SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
if you are over 3.5t you need a go box. When i got mine they asked where I was going and told me how much this would cost. They told me to watch for the beeps and what they meant. They gave me instructions that also re-enforced the message. I'm real thick but understood it.
Also you do not have to return your go box as stated above. You pay for it and you keep it, mines still on the windscreen, it looks cool.

On fines abroad. I had 3 sent to me for speeding on my Vespa across the bridge in to Venice all over a 2 day period. Still waiting my court date some 2.5 years later. My mate that used the Brenner toll and jumped the gate is still waiting his court appearance from the same trip, he missed the turn.

However, what I would say is that if you get a ticket abroad, and you intend on going back there with the same number plate having not paid the fine, expect to be pulled, now this has happened to someone I know.
Don't know where I read about returning the box, thought it was on mhf!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Don`t you have to have to show your v5 for the vignette ?
No.
I simply bought a Vignette sticker at the first service station into Austria for the German hire car I was driving last Xmas.
They never even asked for the number plate!
You stick it in the window and it's read by the cameras
It cost €9 and lasts 14 days

My thought is, if it's that simple how can they tell the difference between a UK registered van that is registered at 3.5t vs one that is registered at 3.8t
However a cross check on the ANPR would answer the question, which then brings up the next question, is would they bother, I suspect knowing the Austrians is yes they would.

Johnny Foreigner taking the piss seems to wind up right wing governments.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It is your responsibility to get the right vignette for your vehicle. In Hungary is on your no plate, same as in Ro. Also they put the chassis no of the V5 on the ticket, you check it and sign it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Firstly, I sympathise with you for getting a fine for a trip last year. There should be a month window to get any fines sent out after the incident and anything after that should be wiped clean. But we’re not in an ideal world.
I’d be very surprised if you get anywhere with contesting this fine.
It’s been well documented on here before about similar fines regarding the Go Box from people who veered onto a motorway without knowing to people who didn’t return their box or didn’t have enough funds on it.
The website has a route calculator on it and you can select your vehicle type and route and it calculates how much funds you need to put on your go box.
It also states to put extra on just in case.
You can even do a web chat live with a human who will calculate you route cost and advise you what to do.
It even Tells you which service stations sell them and where you can return them to.
I travelled up from Italy via the Brenner Pass, collecting the go box at an Italian petrol station (given a demonstration of how it worked and receipt for the amount I had put on. The guy asked me my route and suggested the minimum I should put on it credit wise) and exited Austria via the Fussen Pass, returning the go box at the last petrol station before the German border.
On returning it, I was given receipts of how much I had used and how much balance was remaining that would be refunded within 7 days back onto my credit card.
By the time I had got home, they had refunded the remaining balance onto my credit card.
So for the sake of about €8 was it not worth adding another 20quid onto the original credit loading to ensure that you’d be within your credit?

As for buying a vignette instead of a go box, I’m surprised that this has been asked given what the OP has just received by way of fine for not being in credit to the tune of €8.
That just goes to show that they’ve zero tolerance.
We went through a manned toll on our route and he wanted to see whether we had a go box or a vignette.
Our van is a 5.2t tag so there’s no getting away with pulling the wool over eyes.
Question is, is it worth taking the risk and getting stopped and getting a big fine and the hassle/inconvenience?
Also, the go box belongs to them. You basically borrow it and load it with credit.
There are members on here who have been fined months after returning from Austria because they’ve not returned their go box or sent it and it was lost in the post.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Just my personal experience on this issue in Germany.

My UK based international company was excessively charged by a German company for work carried out.
The bill was disputed, my company refused to pay.
The German company took my UK company to the equivalent of the small claims court
We did not attend and ignored all court orders, and refused to appoint a lawyer.
The judge took a very dim view of this.
He not only awarded the German company 100% of their excessive charge, he then doubled it, added in all the court costs, and then a fine on top of that.
He then had HMG put a block on all our accounts in the UK so we were unable to trade or even pay salaries he then had our bankers (Barclays) bought in to ensure that all the money was paid.
The original amount was about £4,000, the final payout was about £25K
What judge ? A German judge ? The European Court For Justice that Barnier insists has ultimate jurisdiction over a sovereign country such an England. Good job we’ve left....

