Peakclimber

Free Member
Dec 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Since 2008
Anyone had any experience of EasyGo plus which apparently can now be used in Austria for 3.5t plus ..

Deleted User
Couple of points for the sub 3.5 tonners amongst us

You can now buy a digital pass online (no need for an actual vignette sticker)

If you are passing through Austria from the Munich area and are entering the motorway at Innsbruck (A13 Brenner), this is a separate toll system, you pay at the booths and don’t need a vignette (y)

Im referring to the green bit on this pic :giggle:

2C300691-7A14-4C96-96F8-E67E9F8AF5EB.png

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Update on 'progress' with appeal.

After appealing by email on 3rd of June I have hd no response so entered into 'live chat' last week and promised a response by yesterday.No response so entered into live chat again today and was told that the best thing was to call direct.

The call was , basically, fruitless. I explained that , as I had to pay by the 19/6 I was looking for resolution or an extension as I did not want to incur extra penalties.

Aus "That is not an option, You must pay the full amount"

Me "But the fine is wrong. I checked on line and when buying it and the person who sold it told me I had enough credit and you know you will not refund it"

Aus "He is not our employee, it is your responsibility"

Me " I know, that is why I checked and I had enough credit according to your own website"

Aus" You must pay"

Me "will I get a response to my original email?"

Aus " Yes, of course"

So I paid , circa £250 with bank charges!

Should I get a response i will provide a further update

Moral of the story- add a few more euros to whatever you calculate your trip will cost or expect a nasty shock some 8 months later.( the reason it takes so long is that they wait to see if you re-enter the country in the next 6 months apparently)

Oh well, you pay to learn...........................................and you never stop paying!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
That’s a very good question....mines the same....3850kg....if I do decide use Austrian motorways....and I’ll do my danmdnest not to....I’ll buy a Vignette like I used to in my previous MH which was 3500kg....of course it has the GVW on the plate on the side..... maybe some tipex?
I was flashed by speed cameras several times in France in my Rapido A class plated at 3880kg on roads with speed restrictions for vehicles over 3500 kg. Never heard anything
Spongy

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I can’t stand people who throw litter...however we are one of the most monitored countries in the world...CCTV per head of population....I’d rather a bit of lawlessness than live in the dystopian 1984 world to which we are heading...or have reached and gone beyond.
Actually we can do with cameras at the start of the A14 at Felixstowe Docks , funny rubbish is always on the left verge , I suspect it's our European left hooker's who sling their rubbish , and we all keep paying for the cleanup

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We have never visited Austria in the motorhome and some of stories on here regarding Motorways and GoBoxes don’t make it sound too inviting.

We would like to go and see the scenery and way of life there, so three basic questions......

1. Is a GoBox necessary for a m/h under 3500kls?

2. Is a GoBox only required if you use Motorways, or for any road?

3. If it is only required for Motorways how easy is it avoid them? We normally only use Motorways to “get there”, and like to use more minor roads when touring an area.

Thank you, in advance to those who are experienced in the mysterious ways of the Austrians (y)
I don't think this has been answered, so here goes:
1. GoBox is only required if over 3.5t but you'd need a vignette to use motorways if less than 3.5t.
2. GoBox (or vignette) is not required for ordinary roads.
3. You don't need to use the motorways to visit Austria, but you will need to be careful to avoid them if you haven't paid the toll charges. It will take a bit longer to travel, of course, but you will see much more of the country.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Update on 'progress' with appeal.

Moral of the story- add a few more euros to whatever you calculate your trip will cost or expect a nasty shock some 8 months later.( the reason it takes so long is that they wait to see if you re-enter the country in the next 6 months apparently)
Or the moral could equally be to never go to Austria again. That is the stance I have taken since I read what happened to gillnphil a while ago. Plenty of other places that make it simpler for visitors, even Switzerland. I must say that the one time we did visit Austria, I was not impressed with the welcome, or lack of it, we got.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I don't think this has been answered, so here goes:
1. GoBox is only required if over 3.5t but you'd need a vignette to use motorways if less than 3.5t.
2. GoBox (or vignette) is not required for ordinary roads.
3. You don't need to use the motorways to visit Austria, but you will need to be careful to avoid them if you haven't paid the toll charges. It will take a bit longer to travel, of course, but you will see much more of the country.

We kept the use of the GoBox down to a minimum by mainly using the 'ordinary roads', which we found to be very well maintained.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Or the moral could equally be to never go to Austria again. That is the stance I have taken since I read what happened to gillnphil a while ago. Plenty of other places that make it simpler for visitors, even Switzerland. I must say that the one time we did visit Austria, I was not impressed with the welcome, or lack of it, we got.
Love both Austria and Switzerland , been going for 40 yrs plus ( this was only the second time in a Mhome though- and 1st was in 2000 when I have no memory of the Go Box system)
Haven't seen, and can't find the gillnphil thread - tell me more

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Love both Austria and Switzerland , been going for 40 yrs plus ( this was only the second time in a Mhome though- and 1st was in 2000 when I have no memory of the Go Box system)
Haven't seen, and can't find the gillnphil thread - tell me more
For a short precise see post #49 in this thread posted by gillnphil . As I understand it they were not planning to use motorways so did not get a gobox. They were driving on an ordinary road and came across a police road block and they were instructed to divert to the motorway. A few miles onto the motorway they were stopped by police and fined for having no gobox.

