LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We've been looking hard to work out which motorhome is going to work best for us and high on our shortlist are the Tribute 620 or Imala 620, however a lot of people talk about the damp and water ingress issues on AutoTrails.

Are they really that bad? Should we steer totally clear of them? If they are this bad, then are there other makes of motorhomes which have this much of a problem?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That said, our Imala 620 was a very poor handling van when loaded and I had numerous occasions when the rear end would dangerously sway.

The funny thing about this scenerio is that I'm supposed to be an advanced car driver and motorcyclist so it appears that the 620 beat me hands down.
You shouldn't have been driving it round corners like a motorbike ... they're not meant to tilt sideways! :D

Seriously though, it could simply have been that the suspension wasn't set up correctly - we had a Rimor Sailer 645TC with a big rear overhang with a garage and found that putting on air-assisted suspention made a heck of a difference to the sway etc and was a pleasure to drive afterwards.

If we ever went back to a coachbuilt MH it would be the second thing we'd fit, after the Gaslow of course!

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Seriously though, it could simply have been that the suspension wasn't set up correctly

It's interesting you say that Mel as we had so many problems with the conversion-part of the van that I think any suspension related issues would have just finished me off from the whole MoHo scene.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Damp was my main worry! We looked at several AT Comanches with varying degrees of damp. Luckily the one we now have is as dry as a bone (fingers crossed) Previous owners had all HAB checks done and spared no expense on upkeep. Layout was the deciding factor, that and no water ingress. 2011 model.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Had a 2009 AT 740 SE and needed welly boots inside after moderate rain. Frankly it was so bad it rotted in places and water occasionally dripped on our heads when we were on the move. AT + Awful Trouble :(.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I don't understand this :confused:. The only difference between the 620 and 615 is the dinette right? I had 30 months of hassle free driving even when fully loaded including a full water tank. That is why I don't undertsand, not because I want an argument (y)
Looking forward to my Brand new AT620 in 4 weeks (or should I be concerned now?)
There do seem to be loads of 615/620s around though

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking forward to my Brand new AT620 in 4 weeks (or should I be concerned now?)
Get yourself a damp meter and check it regularly, not saying that you'll find any issues but if you do they will be able to be dealt with before real problems develop.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
........... and water occasionally dripped on our heads when we were on the move. AT + Awful Trouble :(.

Roger,

Autotrail now supply an umbrella in the hab door . This can be used to help prevent any similiar dripping problems which you mentioned in your thread.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I had also read the "horror" stories before purchasing our Imala 615 new in 2015. However, the layout and size was perfect for us at the time so I wasn't overly concerned. The mains reason for that, was the warranty; granted it would be a pain the @rse but I could have it fixed if required. I had a few issues with the build quality but no damp and these were fixed easily with the AT warranty covering the cost. I am now waiting for my next AT, should be on the production line now and due to us on the 17th of March; am I concerned, no, can't wait to get out and about again. I hope you enjoy your AT620 (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The reason why I asked the question originally was because of the horror stories about damp that I'd seen on other threads, I've found that people tend to say when things are bad but necessarily when things are good so I was hoping to have people posting who had no problems... which I did!

Since then our brains are taking us down an entirely different route, but we still have our week booked in a 620 at the end of June and really looking forward to it! At the very least it will confirm what we think we don't want because unless we try first how can we really say what does and doesn't work! ;)

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
The reason why I asked the question originally was because of the horror stories about damp that I'd seen on other threads, I've found that people tend to say when things are bad but necessarily when things are good so I was hoping to have people posting who had no problems... which I did!

