Auto-Trail Switching from Underslung LPG to Bottles (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Just starting
I have a new Expedition 67 on order from Auto-Trail. However, dealership has just been notified that due to a shortage of underslung LPG tanks they are fitting a gas locker for two 4.5kg bottles (butane) instead. Dealer says that space in locker would not be enough for a Gaslow system (34cm). Any suggestions anyone as intend to travel to Europe and therefore Calor not going to work and will be expensive?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
LPG is a huge factor for us to help sustain our off-grid camping style so in our case we wouldn't be able to cope with your new proposed set-up.

You're spending a huge amount of money on your van so don't compromise on something you'll undoubtedly need in the future.

Good luck,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a new Expedition 67 on order from Auto-Trail. However, dealership has just been notified that due to a shortage of underslung LPG tanks they are fitting a gas locker for two 4.5kg bottles (butane) instead. Dealer says that space in locker would not be enough for a Gaslow system (34cm). Any suggestions anyone as intend to travel to Europe and therefore Calor not going to work and will be expensive?
If you want to roam around Europe you really need refillables, as there are no Europe wide refillable schemes except camping gaz butane. And those will be very expensive and butane is unsuitable for winter use and even autumn and spring in the UK.

As you are a lawyer I assume that you will be able to educate your dealer on consumer law. As others have suggested get a reduction of price and tell them you do not want a gas locker that is useless. Then use the reduction in price to get an external tank system fitted by others.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It sounds like the gas locker size won't be fit for purpose. Really does need to be able to accommodate proper sized bottles rather than piddly little things.

But, if there is to be a gas locker, is there actually space in the PVC for that without taking up too much storage. After all with the Expedition they were supposed to be an underslung gas tank, and even the chassis mounted whale heater "creating valuable storage and living space" according to the Autotrail blurb. A gas locker defeats the benefits.

On the other side, LPG Autogas refills may still be common in parts of Europe. We have many threads on MHF moaning of the increased difficulty finding garages and working pumps in parts of the UK. Although with the rise of outdoor pursuits, obtaining bottled gas has also been a challenge from some suppliers, and it is vastly more costly, bottled gas may also be the future for the UK camper.

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in the same position.
Any idea how much it will cost to retro-fit an under-slung gas tank so I have an idea how much of a price reduction I need to aim for?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The little Calor bottles are about £20 a refill.

In winter we used one in a day, it gets eye watering expensive.

I would ask for a discount, enough to be able to fit your own gas tank.

Upvote 1
May 14, 2021
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

The dealership have just responded to my Email enquiring about a cost reduction with the following

"I understand your disappointment.
Auto-Trail are not offering any price reduction but our MD will fit all Expedition models with 2 full gas bottles FOC"

Frankly, this will not suffice. Any insights into what my rights are under consumer law in this situation?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

The dealership have just responded to my Email enquiring about a cost reduction with the following

Auto-Trail are not offering any price reduction but our MD will fit all Expedition models with 2 full gas bottles FOC"

Frankly, this will not suffice. Any insights into what my rights are under consumer law in this situation?
I would obtain a price from autogas 2000 for an underslung tank(Although they would need to look at the van to see what size would fit) then get back to the dealer saying you will be that much out of pocket because you will need to fit one aftermarket.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,

When you signed your agreement to purchase, was it to have included the underslung tank, if you did, then they are in breach of contract.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would obtain a price from autogas 2000 for an underslung tank(Although they would need to look at the van to see what size would fit) then get back to the dealer saying you will be that much out of pocket because you will need to fit one aftermarket.
I think that is reasonable, I know you would have to travel there to get it done but I don’t think that they would stump that up.

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your help but I don't have the van yet. Delivery is planned for the end of June.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, I have the right to a full refund, on the grounds that the product is not as described.
However, I would like to give the dealership a chance to do the right thing. Frankly, I find their offer of a couple of free gas bottles a little insulting. Maybe I'm a bit touchy ;)

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Pretty much unacceptable. Completely different to what you have ordered, very inconvenient and if butane then useless in the winter.

Tell them you will have too cancel the order if they cannot supply what you have ordered as this is a fundamental change

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
2x 4.5kg bottles in place of an underslung tank is going to be more costly to you in the long run,more inconvenient,as you will have to change the bottles more often ,assuming you can find 4.5 kg bottles as I wouldn't think they are very popular.
I would check with autogas or similar if they can fit an underslung tank and or a price and have the dealer use them .if not ask for your money back

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
2x 4.5kg bottles in place of an underslung tank is going to be more costly to you in the long run,more inconvenient,as you will have to change the bottles more often ,assuming you can find 4.5 kg bottles as I wouldn't think they are very popular.
I would check with autogas or similar if they can fit an underslung tank and or a price and have the dealer use them .if not ask for your money back
That the problem though autogas 2000 will say we don’t know what size if any will fit until you fetch it.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
That the problem though autogas 2000 will say we don’t know what size if any will fit until you fetch it.
There must be similar vans they can use as examples,they must fit lots to pvc type vans.the cost if there are variations would be the tank size ,other parts would be the same,just different lengths of pipe etc.
To supply 2x 4.5 bottles is a low cost it's the cost of the locker that puts the price up to that nearer an underslung system.
It's not really ticket science to obtain a ballpark price.
Untill asked autogas can't advise a quote.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Issue here is not necessarily the cost, but the practicality of what is a material change in the spec of the ordered van.

It's clear that the manufacturer, for whatever reason, isn't going to fit the underslung tank, and instead provides the gas locker. Even if an underslung cylinder is retrofitted, once they become available, the van is going to have this locker space instead of standard storage. Would that locker compromise the van in some way compared to the use you would have been able to have. Perhaps it might be advantageous, even if not used for gas, if it's accessible from outside, rather than a PVC's standard inside storage, for some of those small potentially wet things you carry around like hoses, leads, buckets and even a BBQ?

If the gas locker is in any way unacceptable you are stuck with awkward choices:

Can the build be delayed in the hope that an underslung tank will become available? Is a delayed build acceptable - may depend on timescales?

You are entitled to stop the deal as it wont be fit for purpose, not as ordered. All monies including deposit should be refundable. Need to act swiftly there may be a cut off time to back out of the deal now you are notified of the change. This may have some difficulty if the build is well progressed and some items on the van are specifically customised for you, and that is one for the lawyers if cancellation is rejected.
But cancelling means you get no van at all. Finding something else, even if another dealer, especially for new build puts you at the back of the queue, for any manufacturer, and with a shortage of base vehicles, you might be looking at delivery next year rather than this?

You can try and compel a part refund or credit. But that doesn't overcome that they will still be fitting the undesirable locker. Is there any way the van could be built with the internal pipework and fittings for the underslung but no gas locker, so you, later, can get the underslung fitted aftermarket. That may not work as if they can't sell the van completed, all sorts of handover completion checks won't be in place.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I actually own Autogas 2000 , there is a massive shortage of most products at the moment and no amount of jumping up and down at dealers or manufacturers is going to change the shortage of raw materials needed for production of cylinders etc .
We are just about managing to keep stocks up but massive price increases on everything is making things pretty difficult for everyone .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back