Bianchi Bike Classic .. Moped built 1960 (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The seller has had two id's in five years and two negative feedbacks in the last year.

I doubt it would be bobbing about at the classic TT next week. :D

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not unlike my past collection of old Solex and Spartamet. Great fun but a nightmare to get road legal in the UK.
100_0135_1.JPG
_Digimax S600 _ Kenox S600 _ Digimax Cyber 630__37.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

I had many Solex collected over the years I was working in Europe but never registered one in the UK. They did sell like hot cakes when I started getting rid of them after retirement. I have never built one of the kits, but I do have a couple of old bikes sitting in a shed at home and am seriously thinking of building one. As European old bill are used to seeing these things pottering around they tend to turn a blind eye to them. The Spartamets I had all had panniers on them, so looked like a normal push bike. I never had a problem abroad with these mopeds.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
They are available cheaper, BUT, I believe these are the best available.
It's a shame that they're a pain to register, otherwise they'd be a better bet than an electric cycle, (no charging needed).

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I always fancies a velosolex but for motorhome use I suspect the electric bike would be more reliable and maybe lighter with the battery off.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've seen the Dutch riding them in Benidorm. Maybe the Dutch classify them as a Pushbike, because If you're going to have the hassle of tax, insurance and MOT, you might as well buy a 125 bike in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've seen the Dutch riding them in Benidorm. Maybe the Dutch classify them as a Pushbike, because If you're going to have the hassle of tax, insurance and MOT, you might as well buy a 125 bike in my opinion.

this makes it attractive for those who have no motorbike licence >>

You passed your driving test before 1 February 2001
You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test.

Moped VED is only £17 , insurance would be cheap ...

VED would be £zero on a moped this age..

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I think that developments in eBikes over the last couple of years (and future developments in battery technology) have turned the world of Motorhome "Scooters" on its head.
It's now more than possible to get an eBike that is perfectly adequate to cycle on as a regular bicycle (battery removed) and yet with enough range to act as a Supermarket vehicle, with big tyres, suspension..etc.

A Velosolex is something I've always wanted but more as a toy for a French house when I eventually buy one. They really aren't something you'd want to pedal without motor-assistance.

I used to have a Yamaha FS1E moped. Yes it had pedals. No it wasn't practical to pedal it.

The big drawback is that, for the price of a quality lightweight, long-range, eBike, you can get two very nice used 125cc Scooters.

Motorhoming is all about compromise isn't it? If you get everything you want onboard you find yourself in a 10 metre RV with its own different set of compromises.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think that developments in eBikes over the last couple of years (and future developments in battery technology) have turned the world of Motorhome "Scooters" on its head.
It's now more than possible to get an eBike that is perfectly adequate to cycle on as a regular bicycle (battery removed) and yet with enough range to act as a Supermarket vehicle, with big tyres, suspension..etc.

A Velosolex is something I've always wanted but more as a toy for a French house when I eventually buy one. They really aren't something you'd want to pedal without motor-assistance.

I used to have a Yamaha FS1E moped. Yes it had pedals. No it wasn't practical to pedal it.

The big drawback is that, for the price of a quality lightweight, long-range, eBike, you can get two very nice used 125cc Scooters.

Motorhoming is all about compromise isn't it? If you get everything you want onboard you find yourself in a 10 metre RV with its own different set of compromises.

I have to agree regarding the Solex. You would not want to pedal one far if on the rare occasion it broke down. The Dutch Spartamet on the other hand is no different riding experience than an ordinary push bike when not using the tiny 30cc motor.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Now that is cheap Jim. Those things are over £2000 new, and a much better option than an ebike. If I had not just sold a kidney to buy my Gazelle orange ebike I would have bought that Spatamet.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

You can see what I mean about the panniers. If you put big panniers on the Spartamet no one is any the wiser that it has an engine. The motor is so quiet you can hardly hear it and all you have to do is slowly turn the pedals as you are gliding along, just to give the impression you are actually pedalling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back