Auto-Trail Switching from Underslung LPG to Bottles (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
I have a new Expedition 67 on order from Auto-Trail. However, dealership has just been notified that due to a shortage of underslung LPG tanks they are fitting a gas locker for two 4.5kg bottles (butane) instead. Dealer says that space in locker would not be enough for a Gaslow system (34cm). Any suggestions anyone as intend to travel to Europe and therefore Calor not going to work and will be expensive?

Mar 8, 2020
Axminster, DEVON
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2018
I have a new Expedition 67 on order from Auto-Trail. However, dealership has just been notified that due to a shortage of underslung LPG tanks they are fitting a gas locker for two 4.5kg bottles (butane) instead. Dealer says that space in locker would not be enough for a Gaslow system (34cm). Any suggestions anyone as intend to travel to Europe and therefore Calor not going to work and will be expensive?
I would see if they could sort you out with a couple of safefill bottles, we have 2 x 10kg bottles and a set of adaptors we fill up at the LPG pump anywhere in Europe for peanuts. Rich.

Upvote 0

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
We had a gasit 25 litre underslung tank, with remote gauge and switch, adapted so we could still use a bottle if required £1200. Just to give you an idea of cost in September 2019
Just had underslung 25 litre tank fitted by Propex in Ringwood. Cost was less than £800. Still have single gas tank in locker just in case. it was mentioned to me that there is a shortage of tanks.
Excellent service by Propex by the way. Also fitted gas bbw point and shower point in garage if this is something being considered.
I would definitely be asking for a standard gas kit right now and push for 500 off. Then give Propex a call.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Having caught up with this thread, and being a cynic, I am wondering if a mistake has already been made and the vans are half-built without the tank and with a tiny locker instead?
I advise both affected to ask to visit and inspect the vehicle as it is right now....

Just saying

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2021
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit SWB
I've just been told my 2022 Expedition is locker not underslung - so no mistake there.

I've also been told that they will reduce the price by £200, but as the 2022 prices have not yet been released ( so I'm told ) and I should expect a small uplift from the 2021 price I very much doubt I have any reduction at all.

Has anyone got any photos of what teh locker looks like in a 67 ?

Also am I right in thinking that 2 x3.9l bottles is equivilent to approximately a reduction of TWO THIRDS capacity? I know the maths is right I just wondered whether comparing tanks with bottles is a correct comparison.

Thanks

Upvote 1
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This was on a recent post the general consensus on here was that they are pulling a fast one and saving plenty of money switching to a locker as they were not refillable they guy said.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ianthelawyer
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
Here's the picture from Auto Trail together with technical spec.
I've just been told my 2022 Expedition is locker not underslung - so no mistake there.

I've also been told that they will reduce the price by £200, but as the 2022 prices have not yet been released ( so I'm told ) and I should expect a small uplift from the 2021 price I very much doubt I have any reduction at all.

Has anyone got any photos of what teh locker looks like in a 67 ?

Also am I right in thinking that 2 x3.9l bottles is equivilent to approximately a reduction of TWO THIRDS capacity? I know the maths is right I just wondered whether comparing tanks with bottles is a correct comparison.

Thanks
Here's the picture and technical spec.

Gas Locker.png

Attachments

• Expedition gas locker size.PDF
    88.3 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

skyetripper

Free Member
Apr 5, 2021
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Just picked up on this and I also have an Expedition 67 on order and due June / July. We’re new to camper vans so I don’t really have any point of reference as to how long two small bottles would last, although the maths says 2/3 of what the under slung tank would.

Dealer hasn’t said anything to me yet, but I assume our van will be bottles rather than tank. I have sympathy with Auto Trail, but I don’t think the solution is adequate tbh. Not having a fillable tank hampers European touring plans, and I’m not happy at losing storage space.

Not really sure what the answer is here, (accept the bottles, get a discount and add a tank??) but I’ll ring the dealer next week and report if I hear anything new.