I am sure Phil will be along to explain in more detail.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
For a short precise see post #49 in this thread posted by gillnphil . As I understand it they were not planning to use motorways so did not get a gobox. They were driving on an ordinary road and came across a police road block and they were instructed to divert to the motorway. A few miles onto the motorway they were stopped by police and fined for having no gobox.

I am sure Phil will be along to explain in more detail.
Cheers Peterc. I thought you were referring to an earlier thread I had missed.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cheers Peterc. I thought you were referring to an earlier thread I had missed.
Well I was really. I think it happened a year or two ago and Phil posted it at the time in a lot more detail than the precise he gave in this thread!

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We didn’t find the GoBox particularly difficult. We put enough credit in/on the box to cover a one-way transit. We were somewhat perturbed when the single beeps turned to double beeps very soon after we got going. I’m not sure at what distance remaining the beeps double, treble etc.

We returned the box by post. I recall it took a while to get the small credit due to us.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
We didn’t find the GoBox particularly difficult. We put enough credit in/on the box to cover a one-way transit. We were somewhat perturbed when the single beeps turned to double beeps very soon after we got going. I’m not sure at what distance remaining the beeps double, treble etc.

We returned the box by post. I recall it took a while to get the small credit due to us.
Similarly we had no difficulties with it but the fine was unexpected as we never even got to the advertised 2 beep stage. i.e we left Austria thinking we had paid our way and, 8 months later got a massive ( relativlely) fine which we have had to pay before matters escalate and, as yet, have had no response to our emails or resolution from 'phone calls.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Well, well, well- there is a Gott!

Response to my original email of 3rd June appealing the fine came today. The case has been reviewed, the fine was justified BUT they have decided not to charge me.

As I had already paid , to avoid, further complications, the money will be returned to my bank account.

So just the cost of the foreign bank transfer and inevitable exchange rate loss to pay.

Anyone wanting my grovelling, appeal to their better nature style of copywriting please PM me!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So after reading all that I'm still nervous about entering Austria ....the luck I have could make it expensive and I hate motorways

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I guess the lesson is that if diverted... stop and work out another toll free route even if it means doubling back on yourself.
That's not often easy once on a motorway though when you've no co pilot ....this is where I most often encounter problems is if there is diversions etc but nowhere to stop to reset the nag.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That's not often easy once on a motorway though when you've no co pilot ....this is where I most often encounter problems is if there is diversions etc but nowhere to stop to reset the nag.
I gather from that CoPilot uses the same basic software as Tomtom.. and the very reason I only use Garmin ( for all its foibles )
Tomtom seems to think 'ahh toll roads/motorways must be ok now' and carry on using them, where as Garmin will get you back off a toll et al as quickly as possible

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I gather from that CoPilot uses the same basic software as Tomtom.. and the very reason I only use Garmin ( for all its foibles )
Tomtom seems to think 'ahh toll roads/motorways must be ok now' and carry on using them, where as Garmin will get you back off a toll et al as quickly as possible
No I meant co pilot as in a passenger to check a map etc ....I've tried training the dog but she don't get it.

My Tom Tom is notorious for getting me in trouble though hence I bought a cheap truck nav before I left so I can enter dimensions etc

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No I meant co pilot as in a passenger to check a map etc ....I've tried training the dog but she don't get it.

My Tom Tom is notorious for getting me in trouble though hence I bought a cheap truck nav before I left so I can enter dimensions etc
Ahh.. Dillon is an excellent co-pilot for me.. Does not moan about what I have on the radio, never complains that I am going too fast, does not insist I stop for lunch.. and has never put me wrong direction wise ! ( aint put me right either but canna have everything !!!! )

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I guess the lesson is that if diverted... stop and work out another toll free route even if it means doubling back on yourself.
If you are being diverted off a motorway many times you cannot. It is like the M25 & the LEZ. If due to an accident you are diverted off M25 at most points you are in the LEZ at the end of the slip road exit.= Large fine Ask GWAYGWAY

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
if you are over 3.5t you need a go box. When i got mine they asked where I was going and told me how much this would cost. They told me to watch for the beeps and what they meant. They gave me instructions that also re-enforced the message. I'm real thick but understood it.
Also you do not have to return your go box as stated above. You pay for it and you keep it, mines still on the windscreen, it looks cool.

On fines abroad. I had 3 sent to me for speeding on my Vespa across the bridge in to Venice all over a 2 day period. Still waiting my court date some 2.5 years later. My mate that used the Brenner toll and jumped the gate is still waiting his court appearance from the same trip, he missed the turn.

However, what I would say is that if you get a ticket abroad, and you intend on going back there with the same number plate having not paid the fine, expect to be pulled, now this has happened to someone I know.
How much do you have to not for the go box ?
We need to get one for a very short journey over the border from Bodensee to Nenzing.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
You can calculate it on their website.
Even better, click on the live chat and ask them and they will go through it with you.
My advice would be to put extra on it and not put the minimum on.
That way, you know you’ll have enough if you stray off your planned route.
You can always apply for the refund when you hand the box back.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
🙄...thank God we’ve left the EU so it will hopefully put us back into control of our own citizens and stop the British public funding French Autoroutes.....they don’t fund ours !

Errr, actually the EU did give a substantial fund to the UK road system, as they did for most of Europe, with the exception of France, as their road system is funded by tolls and the tax on fuel.
It may have escaped your notice but the UK paid £12 Billion plus each year into the EU, so they did not give us anything, so we had already paid for your so-called substantial fund, being in the EU was like going into Tesco and giving them £100 of which they give £30 back to spend in shop, the rest they give out to other shoppers who have not paid in as much, and in some instances given them far more than they contributed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back