Better Signal Needed (some times) (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All
I’m looking to get a better signal to my MH when camping, at the moment I have a sim in my IPad which works reasonably well in most places but I think I will get a better signal if I get a MIFi device with an aerial on the roof of the MH which runs off 12v and put my sim in it.
What do you guys think and do you have any recommendations for a MiFi or router I can put my sim in. It must have at least one aerial socket.
Many Thanks Tony

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi All
I’m looking to get a better signal to my MH when camping, at the moment I have a sim in my IPad which works reasonably well in most places but I think I will get a better signal if I get a MIFi device with an aerial on the roof of the MH which runs off 12v and put my sim in it.
What do you guys think and do you have any recommendations for a MiFi or router I can put my sim in. It must have at least one aerial socket.
Many Thanks Tony
You have caught me on the hop, we have a unit that provides wired and wireless lan, it came with 240v only, but I snipped the wire and connected it to the 12v supply. It has an aerial socket on the back, the only thing I can't remember what make it is, and I am not near the van.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You have caught me on the hop, we have a unit that provides wired and wireless lan, it came with 240v only, but I snipped the wire and connected it to the 12v supply. It has an aerial socket on the back, the only thing I can't remember what make it is, and I am not near the van.
Hi Daniel r u going to the van soooooon?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need a MiFi with two aerial sockets so you can connect what is called a mimo aerial.
Putting it on the roof makes for a neat installation but there are cheaper alternatives. I use one of these:
www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Internet-Devices/NETGEAR-6000450-Antenna-Aircard-Hotspots/B00DN3J03O

Connect it to something like a Huawei 5577 mifi and you will get near enough as good a signal as you can. If you want to add a roof aerial (£150+ and fitting if required) later then you won't have wasted much on the aerial.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The aircard thing is just an aerial with two leads which connect to the MiFi.
The MiFi will work without it but in my experience you get a much better signal using it.
The sim fits in the MiFi of course and the only power source required if for the MiFi as well.
The Amazon advert is a bit confusing as in the boxes are links to other and different products.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We use this kit from Motorhome Wi-Fi.
https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-huawei-e5577-mifi-window-mount-antenna/
The antenna is stuck to our side window with suckers and has worked brilliantly all over France. We usually get better internet speed than at home and it is available on our iPads and laptop just like our home BB router.
I know some others will say you can get the kit cheaper elsewhere but Addie gives excellent service and they are just a phone call away if you need help.

Richard.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-huawei-e5577-mifi-window-mount-antenna/
The antenna is stuck to our side window with suckers and has worked brilliantly all over France. We usually get better internet speed than at home and it is available on our iPads and laptop just like our home BB router.
I know some others will say you can get the kit cheaper elsewhere but Addie gives excellent service and they are just a phone call away if you need help.

Richard.
I agree, for anyone who thinks they might find all this a bit intimidating then buy the stuff from MotorhomeWiFi because they give excellent after sales service. Buy all the bits separately and you are on your own. :)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Clarky yes I've seen that at MH shows, I'm at Malvern soon, if they are there I'll have a word with them. I must say the price is quite high though.
Best Wishes Tony

Jun 30, 2015
N Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Years
Look at the 4G Pack 2 from Motorhome WiFi. I bought this in March. Fitting the aerial was easy and very neat. Bit pricey (£274), but well worth it. Before and after sales was very good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back