Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Agreed.
But how do they know the weight of my van unless they take a close look at the plate ?
Could I simply buy a 3,500 kg vignette ?

Or have a link to the DVLA database.

Our van is 3650 kg and at the Swiss Border we purchased the HGV 10 day pass - quick and easy and cheaper than the vignette.

My sister-in-law didn't bother with the vignette for her car and has received papers. She used to live in Italy and transversed Switzerland several times. I've advised her just to apologise and pay up.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The thing that confuses me about some of the comments on this thread, is that when motorhomers want free/cheap campsites it's because 'we are all free spending motorhomers who spend loads of money in the local economy'

But on this thread (and others) people are looking at ways of committing fraud by lying about the size of their motohomes to save a few quid

Can someone please explain it to me?
It's just the same with the law. A lot rant about protesters breaking the law how youngsters disrespect the law but then go on about how they try to illegally avoid tolls abroad get fines but avoid paying them and hate speed cameras!!! . It seems laws are there to advise people and if they know better it's ok to ignore them.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Firstly, I sympathise with you for getting a fine for a trip last year. There should be a month window to get any fines sent out after the incident and anything after that should be wiped clean. But we’re not in an ideal world.
I’d be very surprised if you get anywhere with contesting this fine.
It’s been well documented on here before about similar fines regarding the Go Box from people who veered onto a motorway without knowing to people who didn’t return their box or didn’t have enough funds on it.
The website has a route calculator on it and you can select your vehicle type and route and it calculates how much funds you need to put on your go box.
It also states to put extra on just in case.
You can even do a web chat live with a human who will calculate you route cost and advise you what to do.
It even Tells you which service stations sell them and where you can return them to.
I travelled up from Italy via the Brenner Pass, collecting the go box at an Italian petrol station (given a demonstration of how it worked and receipt for the amount I had put on. The guy asked me my route and suggested the minimum I should put on it credit wise) and exited Austria via the Fussen Pass, returning the go box at the last petrol station before the German border.
On returning it, I was given receipts of how much I had used and how much balance was remaining that would be refunded within 7 days back onto my credit card.
By the time I had got home, they had refunded the remaining balance onto my credit card.
So for the sake of about €8 was it not worth adding another 20quid onto the original credit loading to ensure that you’d be within your credit?

As for buying a vignette instead of a go box, I’m surprised that this has been asked given what the OP has just received by way of fine for not being in credit to the tune of €8.
That just goes to show that they’ve zero tolerance.
We went through a manned toll on our route and he wanted to see whether we had a go box or a vignette.
Our van is a 5.2t tag so there’s no getting away with pulling the wool over eyes.
Question is, is it worth taking the risk and getting stopped and getting a big fine and the hassle/inconvenience?
Also, the go box belongs to them. You basically borrow it and load it with credit.
There are members on here who have been fined months after returning from Austria because they’ve not returned their go box or sent it and it was lost in the post.
We took the same route back from Italy, via the Fussen Pass int Germany.Bought the Go Box at the Austrain border services on entering, had a couple of weeks in Mayrhofen and then into Italy.I checked with the seller at the services( they were well used to others using the Brenner in and out of Austria) that I had enough credit to get to and from Italy via the Brenner. I had also checked on the website the amount of credit needed to do the journey and was fully aware of the 'beep'system so, as we returned along the Inn valley A12 m/way were very vigilant to ensure no issue.

As I said in the OP there were no extra beeps and we exited at Telfs Ost to go over the Fussen.That is why,some 7 months later, I was more than surprised to get a 240 E fine.There was no intention or reason to try to beat the system and, until yesterday, I wasn't aware that I had.

Love Austria, visted for years but 1st time with MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
When in Austria or transiting through on route to Italy, we just set the sat nag to avoid motorway tolls, not had a problem so far.

Pete
I think someone put a thread on here a while ago saying he didn't buy a go box and avoided tolls roads until he unfortunately came to roadworks which diverted him onto a toll road with no other option. He explained it to police who stopped him, apparently they found it funny and he still got fined.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
He has previous on this issue.
Many of that generation still think the rest of Europe is a different country.

When do you think England will rejoin the EU ?

I hope never, but the way things are going with negotiations and the virus distraction probably on Dec 31st. 2020.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We took the same route back from Italy, via the Fussen Pass int Germany.Bought the Go Box at the Austrain border services on entering, had a couple of weeks in Mayrhofen and then into Italy.I checked with the seller at the services( they were well used to others using the Brenner in and out of Austria) that I had enough credit to get to and from Italy via the Brenner. I had also checked on the website the amount of credit needed to do the journey and was fully aware of the 'beep'system so, as we returned along the Inn valley A12 m/way were very vigilant to ensure no issue.