Also worth noting that the plans of the locker are titled as v-line has locker, so it’s clearly not just the Expedition models that are affected…

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2021
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit SWB
Here's the picture from Auto Trail together with technical spec.

Here's the picture and technical spec.

View attachment 505733

Its going to be a squeze getting 2x3.9kg bottles in there.

According to the spec the outside of the box narrows to 259mm, and a 3.9kg is 240mm - only allows for 10mm each side which has to include the width of the wall of the locker....

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I actually own Autogas 2000 , there is a massive shortage of most products at the moment and no amount of jumping up and down at dealers or manufacturers is going to change the shortage of raw materials needed for production of cylinders etc .
We are just about managing to keep stocks up but massive price increases on everything is making things pretty difficult for everyone .
Can you tell me please if there is a shortag of the LPG gas itself. There are hardly any LPG stations in Oxfordshire and some say they are waiting for deliveries and have no idea when that will happen. Many thanks

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Its going to be a squeze getting 2x3.9kg bottles in there.

According to the spec the outside of the box narrows to 259mm, and a 3.9kg is 240mm - only allows for 10mm each side which has to include the width of the wall of the locker....

They will fit in there okay as Calor bottles are round and not square.

1623670351398.png

Upvote 1

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Can you tell me please if there is a shortag of the LPG gas itself. There are hardly any LPG stations in Oxfordshire and some say they are waiting for deliveries and have no idea when that will happen. Many thanks
Yes there is apparently some supply problems at the moment, something to do with the refinery shut down for maintenance.
Causing problems for Calor etc too .
Our suppliers said lorries can be waiting for 20 or more hours to load ⚠️
Only short term so I am told
That’s the least of our problems as just about everything is in short supply and metal prices have doubled or more due to limited supply ⚠️
Prices are climbing on an almost daily basis.

Upvote 1
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
As a comment on this, it's maybe OK to say that it's a sellers market now but it wont be long before it becomes very much a buyers market as all the newbies that have bought into vans this year and last might well revert to their norm next year and many of them will be on the market. At that point you wouldn't want to be holding a van with a 4 day gas supply endurance and a prospective buyer working out the cost of fitting a decent capacity! When it comes to money it's never what you've already spent that counts, it's what you have to spend in the future that matters!

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
hey are fitting a gas locker for two 4.5kg bottles (butane) instead.
I used to have a 22L bulk tank & certainly would't want anything smaller be it bottles or tank.

Upvote 0

doug8511

Free Member
Jun 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e799

Upvote 0

doug8511

Free Member
Jun 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
bessacarr e799
Hi
I’ve just seen your post this afternoon and I also have an Expedition on order, albeit a 66 model.
ordered in January for April delivery but been delayed twice so far and expected to be ready in September. I’ve not been advised of the issue yet by the dealership but would be interested if you have had any luck with your dealership ? Possibly coming to a mutual agreement?

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi
I’ve just seen your post this afternoon and I also have an Expedition on order, albeit a 66 model.
ordered in January for April delivery but been delayed twice so far and expected to be ready in September. I’ve not been advised of the issue yet by the dealership but would be interested if you have had any luck with your dealership ? Possibly coming to a mutual agreement?
I would put money on an agreement, but I doubt it will be mutual

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Unfortunately this seems to have been proffered as a solution probably by someone who doesn't really use these types of vehicles off grid. I have come to the conclusion that Autotrail, who market their PVCs as Campervans, see them as little more than one night stopover use. If you are doing anything more the designers must be anticipating you will have arrived at a site and would be using EHU so that you won't be reliant on gas other than for a little bit of cooking.

The Autotrail PVC electric systems are much the same, intended for only a night or so off grid with the paltry 75Ah capacity (it's actually not even that when you look at the Banner labels). For the pricing of the Expedition you accept there will be an overall base specification, but even the V-Line has similar electrics slightly redeemed that that vehicle gets a solar panel.

I see the Autotrail website does now list the gas locker 2 x 3.9 bottle solution as the standard. You have to go to their S or SE ranges for an underslung tank. No doubt now part of their justification for different pricing points.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back