OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am happy to overtake and leave the whining behind me, I was thinking that today when in “rush” hour traffic I filtered/overtook a couple hundred vehicles on my way home.

I have no idea why someone driving a MoHo, who by definition is on holiday, would be bothered about it either. Think nice relaxing thoughts, don’t get yourself excited and wound up, it’s bad for you.

I will keep overtaking, you can like it or lump it, but rest assured I’m not listening.

My original post and my added comment about Wednesdays trip to Bilabo, was not about motorcyclists in traffic jams or on a commute.

It was about people being difficult, awkward and queue jumping. Then when questioned, hurling a load of foul mouth abuse and threats.

On both occasions, the first, where we had the altercation and the second, Wednesday when we witnessed a similar "incident'. We were in two different vehicles, neither of which were motorhomes.

TM

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hate the term Biker I am a motorcycle owner that's all

I'm a biker. A biker is a person you can pull up next to to enjoy a good panorama and immediately get chatting to as an old friend no matter what the language barrier.

But I admit there are total tossers on two wheels too, especially when gang mentality creeps in.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Thoughts and meanderings

I find bikers tend to appear more courteous .. I say appear because bikers soon learn that in the eyes of many they simply do not exist, so they tend to give other road users a wide berth.. Of course, the reality is they are no more or less courteous than others, it is a simple matter of self preservation

The perceived problem of ill manners is exasperated by an almost complete lack of understanding just what a modern bike can do.
It can out brake and out accelerate virtually everything else on the road..
What can easily be viewed as a dangerous or poor manoeuvre is simply something that is well within the ability and comfort zone of most riders

I REALLY do not condone wheelies or stopies on the road no matter what the riders skill set, but filtering...no problem.. An experienced rider will be watching for head or body movement, motion of any kind, vehicle front wheels, in fact all sorts of things.. It is a skill that cannot be taught, only learned.

Yes, riders can still come unstuck due to someone simply not seeing them, but then, so can car and lorry drivers

An awful lot of drivers believe the 'THINK BIKE' signs are aimed solely at them..
They are not...... They are aimed at riders too.... They make riders aware how vulnerable they are at all times

Next time you see a bedraggled, or sweating cods, biker in a queue while you are sitting in a nice dry, temperature controlled environment, just give them a little leeway..
Believe me, they will be thanking you with all their heart !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Nice essay Jaws, but did you 'read the question'?

The thread is about jumping the queue in a lane at a port.

I presume motobikes are allocated their own lane, so why are they in a lane with cars or MHs?

'Get in line!'

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice essay Jaws, but did you 'read the question'?

The thread is about jumping the queue in a lane at a port.

I presume motobikes are allocated their own lane, so why are they in a lane with cars or MHs?

'Get in line!'
Yes I did, and I managed to cobble that lot together without being rude or condescending to anyone..

Did YOU read the thread before trying to belittle some one , or just the bits you wanted to read?

Since when have bikes been allocated their own lane ?
Presume.. ... well check before you get snotty, as presumption is neither clever OR in this case correct ..

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Isn't it part of the fun in a motorhome in a queue? You sit with a cuppa, toilet at hand while others sit a fume, always brings a smile to my face. :) Having sat on a bike in the rain, when I see a biker looking sad and bedraggled do i feel sorry.....................nah.:D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I worked on a Inter Island RO-RO Ferry We always put the bikes on last, never separated the Gangs, Hiway 61, the Antarctic Angels, Mongrel Mob, they all traveled together trouble free on the ship.

Perhaps it was more relaxed in NZ, or, they knew if there were trouble, they would be banned for life ! not just the miscreants, the whole gang!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes I did, and I managed to cobble that lot together without being rude or condescending to anyone..

Did YOU read the thread before trying to belittle some one , or just the bits you wanted to read?

Since when have bikes been allocated their own lane ?
Presume.. ... well check before you get snotty, as presumption is neither clever OR in this case correct ..

I read the OP, who was complaining about queue jumping, even if they had been allocated the same lane as other vehicles.

In any case I consider it presumptive that they, or any other vehicle driver, think they have priority, and rude.