Since then our brains are taking us down an entirely different route, but we still have our week booked in a 620 at the end of June and really looking forward to it! At the very least it will confirm what we think we don't want because unless we try first how can we really say what does and doesn't work! ;)

Maybe ask @orson, he may be able to help (y) yes, good idea to try we did and didn't really like the layout we had so could rule out that style. However, we purchased almost identical layout but with two bench seats rather than the dinette; that worked for us over three years but we decided to change to a large rear lounge. Happy hunting and Happy (auto) Trails:D2(y):D2

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I had also read the "horror" stories before purchasing our Imala 615 new in 2015. However, the layout and size was perfect for us at the time so I wasn't overly concerned. The mains reason for that, was the warranty; granted it would be a pain the @rse but I could have it fixed if required. I had a few issues with the build quality but no damp and these were fixed easily with the AT warranty covering the cost. I am now waiting for my next AT, should be on the production line now and due to us on the 17th of March; am I concerned, no, can't wait to get out and about again. I hope you enjoy your AT620 (y)

Pray tell what have you ordered to replace??

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are now on our third Autotrail and even though we believe the build quality and fittings have suffered drastically all three have never had a damp issue.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 696G
Exp
Since 2019
We've been looking hard to work out which motorhome is going to work best for us and high on our shortlist are the Tribute 620 or Imala 620, however a lot of people talk about the damp and water ingress issues on AutoTrails.

Are they really that bad? Should we steer totally clear of them? If they are this bad, then are there other makes of motorhomes which have this much of a problem?
We have a 2005 AutoTrail and its bone dry. I have checked it with a damp meter and it still dry (2020) despite being stored outside. I would recommend. The fact the roof is a full fibreglass moulded roof makes it strong. The only place leaks could happen is around roof lights and other outlets. These can easily be re-sealed with SikaFlex if you do ever have a problem. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My Autotrail Excel 670 B new from 2011 is also damp free, always stored outside and has been subject to some horrendous weather both here and in Europe. The odd motorhome fails, regardless of who built it. Even new ones now and then fail. Bad news travels like wildfire in the motorhome fraternity and people sometimes over react by attaching a label to a certain brand which is unfounded. I bit like saying all Muslims are terrorists because of the behaviour of a few bad un's. My advice to you would be to make sure a damp test has been done by a NCC approved tester to provide you with the confidence and reassurance you are seeking before you part with your dosh.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I agree all brands have some issues

Not many have there own Unhappy Owners forum though, but as rightly pointed out, if you check it AND its a strong reliable dealer then fine

My issue with the 620 was lack of storage ....we were naive when we bought ours as a 1st MoHo

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
If you have any doubts about build quality before you buy one, you won't rest happy with it, you continuously think will it leak ?

Why put yourself through that ?

I'm on my second Hymer, neither have been perfect, as that motorhome has not been built yet, but taking out one worry (damp ingress) is one less worry. And believe me there is always something breaking, or going wrong, be it gas, fridge, water, toilet or electrics to name a few.

Buy what you like and suits you best, and live with it, you can always change it.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I agree all brands have some issues

Not many have there own Unhappy Owners forum though, but as rightly pointed out, if you check it AND its a strong reliable dealer then fine

My issue with the 620 was lack of storage ....we were naive when we bought ours as a 1st MoHo
Storage is key. When we purchased our Excel 670B it was rated at 3.3T so we upgraded to 3.5T which was just a paperwork exercise. The storage we have inside the motorhome is unbelievable and all out of sight too. I think we were lucky in our choice as storage was not the main consideration when we purchased it and it ticks all of our boxes, even after 9 years. It's a pity they no longer make them as they would be perfect for a couple who need adequate space with good storage.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
On my 2nd new autotrail this one less than yr old just had hab done it’s riddled whole side damp top and bottom gutted don’t no what to do

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On my 2nd new autotrail this one less than yr old just had hab done it’s riddled whole side damp top and bottom gutted don’t no what to do
Make sure it is repaired properly under warranty it may need to go back to the factory, then change for a van less prone to damp.

Upvote 0

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Make sure it is repaired properly under warranty it may need to go back to the factory, then change for a van less prone to damp.

