Auto-Trail Switching from Underslung LPG to Bottles (4 Viewers)

Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
I have a new Expedition 67 on order from Auto-Trail. However, dealership has just been notified that due to a shortage of underslung LPG tanks they are fitting a gas locker for two 4.5kg bottles (butane) instead. Dealer says that space in locker would not be enough for a Gaslow system (34cm). Any suggestions anyone as intend to travel to Europe and therefore Calor not going to work and will be expensive?

May 14, 2021
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Exp
Since 2015
With all due respect, that’s not really my problem. I signed up to, and paid a deposit for, something i’m not going to get. What really annoys me is that I appear to have no say in the matter - I’ve simply been presented with an option that is of little value to me.

Feel free to call it “jumping up and down” if it floats your boat but paying in excess of 42 grand for something that won’t do what I need certainly doesn’t float mine. Given the choice, i’d rather wait a few months and actually finish up with what I ordered than accept a shoddy compromise. Unfortunately, that is not on offer.

Consumer’s rights are there for a reason and I certainly intend to exercise mine.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ianthelawyer
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
Kannon Fodda sums up the situation well. Auto Trail won't supply tank and won't give a discount. Dealers are offering a couple of butane cylinders without charge. There would be a right to reject under Consumer Rights Act 2015 but then you would have no van and, given the very competitive pricing, a new or different van will cost more. It's a seller's market.
Perhaps an e-mail to scott.stephens@auto-trail.co.uk asking what alternatives there are to this unsatisfactory situation may prompt them to re-think - retro fit at later date, raising bench for Gaslow system, money off?
No one is blaming Auto Trail for genuine supply difficulties (and will be sympathetic) and no one wants a delay to delivery, however, there has to be a better workaround.

Upvote 1
May 14, 2021
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Exp
Since 2015
Kannon Fodda sums up the situation well. Auto Trail won't supply tank and won't give a discount. Dealers are offering a couple of butane cylinders without charge. There would be a right to reject under Consumer Rights Act 2015 but then you would have no van and, given the very competitive pricing, a new or different van will cost more. It's a seller's market.
Perhaps an e-mail to scott.stephens@auto-trail.co.uk asking what alternatives there are to this unsatisfactory situation may prompt them to re-think - retro fit at later date, raising bench for Gaslow system, money off?
No one is blaming Auto Trail for genuine supply difficulties (and will be sympathetic) and no one wants a delay to delivery, however, there has to be a better workaround.
Hi Ian,
Things are moving on, just received this in an Email from the dealership

"Hi Mr D*****

We have been sent an e-mail from Auto-Trail and they are giving a £200 price reduction on all Expeditions.

Regards

Andy"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So now they've accepted the precedent of a price reduction - all you have to do is negotiate a reasonable amount [not a paltry £200] to cover the cost of having an external tank fitted later.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
£200 not enough tell them all the issues with what they are fitting instead and that you will have to fit an aftermarket underslung tank(Which are available), tell them not to bother with fitting their proposed system at all and that if they source the fitting company for the original spec underslung tank and pay the bill then that’s fair all round.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
£200 not enough tell them all the issues with what they are fitting instead and that you will have to fit an aftermarket underslung tank(Which are available), tell them not to bother with fitting their proposed system at all and that if they source the fitting company for the original spec underslung tank and pay the bill then that’s fair all round.
I know you’re right, but they do tend to have the opinion that they are doing you a favour selling it to you in the first place. I think it’s in a dealerships dna

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
With all due respect, that’s not really my problem. I signed up to, and paid a deposit for, something i’m not going to get. What really annoys me is that I appear to have no say in the matter - I’ve simply been presented with an option that is of little value to me.

Feel free to call it “jumping up and down” if it floats your boat but paying in excess of 42 grand for something that won’t do what I need certainly doesn’t float mine. Given the choice, i’d rather wait a few months and actually finish up with what I ordered than accept a shoddy compromise. Unfortunately, that is not on offer.

Consumer’s rights are there for a reason and I certainly intend to exercise mine.

Good choice - cancel the order and look for something else. If enough people with common sense do the same then the manufacturer will soon get the message.

I get the distinct impression from reading the various posts above that the manufacturer, including its dealer network, does not give a $h!t about its customers.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good choice - cancel the order and look for something else. If enough people with common sense do the same then the manufacturer will soon get the message.