[I note you confirm I was correct about M/cs having their own lane]

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Does a biker going ahead cause any actual disadvantage ? I dont see it :)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
On a sunny day and a group of three or more.. should have sat in the queue
Loan biker different story maybe
Raining.. I always give bikers priority .. Nothing worse than sitting still with water running down you neck

Not much fun on a hot day on an air cooled Harley either, legs down either side of a red hot motor, motor itself not doing any good running hot with no airflow, not to mention stuck behind numerous diesel cars and even Motorhomes, some of which with Euro4 and less engines belching their noxious fumes out for the bikers to breath in behind!! Jeeez some people need to think a little more and chill out a bit more. Now I have a motorhome sitting nice and comfy in the queue, I will give way to every bike waiting to get on the ship!!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have no control (or even care) who or when anyone boards or disembarks a ferry but I have the luxury of being in my 'mobile home' - food, drink, toilet, DVDs, feet up......

On the road I let bikers get on their way and keep to the left in queueing traffic to allow bikers to pass - why not?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My memory of Portsmouth for a little brevity

Stuck in traffic on M25 rang ahead to say I might be close to the check in time limit on my way to Le Mans with caravan (and car) of course :whistle:

They said thanks for letting us know take it steady and let us know if things change

Including a near suicidal speed section down the M3 I arrived and was told I had just made it (y)(y)

Proceed across the now empty check in / waiting area and a man in hi Viz jumps out to stop me, thinking I was too late and he was going to be bearer of bad news I was not best pleased having been told otherwise a few seconds earlier

Stopped for him, he said, 'slow down, we have held the crossing for 20 minutes for you already we are not going without you now' :)

As already said we all sail at the same time regardless of who gets on first, or last :)(y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Whenever I've used the ferry (maybe 30 or 40 crossings) the port staff have always directed motorbikes to the front of the queue and we have boarded (and disembarked) first.
Barging at the check-in is as pointless as the folk who insist upon jumping out of their seats and opening the o/head lockers whilst the plane is still taxiing.
At Bilbao there are two dedicated lanes for m/cycles. In June the ferry was fully booked for bikes with 250 lined up ready for loading.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Whenever I've used the ferry (maybe 30 or 40 crossings) the port staff have always directed motorbikes to the front of the queue and we have boarded (and disembarked) first.
Barging at the check-in is as pointless as the folk who insist upon jumping out of their seats and opening the o/head lockers whilst the plane is still taxiing.
At Bilbao there are two dedicated lanes for m/cycles. In June the ferry was fully booked for bikes with 250 lined up ready for loading.
To be honest, it’s coming off the ship and getting thru passport control where the pushing in comes to the for, as in a previous post having the air cooled Harley at a standstill doesn’t do it or me any favours so I’m afraid I am guilty of trying to clear passport control as quick as I can. I’ve sat there in Hull in the torrents of 2007 waiting to get out being soaked to the skin before I got my passport out! Now I’m in the comfort of my Moho all you bikers feel free to go ahead in front.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
WOW. I wonder what brought that on ? No racing on offer.
Imagine this..... Hull-Rotterdam Ferry, getting ready to disembark and there was 250 scrots starting up mostly two strokes and all with the f****n choke on, on their way to the Rotterdam scooter rally!! I like Castrol R as much as the next man BUT NOT with the choke on!!:swear:(y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hate the term Biker I am a motorcycle owner that's all
Yup :)

give a man a fish.jpg

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
WOW. I wonder what brought that on ? No racing on offer.
I rode down but had problems booking the ferry for the return 2 months in advance a it was so fully booked.
Here we are (at Santander), a full load of 250 bikes in 30+ degrees...
CIMG5023.JPG

CIMG5024.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Isn't it part of the fun in a motorhome in a queue? You sit with a cuppa, toilet at hand while others sit a fume, always brings a smile to my face. :) Having sat on a bike in the rain, when I see a biker looking sad and bedraggled do i feel sorry.....................nah.:D
Waiting in my m/h to board I have several times had bikers inside and out of the rain for a brew.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back