Free Member
Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
We have a tribute with a fixed rear bed across the back and a small step up to it. The bed is boxed in on 3 sides and just one partially open side to climb in.

It has two single mattresses on it (no idea why when it is and can only ever be a double bed) and so we have a memory foam topper on top for comfort and because of the join down the centre.

Ok now the biggie...how on earth do you put bedding on the bed. It took two of us over 30 minutes to put bedding on the bed, fighting trying to get the under sheet all nice and tightly tucked round the mattress which is impossible with two mattresses independent of each other, then you have to make sure the condensation sheet under the mattress lies flat and the memory foam topper does too

I have only done one full bedding change and I am dreading the next!:cry::cry::cry:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've covered the mattress with a quilted mattress protector, then I sleep on one duvet (its cover acting as a sheet), with another over me. I figured shaking a duvet straight was easier than trying to tuck in a sheet while kneeling on the bed! It's worked well so far.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would think that it has 2 single mattresses because it would be near impossible to get a double into the bed area. Just a thought.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have a similar layout. I got an Ikea fitted sheet which is big enough to go over both matresses and tuck under but it is still a workout to fit! I just think of all the weight i must loose whilst doing it.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Similar layout - we tailored two standard single fitted sheets so that they fit the mattresses properly, then did the same with two mattress protectors. Simple to make the bed in two halves, then we use a double duvet on top. The mattresses fit so tightly together that there is never a danger of a gap opening between them. We don't need a mattress topper as the standard sprung mattresses are perfectly adequate.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
We have an A class with a drop down bed which is also a bit of a pain. I put the sheet on the back of the mattress first and get it tight then pull it towards me as I get off the bed. I guess you will have a further complication as the 2 corners nearest the front of the van in you layout will have fixtures in front of them, so be harder to get to? Perhaps a duvet cover over the topper instead of a sheet might do it?

Drew

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just off to Ikea this morning to get some new bedding for the MH. Going for a flat sheet for the over size double mattress, as it's thinner than a standard mattress it looks like a double sized flat sheet from Ikea will fit, this will likely mean that in 6hrs I'll be posting it was too small and I'm going back to Ikea tomorrow......

We also had a fitted bottom sheet fight the first time we went out at Easter, this was up in the alcove, so it was at least fun:roflmto:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
I've covered the mattress with a quilted mattress protector, then I sleep on one duvet (its cover acting as a sheet), with another over me. I figured shaking a duvet straight was easier than trying to tuck in a sheet while kneeling on the bed! It's worked well so far.

My Sis in law (they're seasoned MHomers...think they're on their 6th new one now, money being no object, lucky them!) told me this is what she has found works well for them so I followed her advice and we find it's very comfortable. Takes no time to make the bed so I would def recommend Hollyberry's method, although I don't put a protector on first as we our's isn't a fixed bed so that would be a pain for us to have to keep tucking in! The under duvet with cover acts as our mattress protector.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
why not use Duvalay's????

You could use a couple of Duvalay's by Raskelf.... we have one each and that has the topper, and the sheet/duvalay in it as well... you can turn them inside out to get left of right handed... we had two made to special size and extra change of covers.. they work... not cheap, but less hassle.

Bob

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ikea done, beds made and happy all round.

Went for the flat sheets and as guessed it works ok as the mattress is thinner and allows more of the material for the surface area. The rest is standard duvets and covers.

Have a guess what's for dinner tonight ?

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We have a similar layout with a fixed rear bed. I found it almost impossible to get standard fitted sheets (king size) to fit as none seemed to be long enough. However found terrytoweling fitted sheets that have extra stretch work well. Link Removed These are good and are on a buy one get one free offer at the moment.

Kath & Howie

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

We do the same thing, have done for years. Works well for us too.:Smile:

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Like Anna, we would find a protector difficult so we use two 4.5 tog duvets and tuck them down over the bottom to keep them in place. We then have a couple of light-weight fleeces if it's a bit cool.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can see we were quite sensible (for once) by getting a van with a permanent bed at more or less normal bed height.
I don't think the advantage of a garage outweighs the inconvenience of having a bed which is basically an overcab bed, but just at the other end, and is often higher, and with less headroom than a drop down bed.
We still have a pretty huge locker under the bed, even if not as high as a garage. Not suitable for bikes but then we don't take/ride them.

Looking around the shows it seems that nearly all the new vans have the layout of a high level bed over garage, so will not look to replace ours until there are some better (for us) layouts available.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

We do similar on our fixed bed. A quilted mattress protector of the right size covered with a cut and sewn to size duvet cover. This lays on top of the matress all the time. On top of that we lay the pillows and finally the duvet (size for a 4'6" double) just laid on top. In the morning the duvet is folded down to the end of the bed. Easy. 1 minute to make up, 1 minute to fold away - and warm and snug.:thumb: The mattress protector can be turned over once so it won't need washing for twice as long a period.:Smile:

John

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Two single Matresses? Problem:Sad:

Start feeling "Fruitee?" Slide over to have your Wicked way?

Now you are floundering around in the Locker below, your "ardour " deminished, thinking "wheres this bloody Barbie come from!":Sad:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Our double overcab bed has 2 double duvets for me to sandwich myself between. 1 is 4.5 tog, the other 10tog so I can switch top to bottom if the weather is warm LOL.

For our 2 wide bunk beds I stitched 2 single duvet covers together for each bunk. Then we can put 2 single duvets (again 1 x 4.5tog and 1 x 10tog) in each pair. They are easily swapped top to bottom for the weather and the seam prevents drafts and cold spots on your back.

Think I invented the 'duvalay' system before they did, and a lot cheaper.

We are cosy, even in Aberdeen at New Year.

June

oliandstu

Free Member
Aug 31, 2012
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
1 year
We have found the best method for us is having duvets with covers....one on the bottom and one on the top....just a quick shake and it is soooo easy.:Smile::Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On our previous van, a Chausson Flash 04 with fixed rear transverse bed with the same layout as you appear to have with only a central 'slot' to get/in out of. It was a pain to make the bed up especially since the mattress topper liked to try to sneak off in the process!

To solve the escaping topper and make bedmaking easier I made a bespoke 'tuck-in-able' cover for it out of an old double duvet cover:

The duvet cover was turned upside down with the opening at the top end instead of the bottom and the topper (which had been cut down to match the mattress size/shape) was slotted foot-end first into the centre of the cover and pushed right down to the bottom 'sealed' end with equal widths of the cover left at either side forming 'flaps', it was then pinned along the 2 edges tight up against the topper sides. The topper was then removed and the cover was stitched from top to bottom along the pinned 'lines' so that a central 'pocket' for the topper and the 2 side flaps was created. Note that if the bed length had been shorter I would have made a small flap at the bottom edge of the cover as well as the top so it could be tucked in there as well but our Flash bed was too long for this!

The topper was put in and placed on the bed, then the far side 'flap' was tucked in, followed by the top edge and finally the near side 'flap, as you would tuck in a normal sheet. Although it could be used as it was without anything else I don't like sleeping on cold cotton so I put a fitted terry material sheet on top (as they're stretchy they are much eaiser to fit than wrestling with a standard sheet) fitting the 2 far side corners first, then the 2 nearside ones next. If only using the topper cover and no sheet, I'd suggest you putting 'corners' in it like standard fitted sheets have, to keep it in place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back