I get the distinct impression from reading the various posts above that the manufacturer, including its dealer network, does not give a $h!t about its customers.
That will not worry the dealer or manufacturer at all. In the present seller's market they will be able to easily sell it to somebody else and probably at a higher price. And the OP will probably have to wait even longer for an alternative and pay more for it in the end.

Cutting your own nose off as they say. So swallow your pride and negotiate as much as you can off and get the tank retro fitted would be my suggestion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ianthelawyer
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
Just received an e-mail from the dealer saying that they have received an e-mail from Auto-Trail re the £200 discount. Does anyone know when this e-mail was sent? My guess is that an underslung tank is £800-£1000 to fit. I also guess that Auto-Trail have pared down the cost to the bare minimum and with price rises are very tight on budget.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just received an e-mail from the dealer saying that they have received an e-mail from Auto-Trail re the £200 discount. Does anyone know when this e-mail was sent? My guess is that an underslung tank is £800-£1000 to fit. I also guess that Auto-Trail have pared down the cost to the bare minimum and with price rises are very tight on budget.
My underslung tank was about £850 five years ago.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

You'll also need to ask the dealer if the addition of an aftermarket LPG installation would void any part of the Autotrail warranty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ianthelawyer
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
That will not worry the dealer or manufacturer at all. In the present seller's market they will be able to easily sell it to somebody else and probably at a higher price. And the OP will probably have to wait even longer for an alternative and pay more for it in the end.

Cutting your own nose off as they say. So swallow your pride and negotiate as much as you can off and get the tank retro fitted would be my suggestion.
I think you're probably right. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Very good point. Thanks.
You know the drill! Reserve all your rights and remedies when you take delivery. Then at a later date issue a claim in the small claims track against the dealer for damages for breach of contract. The damages would be the cost of getting an underslung LPG tank fitted with all pipework, and any internal repairs after removal of the temporary gas locker. You may have to give credit for the £200 price reduction but that's debatable.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ianthelawyer
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
You know the drill! Reserve all your rights and remedies when you take delivery. Then at a later date issue a claim in the small claims track against the dealer for damages for breach of contract. The damages would be the cost of getting an underslung LPG tank fitted with all pipework, and any internal repairs after removal of the temporary gas locker. You may have to give credit for the £200 price reduction but that's debatable.

Good luck.
I know very well although try to keep HMCS out of my private life.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Perhaps they could point you in the direction of an after market supplier where the tanks could be fitted at the figure quoted?, Or more likely not!!!
Mike

Upvote 0

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Any suggestions anyone as intend to travel to Europe and therefore Calor not going to work and will be expensive?
I have a lot of sympathy with the consumer rights points of view.

But, if you have the choice of a gas locker or no 'van, have you considered Safefill gas bottles.

We use two of them. They can be re-filled at fuel stations. The LPG does not freeze in winter and the bottles are much lighter than Calor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ianthelawyer
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
I have a lot of sympathy with the consumer rights points of view.

But, if you have the choice of a gas locker or no 'van, have you considered Safefill gas bottles.

We use two of them. They can be re-filled at fuel stations. The LPG does not freeze in winter and the bottles are much lighter than Calor.
One of the issues (apart from Auto Trail not supplying what they promised) is that the gas locker is too small to fit a couple of Gaslow 6kgs. this may be the same for the Safefill. Any thoughts on having two X 2.7 kg (9 useable litres) Gaslows? Gas usage in spring/autumn likely to be pretty low, about 1.5 - 2 litres a day, summer very little and winter mainly EHU. Would refill LPG whenever topping up with diesel (assuming can find the stuff).

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We have one 18Kg Gaslow bottle which lasts about 4 days in the middle of winter with heating on much of the day as well as very low at night if temperature is going below 5 deg. Even when the guage says empty I have never put in more than 14 litres of LPG. It will last anything up to a month in summer/decent weather.

It is absolutely no problem anywhere on the continent, and should we go away for more than 4 nights in UK winter I just check on lpg.eu to see where the nearest lpg is to where we're staying. Only once in 15 years have I actually had to leave a meet site to refill before the end of the planned stay.

When I put the system in I thought I'd probably have a second bottle added later, but I haven't needed to.

Upvote 0

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
the gas locker is too small to fit a couple of Gaslow 6kgs. this may be the same for the Safefill.
Probably so. All of the Safefill bottles appear to be the same diameter. Just the height changes for the different size bottles.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Most of the tanks are actually saying preorder for end of June delivery ⚠️Some cylinders we have ordered are now end of the year if we are lucky ⚠️

I don't think 3 saying preorder out of 16 equates most.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back