As I said in the OP there were no extra beeps and we exited at Telfs Ost to go over the Fussen.That is why,some 7 months later, I was more than surprised to get a 240 E fine.There was no intention or reason to try to beat the system and, until yesterday, I wasn't aware that I had.

Love Austria, visted for years but 1st time with MH.
I've never said that you have tried to beat the system - others have made suggestions on this post about buying a vignette instead of a Go box and my reply was referring to them and pointing out that if they're willing to pursue a fine for about EUR8 is it really worth the risk of getting stopped with an incorrect toll document that they've bought on purpose.
What I have said is that I can't understand why you haven't overloaded your go box with credit when you can claim the unused credit back as a refund upon returning your go box.
For the sake of adding on an extra 20quid, it would have saved this hassle plus you'd have got the £12 unused remaining balance back.
If you've done your homework prior to travelling and have kept a record of it, my suggestion would be to visit the ASFINAG website and go onto the live web chat and get them to compare the data on your go box and fine against your calculations from doing your homework prior to travelling and see exactly where the EUR8 difference comes from. Then decide whether to contest it or pay it. Ignoring it is an option but you'll run the risk of potentially having your vehicle impounded and a heavier fine if you ever go through Austria in your vehicle again.

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I've never said that you have tried to beat the system - others have made suggestions on this post about buying a vignette instead of a Go box and my reply was referring to them and pointing out that if they're willing to pursue a fine for about EUR8 is it really worth the risk of getting stopped with an incorrect toll document that they've bought on purpose.
What I have said is that I can't understand why you haven't overloaded your go box with credit when you can claim the unused credit back as a refund upon returning your go box.
For the sake of adding on an extra 20quid, it would have saved this hassle plus you'd have got the £12 unused remaining balance back.
If you've done your homework prior to travelling and have kept a record of it, my suggestion would be to visit the ASFINAG website and go onto the live web chat and get them to compare the data on your go box and fine against your calculations from doing your homework prior to travelling and see exactly where the EUR8 difference comes from. Then decide whether to contest it or pay it. Ignoring it is an option but you'll run the risk of potentially having your vehicle impounded and a heavier fine if you ever go through Austria in your vehicle again.
I wasn't saying you had inferred that i was trying to beat the system. Like you I was making the general point about paying my way as opposed to trying to get round it.

I had calculated what was needed, I checked on purchase with the seller at the border near Kufstein on entry too and was , so I thought, covered.I have appealed and see what comes back

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
We have never visited Austria in the motorhome and some of stories on here regarding Motorways and GoBoxes don’t make it sound too inviting.

We would like to go and see the scenery and way of life there, so three basic questions......

1. Is a GoBox necessary for a m/h under 3500kls?

2. Is a GoBox only required if you use Motorways, or for any road?

3. If it is only required for Motorways how easy is it avoid them? We normally only use Motorways to “get there”, and like to use more minor roads when touring an area.

Thank you, in advance to those who are experienced in the mysterious ways of the Austrians (y)

There's a link here that explains it all

I normally head for Slovenia with a stop to visit friends in Zell am See - you can get to Zell without using the toll roads, but the cost for Mohos under 3500kg is so cheap, I get one from a service area in Germany near the border to save any hassle

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Nasher
Thanks for the info.

After the present restrictions have passed we will add Austria to our “catch up” list.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I'll speak up for Austria!!!

Over 3.5t you need a Go-Box for the autobahn.
As I ski each year in Austria I stick to the autobahn - even they can be interesting some years.

To get a Go-Box, the service stations are very well signposted e.g. coming South in Germany.
You need at least €100 for the box - that would just about get you from Salzburg to Bregenz.
The box will double ping once you are down to €30 and you have ?50km to pay on the box at the next service station.
You do need proof of emission class ( 3-6) to get the better price. No emission class, you are charged the highest. You don't have to prove euro status, you'd just be charged the maximum.
It all worked well for me until I changed reg number to a personalised plate.
2019 season I failed to re-confirm my euro 6 status (it was the same vehicle) and they chased me for €240.

Now, here's my support for them:
You can phone them and speak English (how many Dartford Tunnel operators speak German?)
I e-mailed them my apology and pointed out I love Austria and would hate my holidays there to be tainted.
They said I had to prove euro status next visit and I was not fined.

So this year I proved Euro status at a service station. The VERY nice English speaking German pointed out that he had an official remark about me on his computer and all was well once he'd seen my euro status. He actually blamed my 'boss"!

Please don't be put off Austria it really is one of the cleanest, friendliest and most beautiful country - and the beer is awesome.

Sevos!

OP
OP
On the road again
Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I'll speak up for Austria!!!