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
So the operators of the Dartford Bridge go down to Dover and interfere with Ferry Company’s income...or are you saying UK Border Force are being used to collect toll fines...think they’ve got better things to do.

The ultimate owners of the Dartford bridge are HMG
HMG (and for that matter Joe Public) have every right to stop a fugitive fleeing the country.
Not only do the UK Border Force stop people who have evaded fares and tolls they have been known to stop people leaving with unpaid hotel bills and other misdemeanors.
You’d think they’d have better things to do than chasing unpaid hotel bills...UK Border Force ?...UK Border Farce more like 😊

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Agreed.
But how do they know the weight of my van unless they take a close look at the plate ?
Could I simply buy a 3,500 kg vignette ?
Apart from any other methods it is increasingly common for electronic systems to be installed in the road surface that calculate the weight. You drive through and it knows.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'm aware that operators of the Dartford Bridge have been actively chasing non-payment for EU nationals.
At least one repeat offender was stopped at Dover and not permitted on the ferry until all outstanding fines had been paid.
They also do it at eurotunnel with anpr on foreign trucks as well.
So the operators of the Dartford Bridge go down to Dover and interfere with Ferry Company’s income...or are you saying UK Border Force are being used to collect toll fines...think they’ve got better things to do.
Nothing to do with the ferry company, or euro tunnel. anpr brings up the details & the French customs/border force the UK side do the charging. Also the Dartford crossing is managed by a French company who illegally share info with French authorities. I caught them bang to rights having not only illegally shared my details with a parking company who themselves used a foreign collecting firm in Germany Who then attempted to illegally enforce a parking fine (froma camera.overstay of 11 minutes) using the cross border directive , which doesn't cover it & all sorts of other scamming tricks.

then Brittany Ferries chase that up and stop someone getting on a Ferry they have paid for..
as above it is the French customs who mug them. & remember BF are French .If they say s*** BF jump on the shovel.
Nah...sounds anecdotal...who’s database...what several,people....who’s they ? Was your cousin a drugs dealer perhaps ?
My neighbour was stopped at the tunnel to correct an underpayment by his firm, who are in Pamplona ,the week before last. He said they check all now.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I go out in our lane every few weeks and pick up litter. It is against the law to chuck coffee cups and cans etc out of your car but people still do it. Is it because they know they won't be caught? Is it ok to break the law because you can get away with it? I guess some folk think so.

Bit sad but it is has always been like this so I won't worry.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
They also do it at eurotunnel with anpr on foreign trucks as well.
Nothing to do with the ferry company, or euro tunnel. anpr brings up the details & the French customs/border force the UK side do the charging. Also the Dartford crossing is managed by a French company who illegally share info with French authorities. I caught them bang to rights having not only illegally shared my details with a parking company who themselves used a foreign collecting firm in Germany Who then attempted to illegally enforce a parking fine (froma camera.overstay of 11 minutes) using the cross border directive , which doesn't cover it & all sorts of other scamming tricks.

as above it is the French customs who mug them. & remember BF are French .If they say s*** BF jump on the shovel.

My neighbour was stopped at the tunnel to correct an underpayment by his firm, who are in Pamplona ,the week before last. He said they check all now.
Makes you wonder what Winston Smith would make of it all...

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I go out in our lane every few weeks and pick up litter. It is against the law to chuck coffee cups and cans etc out of your car but people still do it. Is it because they know they won't be caught? Is it ok to break the law because you can get away with it? I guess some folk think so.

Bit sad but it is has always been like this so I won't worry.
I can’t stand people who throw litter...however we are one of the most monitored countries in the world...CCTV per head of population....I’d rather a bit of lawlessness than live in the dystopian 1984 world to which we are heading...or have reached and gone beyond.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The thing that confuses me about some of the comments on this thread, is that when motorhomers want free/cheap campsites it's because 'we are all free spending motorhomers who spend loads of money in the local economy'

But on this thread (and others) people are looking at ways of committing fraud by lying about the size of their motohomes to save a few quid

Can someone please explain it to me?

Last edited:

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
He has previous on this issue.
Many of that generation still think the rest of Europe is a different country.

