LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We've been looking hard to work out which motorhome is going to work best for us and high on our shortlist are the Tribute 620 or Imala 620, however a lot of people talk about the damp and water ingress issues on AutoTrails.

Are they really that bad? Should we steer totally clear of them? If they are this bad, then are there other makes of motorhomes which have this much of a problem?

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Readings are from 55% to 20# factory awning even the toilet door has 20%

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
If the toilet door is giving damp readings, I would be doubtful about the accuracy of the readings. May be worth getting them checked.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Readings are from 55% to 20# factory awning even the toilet door has 20%
Ok thanks Btg.

20% isn't damp just an area to revisit in the future. I asked about your awning as the one on the van in your picture isn't factory fitted. It maybe a a factory cost option but it's a dealer fit. The only factory fitted awnings are those integrated into the roof line and this was never a factory spec on the Imala or Tribute even in limited addition packs.

If you have readings of 55%, which to be honest on any van of this age (unless it's a Bailey or an Elddis) is practically unheard of, you would physically see water or fluid running along channels and down walls, not to mention surface traces, a bit like pushing the wooden joints on a Morris Traveller. There would also be excessive staining.

Never take a dealers word for it especially when the readings are done out of view. Before you consider committing to anything insist on having every area specifically identified to yourself and have further readings taken in your presence on a cool dry day.
Readings are always higher during wet weather as the detector picks up moisture in the air and the aluminium extrusion along the wall base and top also trigger false high readings. Remember too, there is no wood in the structure and no plywood faced walls or floor so there will be no structural integrity issue there.

Personally I think the issue is the awning fixings and if the weather is fine open the windows and roof lights.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I agree all brands have some issues

Not many have there own Unhappy Owners forum though, but as rightly pointed out, if you check it AND its a strong reliable dealer then fine

My issue with the 620 was lack of storage ....we were naive when we bought ours as a 1st MoHo
Sorry Cheshirecat57 when I responded I thought your post was far more recent.

We now know why we still see many young preloved examples on forecourts... lack of storage. You loose a lot having the dinette.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The readings are correct as you can see all the water marks an the walls and ceiling and on the bottom of the walls have a 6 inch water mark aswell

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I’m sitting in the van now the widows and roof are open because of the horrible smell
Right... I still think the awning fixings are the point of entry with water irrigating from these multiple points into the cosmetic fibreboard wall fascia panels. When dealers bolt them on they often omit applying sealant to the brackets and the bolt entry holes where the washers sit. Some don't even bother placing the brackets against the factory fitted supports built into the wall structure or even recheck the brackets when the full weight of the awning is fitted.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Bought a 2010 AT in 2013 and rear roof join leaked causing over £3k in repair costs. Lucky the after market warranty picked up most of that cost.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On my 2nd new autotrail this one less than yr old just had hab done it’s riddled whole side damp top and bottom gutted don’t no what to do
From what you've said in your later posts I'd look to see if I could reject it however that's not an easy option, but in any case you first need to contact your dealer and find out what they propose as your contract is with them. If they want to repair it insist that it is done at Autotrial's factory and not by the dealer as this is gonna be a big job, it would need to be collected on a low-loader due to the distance (at their cost) and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to let you have a loan MH in the meantime. One thing needs to be established is where the water is getting in and whether it is due to the fitting of the awning/other accessories after it left the factory or somewhere else - a call to Autotrail should establish exactly what was on it when it left them and what was fitted afterwards.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I’ll have to wait n see what the dealer and autotrail want to do, because of my disability I cant argue and my wife is at a low we waiting for the phone to ring

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Does anyone no if there is some. Sort of council or body that can fight my case for me or would it be down to us

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Trading Standards and the Citizens Advice Bureau can advise you but you are expected to do the work yourself. You can employ a solicitor who will do the work for you but at a cost. I think there is a Facebook group set up for people with faulty AT's but you will be expected to do your own grind but glean advice from them. I think most trade bodies etc originate from the Manufacturers in the first [lace so hardly likely to want to bite the arm that feeds it!