Any suggestions for a make and model that is less prone to damp? (serious question from a newbie looking for a MH at the moment)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Any suggestions for a make and model that is less prone to damp? (serious question from a newbie looking for a MH at the moment)
German manufacturered preferably with no timber in the wall construction with both external & internal walls that are both aluminum.
Vans that meet that spec are Carthago, N&B, Concorde, Morelo and the latest model Hymers from about 2016

Upvote 0

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
German manufacturered preferably with no timber in the wall construction with both external & internal walls that are both aluminum.
Vans that meet that spec are Carthago, N&B, Concorde, Morelo and the latest model Hymers from about 2016

Thanks! Sadly that won't work for me as I suspect they will be out of my budget - I will have a search though and maybe sell a few things!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks! Sadly that won't work for me as I suspect they will be out of my budget - I will have a search though and maybe sell a few things!
There are some nice used Hymers for sale have a look on classifieds on the forum and FB has a Hymer Motorhomes group😊

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Brand new? If someone is selling you a brand new Tribute or Imala 620 then they're being very naughty as they stopped building them at the end of the 2018 model year.

They have the same percentage of issues as every other brand. Per volume sold they actually have less. You read about them more as they sell more motorhomes in the U.K. than any other manufacturer... and as an interesting fact, when the Tribute was built overseas it had a sterling reputation. The day they put an Auto Trail sticker on them before they began building them in Grimsby, the reputation diminished.

I have a bookshelf of files full of pages and pages of motorhome issues and recalls stretching the length and breadth of Europe.

I know people who won't buy an AT panel van but are happy to drive around in their Chausson even though it's built on the same production line in Grimsby.

Yes, they had rear garage door ingress issues but at the time so did every other coachbuilder who sourced their door seals from the same manufacturer and that list is long and distinguished. The fault was the seal not the build.

I love the comment on how much sealant is used... they all use the same volume as they're all glued together, the ones that aren't - I won't mention names - are the ones that have the real issues including their caravans... and the only factory I've not visited is Hymer's Etrusco plant in Tuscany.

They are the motorhome company everyone loves to hate. Not even the three mainstream magazines showcase their new models. Their favouritism is stark and one of the reasons why I left the industry. If you relied on the publications you'd never know that the Apache's have been phased out and that the Tracker range has expanded and now has a total re engineered body and habitation, all ultra low line and dropdown beds.

Mind you, you could also argue that they don't go looking for the exposure as they don't have to.

Take a look at AT dealers in the U.K. today, there are very few new models on the forecourts and on order as they've sold them all even the ones the factory hasn't built yet. They're expanding again as they struggled even with pre Covid demand. Now it's just daft.

Anyway enough of that malarky...

In terms of design the only difference with the Tribute & Imala 620 compared to the 615's and the Tracker EKS is that the offside bench seat is replaced with a dinette and two travel seats. They all have the same driving characteristics which is down to Fiat not the coachbuilder.

If the travel seats are a major reason for looking at them I'd more than consider up plating to 3650kg, you won't have realistic payload for four.

The standard factory released Tribute 620 has a 600kg payload that reduces to 568kg with an awning fitted , call it 565kg.

The standard factory released Imala 620 has a 505kg payload and again a dealer fit awning takes around 32kg from that so call it 470kg for ease.

As a Tribute the 620 at 2900kg is the lightest in the stable compared to the 615 (2910kg) & 625 (2920kg).

As an Imala the 620 is the heaviest of the three at 2995kg. The 615 & 625 being 2970kg.

As the one you're looking at is preloved, get your head in the rear wheel arches as heavy road debris can crack the plastic arches (you'll be surprised what some people will drive over).

They were phased out 3 years ago as the habitation set up was the least popular with prospective owners preferring the the two bench seats.

We're onto our third Auto Trail and have never had an issue with any of them.

Oh and contrary to belief there's no wood in them and there hasn't been for well over 5 years.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
It’s ok for you Lenny hb I bought this for my wife because I’m unable to drive any more as I’m now disabled I can no longer work so I used my last penny to get this motorhome for our last one not got penny less pot like you might have thought we could at least have a few good holidays in it now we are at shit street got a motorhome we can’t use cos it stinks of rot n mould n only done 600 miles since new it all locked down when I received it in March last year

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Brand new? If someone is selling you a brand new Tribute or Imala 620 then they're being very naughty as they stopped building them at the end of the 2018 model year.

The post is 40-months old :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back