When do you think England will rejoin the EU ?
Lol....what generation am I ?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Agreed.
But how do they know the weight of my van unless they take a close look at the plate ?
Could I simply buy a 3,500 kg vignette ?
we got stopped entering Slovenia and the asked for or logbook and checked the plate, we had paid as a 3.5 and that's what we were.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
The thing that confuses me about some of the comments on this thread, is that when motorhomers want free/cheap campsites it's because 'we are all free spending motorhomers who spend loads of money in the local economy'

But on this thread (and others) people are looking at ways of committing fraud by lying about the size of their motohomes to save a few quid

Can someone please explain it to me?
I shall explain....it’s because a lot of people consider the speeding fines, tolls, parking meters, parking fines etc etc etc.as just another tax...and that motorists are just considered a cash cow. Roads should be built and funded through general taxes...sort of like we fund hospitals through general taxes. We don’t fund hospitals just by people who go there.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
if you are over 3.5t you need a go box. When i got mine they asked where I was going and told me how much this would cost. They told me to watch for the beeps and what they meant. They gave me instructions that also re-enforced the message. I'm real thick but understood it.
Also you do not have to return your go box as stated above. You pay for it and you keep it, mines still on the windscreen, it looks cool.

On fines abroad. I had 3 sent to me for speeding on my Vespa across the bridge in to Venice all over a 2 day period. Still waiting my court date some 2.5 years later. My mate that used the Brenner toll and jumped the gate is still waiting his court appearance from the same trip, he missed the turn.

However, what I would say is that if you get a ticket abroad, and you intend on going back there with the same number plate having not paid the fine, expect to be pulled, now this has happened to someone I know.
I change my number plates every month...thinking of getting one of those 007 DB5 revolving number plates fitted.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
They will be ruthless In their pursuit. It happened to us some years ago when they forced us onto a motorway by diverting us onto it for 7 kms then fining us. No amount of protesting made any difference. They and the Swiss have zero tollerance.
Phil

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Don't know where I read about returning the box, thought it was on mhf!
We returned ours and got a credit for the amount left on it after we vowed never to go to Austria again because of the stress the Go Box caused. It's an asolutely appalling system!!!

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Obtaing services by deception..........Theft!
I thought UK Border Force was to protect our borders not catch bicycle thieves...what are normal police doing....oh yes sitting in lay-bys trying to catch motorists doing 33mph in a 30mph zone.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Don`t you have to have to show your v5 for the vignette ?
Yo do for the Go Box.
Many thanks for all the responses. I have written an email explaining that the beep pattern never altered and so was unaware. Not hopeful that it will help but will post the outcome.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We returned ours and got a credit for the amount left on it after we vowed never to go to Austria again because of the stress the Go Box caused. It's an asolutely appalling system!!!
I'm interested in this. Austria is high on our list for when we are able to travel again.
What aspects of the system did you find particularly stressful?
Is it difficult to find somewhere to buy and return them?
I was hoping to get one in Germany.
I think we'd try to keep off the motorways as much as possible, but I'm a bit worried about accidentally ending up on one. :(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That’s a very good question....mines the same....3850kg....if I do decide use Austrian motorways....and I’ll do my danmdnest not to....I’ll buy a Vignette like I used to in my previous MH which was 3500kg....of course it has the GVW on the plate on the side..... maybe some tipex?

Are you saying that when you obtain a 'Go' Box in Austria, there is no examination of your V5?

Is it self declaration.?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Are you saying that when you obtain a 'Go' Box in Austria, there is no examination of your V5?

Is it self declaration.?
I would imagine that if they wanted to know your MGW all they need do was to look on the plate on your motorhome. I have never been to Austria so am not sure, but when I went through Switzerland they were quite happy to take my word (and money) that I was over 3.5t.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The goverment say they can't chase speeding fines abroad as it's the owner not the driver that gets fined but it's an offence over here not to inform police who was driving a car couldn't they use that to get fines paid

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have never visited Austria in the motorhome and some of stories on here regarding Motorways and GoBoxes don’t make it sound too inviting.

We would like to go and see the scenery and way of life there, so three basic questions......

1. Is a GoBox necessary for a m/h under 3500kls?

2. Is a GoBox only required if you use Motorways, or for any road?

3. If it is only required for Motorways how easy is it avoid them? We normally only use Motorways to “get there”, and like to use more minor roads when touring an area.

Thank you, in advance to those who are experienced in the mysterious ways of the Austrians (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back