Bike rack put to good use (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Overtook a motorhome just North of Scotch Corner this morning, nothing unusual in that, however, what caught my attention was a pushchair strapped to the bike rack and it just got me thinking what have others used their bike rack for other than bikes. I once thought about putting a spare wheel on there before I realised I didn't actually want a spare wheel, what do others use it for.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Only joking, she goes on the roof rack

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
s-l1600.jpg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Someone is said to have been woken up in Calais by an immigrant climbing under the bicycle covers on the back. I'm surprised that the brackets would take such weight...

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Did once use a towbar-mounted cycle carrier to transport a garden bench (like the ones you get in parks). Had to travel through a fairly boisterous market town at pub chucking-out time and did worry that when we stopped at traffic lights some well-oiled local might decide it would be a good place for a rest. We got through unscathed, though.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Wheelchair, one of our sons had a hip problem when he was 8 and spent 6 months in a wheelchair. Our eurocamp holiday was already booked so off we went. It was bright yellow so did get some funny looks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A large plastic heavy duty wheel barrow which we bought in France at the beginning of a holiday once ... it had a lovely 2 week tour round on the back of the MH ... not sure what those on the aires etc made of it, probably thought we had a VERY big toilet cassette to transport! :D2

When we had our static caravan we needed the WB there so transported it on the bike rack on the back of the camper ... got some funny looks! :D

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I bought a swivelling lab chair from ebay and picked it up at the start of our holiday to Wales. It was too big to go through the hab door, so we strapped it to the cycle rack. We were filling up in Tenby and when Val went to pay, the cashier asked "is that the naughty seat ?" :D

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Pushchair when grandsons were small and last year the huge dog crate that my sons dog came in from Texas, dog travelled in the van, after I picked her up from Heathrow airport.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not on the rack but behind it as mine, when not in use & folded up, stands off the van by some 18" ( 46cm)
I have a piece of ply screwed across & use it to carry additional diesel in 20L jerry cans; also 3 metal framed pasting tables. Anything that will go in there on occasions.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thought about putting the inflatable canoe on there but will be pretty to easy to half inch it.
Washing always go on there when we are static and it makes an excellent place to put the boxed wine as you can sit directly underneath it outside, reach up and depress the button and you just lean back in your chair and open your mouth for direct access leaving the glass out of the equation.
For advanced drinkers it could house the intravenous drip

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The owners of a van I saw in the summer used their bike rack for camping chairs and table.

OP
OP

Deleted User
My bikes,,,BUSBY.
I have the same problem, always have a bike or two on the back, however, now thinking it could be good place to carry camping chairs and maybe the awning

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
There was a thread on here not so long ago featuring hammock chairs that fitted on the towbar. This gets my thinking that with a tow. Sr mounted bike carrier one could probably design a pair of hangers. That might be more comfortable for @Rockcrawler 's mother in law.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
P1080204.JPG

I too used a bike rack to carry a spare wheel. (The motorhome came with a fix and go repair bodge and no spare wheel) (The spare wheel is securely fixed to the carrier frame and protected from the elements and also has a warning board attached).

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
View attachment 193959

I too used a bike rack to carry a spare wheel. (The motorhome came with a fix and go repair bodge and no spare wheel) (The spare wheel is securely fixed to the carrier frame and protected from the elements and also has a warning board attached).
That's got me thinking. As a spare wheel takes quite a bit of Payload and axle loading away when carried inside or fitted to the back, would it be legal to tow it behind like a single wheel trailer locked on to the towbar like a bike rack?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That's got me thinking. As a spare wheel takes quite a bit of Payload and axle loading away when carried inside or fitted to the back, would it be legal to tow it behind like a single wheel trailer locked on to the towbar like a bike rack?
I took this into account before fitting. The spare wheel (to the best of my memory came in at 23 KG and the bike carrier around 4 KG. I then calculated the impact on the leverage it was applying to the back and all came within the limits of my motorhome storage. It's been on for 6 years and covered 45,000 miles without any issues. As an aside, the most common use i see is for plastic tubs which contain the daily washing between vehicle journeys. Whoops! almost forgot to answer your query. No it would not be illegal to tow behind in a trailer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back