Over 3.5t you need a Go-Box for the autobahn.
As I ski each year in Austria I stick to the autobahn - even they can be interesting some years.

To get a Go-Box, the service stations are very well signposted e.g. coming South in Germany.
You need at least €100 for the box - that would just about get you from Salzburg to Bregenz.
The box will double ping once you are down to €30 and you have ?50km to pay on the box at the next service station.

Going on my experience in August/Sep last year I would dispute the 100E minimum and the beeping at 30E .I bought my Go Box at Kufstien and had checked what credit I needed for my route and, after checking with the seller at Kufstein, paid 80E which I was told would cover my route.

Based on the beeping at 30E mine should have activated somwhere on the Brenner on my return journey. It didn't.Indeed , checking on the ASFINAG website my total charge, from entering on the Italian /Aus border on the Brenner, to exiting at Telfs Ost should be 30.88E ( based on this year's prices) This would have meant it beeping continuously virtually from re-entering Austria until leaving the m/way at Telfs.

I also love Austria, I am not trying to'attack' Austria. My OP was to ask for help and advice from others' experiences and, hopefully, from what you and many others have posted, I can appeal successfully as there seems to be some error . I don't think it is to do with proving the Euro 6 classification as I still have the email from them confirming they were happy with that.

However, based on your experience, I will call them as my email to them might just get a standard response.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone signed up for GO Direkt? If I've understood it correctly you can either be invoiced monthly in arrears "GO Direct SMART" with payment via direct debit if you have a € account, or via bank transfer (using a service like Transferwise) if you don't. Or "GO Direkt SIMPLE" which is pay in advance, but still comes with the online portal and the blurb seems to suggest that you can top up online "You no longer need to drive to GO points of sale in order to load up credit" which could be useful.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
What judge ? A German judge ? The European Court For Justice that Barnier insists has ultimate jurisdiction over a sovereign country such an England. Good job we’ve left....

Just so you know:
Yes a German 'Judge'

As this was a small claims court (original amount was under €10k ) the Judge would have been the equivalent of a UK Justice of the Peace, not a full high court judge.
A Judge (UK or German) has (and still has, by the way) the ability to order things to be done within the EU and the UK.

Before you come back with your "thank goodness we have left the EU ..." rant just keep in mind what English (not UK or EU) Judges do this all day every day. They pass judgement on all manner of disputes globally, where neither side has any foothold at all in the UK or the EU.
Not only Russian vs Russian Divorces, inter-Indian commercial disputes, English law is also the basis for all maritime law, so for example; a collision off Africa between a Liberian flagged ship owned in Japan and a Panamanian flagged ship owned in Brazil would be resolved by a Judge in London.

Law is global. A German judge can fine you, and enforce the fine exactly the same as a Judge in your local town.

Last edited:

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Just so you know:
Yes a German 'Judge'

As this was a small claims court (original amount was under €10k ) the Judge would have been the equivalent of a UK Justice of the Peace, not a full high court judge.
A Judge (UK or German) has (and still has, by the way) the ability to order things to be done within the EU and the UK.

Before you come back with your "thank goodness we have left the EU ..." rant just keep in mind what English (not UK or EU) Judges do this all day every day. They pass judgement on all manner of disputes globally, where neither side has any foothold at all in the UK or the EU.
Not only Russian vs Russian Divorces, inter-Indian commercial disputes, English law is also the basis for all maritime law, so for example; a collision off Africa between a Liberian flagged ship owned in Japan and a Panamanian flagged ship owned in Brazil would be resolved by a Judge in London.

Law is global. A German judge can fine you, and enforce the fine exactly the same as a Judge in your local town.
That’s Bol*ocks...just a way for Remoaners (I notice your avatar flag...you should change it because it is a big red flashing beacon saying “I’m a Remoaner and it doesn't matter want people say I will not accept it ) to try to perpetrate the myth that by leaving the EU makes no difference.

A German judge can pass judgement but the ultimate arbiter is the UK Supreme Court if one wishes to take it that far.

Prior to the UK leaving the EU (which incidentally it already has even though some people STILL seem to think hasn’t happened 🙄 ) it was the European Court of Justice which is exactly what Monsieur Michele Barnier is trying to enforce in a post transition deal. Let’s hope he doesn’t succeed.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
It's just the same with the law. A lot rant about protesters breaking the law how youngsters disrespect the law but then go on about how they try to illegally avoid tolls abroad get fines but avoid paying them and hate speed cameras!!! . It seems laws are there to advise people and if they know better it's ok to ignore them.
Far more violence has been done in obeying the law than in breaking it

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
That’s Bol*ocks...just a way for Remoaners (I notice your avatar flag...you should change it because it is a big red flashing beacon saying “I’m a Remoaner and it doesn't matter want people say I will not accept it ) to try to perpetrate the myth that by leaving the EU makes no difference.