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I’ll have to wait n see what the dealer and autotrail want to do, because of my disability I cant argue and my wife is at a low we waiting for the phone to ring

The first thing to do is to join the Autotrail Unhappy Owners Group as per my previous note and get a few questions posted which relates to your case.

Vicky Tucker has helped a whole load of unhappy Autotrail owners to reject their vans but there are dozens in the Group who can help too.

Don't wait for a call as you need to be prepared for 'dealer bluff'.

Good luck,

Andrew

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It’s ok for you Lenny hb I bought this for my wife because I’m unable to drive any more as I’m now disabled I can no longer work so I used my last penny to get this motorhome for our last one not got penny less pot like you might have thought we could at least have a few good holidays in it now we are at shit street got a motorhome we can’t use cos it stinks of rot n mould n only done 600 miles since new it all locked down when I received it in March last year
We are not that well off just been savy with our purchases, all our Motorhomes I have bought abroad and self imported as we can't afford UK prices.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Would you all except a total rebuild of one side on a new motorhome autotrail have said they want it back to factory to repair and will pick up and return by dealer but not till October feel so gutted on a new van don’t no what to do and think i Will have the same feelings for the van once it’s returned help

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would you all except a total rebuild of one side on a new motorhome autotrail have said they want it back to factory to repair and will pick up and return by dealer but not till October feel so gutted on a new van don’t no what to do and think i Will have the same feelings for the van once it’s returned help
I would say that's not acceptable as you will have no idea how much more damage can be caused in the interim period and also you can't really use it either.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If that's all they plan I agree with Minxy Girl. It's not acceptable... and I'm probably the biggest Auto Trail fan on here.

They can't really replace a side even at the factory as they don't build them that way. The three habitation sides including fixtures and fittings are constructed away from the chassis joined together then fitted as a bonded, rigid cube onto rubber chassis mounts.

If their plan is to simply rebond the side in situ and replace the furniture and fibre board I'd say no. If they plan to rebuild the 'cube' I'd consider it. Then ask what compensation they plan to offer due to enforced lack of use etc.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Jonno1103 when you said about awning I went and checked but the water line is above where water coming in also on my return to have a look at awning the window has water stains about 5” ever side in the bedroom to me it looks like it’s getting worse every time it rains the smell is horrendous I am also a great fan of autotrail it’s my third one

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The only course of action is to:

1. Attempt rejection.

2. Allow the dealer to fix the problem and if the problem comes back at a later date then reject the van based on the merits of the failing repair.

3. The AUOG is a wealth of knowledge so the sooner you access it then the better for you and your health.

4. The other costly option is to engage a solicitor and seek legal advice.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone but my wife has been in touch with the dealer and autotrail they both say they will repair in October went away in it last week but that’s the last time the smell is horrible there are stains to the middle of the roof front to back on left hand wall up n down stains n now all around the windows they said we should have seen it before 30 days to reject but was locked down the day after receiving it loads of people giving advise but to no avail gutted

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks everyone but my wife has been in touch with the dealer and autotrail they both say they will repair in October went away in it last week but that’s the last time the smell is horrible there are stains to the middle of the roof front to back on left hand wall up n down stains n now all around the windows they said we should have seen it before 30 days to reject but was locked down the day after receiving it loads of people giving advise but to no avail gutted
Really feel for you.
Not a post to assist with a solution but please be very careful if using the vehicle as a very strong smell could be an indication of mould growth which could be very harmful to health.

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Apparently motorhome all fixed n ready to pickup but won’t say what they have done only said it needed more work than they thought asked for a hab check before I pick it up but they are refusing going round in circles now

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
My AT Scout had damp when inspected every one of the 5 years of ownership and the last time it had to go back to Grimsby for months of major repairs. I insisted on a damp check being carried out by the dealer that supplied it to us before I agreed to collect it. We lost confidence in the vehicle and ended up PX'ing it

Upvote 0

Btg

Mar 4, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
To be honest our dealer is trying his best for us but if it turns up on low lowder n there’s damage or still problems can see us arguing in the car park lol

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back