interesting info, I've certainly become aware of something that hadn't even crossed my mind.

Sort of in defence if the AA, it would be hard for them to to say categorically that they will reimburse you for the costs, as that opens them up to fraud in a massive way.

For example, you break down, and get recovered by the non AA agent. You ask how much it is, and they say 250 Euro. Ok say you, here's the cash but give me a receipt for 500 Euro. Or even a blank headed note paper.

You then send the receipt for 500 to the AA and expect to be paid 500 Euro, giving you a 250 profit.

By saying send it in for "consideration" they protect themselves against this sort of fraud.

They will know pretty well what the recovery cost should be and you can reasonably expect to be reimbursed. But if the bill you present is massively different to what their experience says is a reasonable charge, you may face some questions.

So I figure it's not unreasonable of them to use such phrasing, but would have hoped they could have given more clarity when OP enquirer.

Please note my comments are my opinion of what would be likely to happen and why they probably phrase things like they do so no asking for "proof"..

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have needed recovery on Italian (once) and Spanish (twice) Motorways. The Police were involved every times and asked us to call our breakdown company RAC Commercial through Comfort. They arranged for a local vehicle to attend. Our vehicle is 4600kg and 7m long, with a very large rear overhang requiring a special recovery vehicle.
In another incident we were recovered in Spain and put up for 4 days in a Spa Hotel while the vehicle was being repaired in a nearby garage.
In every case I could not fault the service. They communicated on our behalf in every instance.
It is just the French motorways where you have to do it yourself. Our other breakdown in France was on an ordinary road and on that occasion we phoned the AA/Safeguard and they did everything.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Even on UK roads if your vehicle is causing an obstruction the police attending will call their nominated recovery company to remove the hazard.

Had that happen with a truck in Leicester,,£120 to tow it 200 yds off the main road,,,BUSBY,,,:cry::cry::cry:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I put this issue to the Caravan Club's Red Pennant service earlier today and they confirmed what others have said here, that this applies to all French motorways, whether toll or not. It's French law, not awkward insurance/breakdown companies. They also confirmed that the costs can be reclaimed (if not fraudulent!!) from Red Pennant later. They added that once the police have been contacted, it's a good idea to let Red Pennant know what's happening to smooth the way to their taking over the case, once your vehicle has been recovered off the motorway. The CC take a lot of flack and Red Pennant isn't cheap, but they responded to two emails all the same day. "Respect!" (y)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
when we had problems in france adac did all the phoning for us to sort it out so i would assume they would do the same for a breakdown

Not quite. If you're on a French motorway, you have no choice but to contact French police via the emergency phones and to use their specified operator, not ADAC. Once you're off the motorway, ADAC can take over.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I put this issue to the Caravan Club's Red Pennant service earlier today and they confirmed what others have said here, that this applies to all French motorways, whether toll or not. It's French law, not awkward insurance/breakdown companies. They also confirmed that the costs can be reclaimed (if not fraudulent!!) from Red Pennant later. They added that once the police have been contacted, it's a good idea to let Red Pennant know what's happening to smooth the way to their taking over the case, once your vehicle has been recovered off the motorway. The CC take a lot of flack and Red Pennant isn't cheap, but they responded to two emails all the same day. "Respect!" (y)
I can't afford Red Pennant,,,:D:D:D

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Slightly off topic,
I use the R.A.C., always found them very helpful , they even gave me the contact no in Lyon & contact name to speak to , in case I had problems contacting rac UK, 0033472435244 .
I used it once & was kept informed about every half hour of the progress , as I explained that I didn't / don't speak french so they liaised everything for me .They even phoned me the next day to check that the work carried out was satisfactory . Dam good service !!!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Not quite. If you're on a French motorway, you have no choice but to contact French police via the emergency phones and to use their specified operator, not ADAC. Once you're off the motorway, ADAC can take over.
True but whether their specified operator insists on payment from you or your breakdown insurer is surely what this is about. As I said it happened to me, I was shown an invoice for €200 but after showing my ADAC membership card all I had to do was sign the invoice. I shook his hand and was on my way.

Dick

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My Safeguard policy with AA breakdown was brilliant in France when the flywheel went and the van had to be trollied back to UK because of the warranty. the AA hub in Lyon gave us a hire car for 3 weeks and reimbursed us for £1k of hotel bills. Couldn't fault them. On the other hand when the wiper motor went in Spain the Spanish AA couldn't give a toss and we had to sort it ourselves!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My Safeguard policy with AA breakdown was brilliant in France when the flywheel went and the van had to be trollied back to UK because of the warranty. the AA hub in Lyon gave us a hire car for 3 weeks and reimbursed us for £1k of hotel bills. Couldn't fault them. On the other hand when the wiper motor went in Spain the Spanish AA couldn't give a toss and we had to sort it ourselves!
Was that with uk AA,,their fault in the end,,thats who you had your contract with,,BUSBY,,

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Intetesting... I would never have considered calling the aa for a wiper motor tbh ... is that a breakdown? (I know .. in a storm .. etc)
Adac have a policy where they can assist you with parts and even lend you the money to buy them if req .. but don't think the aa do?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Intetesting... I would never have considered calling the aa for a wiper motor tbh ... is that a breakdown? (I know .. in a storm .. etc)
Adac have a policy where they can assist you with parts and even lend you the money to buy them if req .. but don't think the aa do?
In torrential rain, in a crowded city where we had just arrived, we thought it was - we needed help! None forthcoming from the AA, a kind car park attendant called a mechanic who couldn't help but who told us where the Citroen dealer was. The AA could have done that but they didn't want to know!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back