A German judge can pass judgement but the ultimate arbiter is the UK Supreme Court if one wishes to take it that far.

Prior to the UK leaving the EU (which incidentally it already has even though some people STILL seem to think hasn’t happened 🙄 ) it was the European Court of Justice which is exactly what Monsieur Michele Barnier is trying to enforce in a post transition deal. Let’s hope he doesn’t succeed.

I’m planning a trip to Austria and I’m finding the information helpful. However, you really need to do a ‘fact check’. (y)

Back on topic please?;)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I’m planning a trip to Austria and I’m finding the information helpful. However, you really need to do a ‘fact check’. (y)

Back on topic please?;)
I do...I check the facts with Brains and he tells me they’re wrong ☹️ so then I know they’re true...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That’s Bol*ocks...just a way for Remoaners (I notice your avatar flag...you should change it because it is a big red flashing beacon saying “I’m a Remoaner and it doesn't matter want people say I will not accept it )

You've been here long enough to know we don't talk to each other like that here. Please apologise. Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
No.
I simply bought a Vignette sticker at the first service station into Austria for the German hire car I was driving last Xmas.
They never even asked for the number plate!
You stick it in the window and it's read by the cameras
It cost €9 and lasts 14 days

My thought is, if it's that simple how can they tell the difference between a UK registered van that is registered at 3.5t vs one that is registered at 3.8t
However a cross check on the ANPR would answer the question, which then brings up the next question, is would they bother, I suspect knowing the Austrians is yes they would.

Johnny Foreigner taking the piss seems to wind up right wing governments.
politics and brexit in one thread well done

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Austria is a great country so don’t be put off by motorway tolls, simply avoid motorways.
We did three weeks there last year without motorway usage.
No tolls & easy to do in our 5t rohill ducato conversion. Lovely people & campsites with some of the cheapest fees & best swimming pools.

we got a speeding ticket in Germany on the same trip (14e for going 7km over 30km in a slow zone) & paid it via bank transfer.

as a rule we do not use toll roads or motorways. Sat nav is programmed accordingly & we are in no hurry.

if my memory serves me we had to buy a vinyette in roumania(?) as it was needed for any road. I think it was 10e or so for 10 days.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Me I'm afraid as I live there.

I used to work there back in the early 70's at Mount Hope Machinery, but remember it more for the motorcycle shops

Schwieso & PAJ's on Lowfield street

E C Bates & May's Two Stroke on West Hill

I also seem to remember some great pubs

It's probably changed a lot in the past 50 years

Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
When I purchased a go box last year you are given a receipt with a fax number on it and you have to send documents to prove what euro engine and weigh of vehicle you are in. If you don’t send by the date on the receipt you are sent a fine. As far as I am aware they will ask what weight you vehicle is when you purchase a vignette, police are everywhere in Austria so not worth trying to save a few euros. Polish friend was fined €350 for not conforming so be careful

terminal15

Free Member
Sep 5, 2018
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 601K PVC
Exp
Since 2018 with over 30k miles already...!
Out of interest, it there any checking on weight ?
My Mercedes Sprinter based motorhome comes as 3,500kg, 3850kg (mine), and a 4,000kg
There is simply a paper exercise to select the weight, there is no difference physically.
I was driving through Austria late at night last summer and the road was narrowed by cones, with all non cars told to head off to a weigh bridge!! So I reckon there are spot checks. I decided to stay in the car lane and so can't tell you what happened at the weigh bridge :cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Five years ago I got a go-box.. Thought it worth loading it up so put 90€ on it..
Five years later it is still sitting in the glove box ( goes on the dash when in Austria ) but we have never once heard it beep
The first year we actively listened for it but nowt..
I should thing the battery ( if it has a battery ? ) is as flat as flounder by now...
Either way, every time we go to Austria is placed back on the dash :)

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I had pay as you go Austrian go box, tied into the company fuel card, die on me whilst I was driving a coach.
I went to the next available fuel station and the attendant set me up with another registered to the vehicle.
When he gave me the receipt the vehicle details were all correct, except that the registered owner was a totally different company; a company with no connection whatsoever with my employer.

Pauli365

Free Member
Jun 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
In the market
Exp
New
🙄...thank God we’ve left the EU so it will hopefully put us back into control of our own citizens and stop the British public funding French Autoroutes.....they don’t fund ours !

Errr, actually the EU did give a substantial fund to the UK road system, as they did for most of Europe, with the exception of France, as their road system is funded by tolls and the tax on fuel.

Exactly. Yet another uninformed Brexiteer myth. Those pesky Europeans nivir gave us nuthin!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back