Are CAMC finally getting the message (3 Viewers)

Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Think you get free membership CAMC for 50 unbroken years? Hope you are still a member🌝
Thanks scoge. I am still a member but had a boat for a while in the 1980’s and dont think I was a member then. My 50 years will be in 2025 so I shall no doubt find out then. I doubt I’ll be motorhoming then as I’m now finding out how everything goes up considerably in price once you reach 80 years!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
“Use your own facilities to enhance our profits"

So how would that increase their profits ?
Facilities block will still be cleaned every day
The savings across network for just heating the toilet blocks would be huge just as an example

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The toilet blocks would still have to be heated for the few who don’t have their own facilities sono saving there.

I am happy to pay a lot less for not using the facilities and often choose campsites without them.

I don’t like paying for things I don’t use and a second person.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
The toilet blocks would still have to be heated for the few who don’t have their own facilities sono saving there.

I am happy to pay a lot less for not using the facilities and often choose campsites without them.

I don’t like paying for things I don’t use and a second person.
And of course there's the savings on toilet paper !!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Enough folk voting at the AGM could change the situation but apathy probably rules!
Or, perhaps, the majority of members are relaxed about the direction the entity is going?
Or the AGM is filled from people from the local centres who mostly seem happy. It's all a bit nuts -> for our centre we tried to attend a Rally to get our point across, but the rally allowing that was er, filled by people pre-booking with slips start of year. Not all of us are retired, or can pre-plan even a month ahead. Hell thats why we have motorhomes so we can make it up a few days before the weekend... and not a caravan. There is a very caravan mindset in the CAMC around here (even though a lot of them now have motorhomes).

I'm not saying it's wrong but it is a bit echo chambery -> and the continued reliance on blaming gas and electricty prices for their price increases is a bit stale now. Offer some no-electricity pitches in more places and watch all of us move off-grid.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Or the AGM is filled from people from the local centres who mostly seem happy. It's all a bit nuts -> for our centre we tried to attend a Rally to get our point across, but the rally allowing that was er, filled by people pre-booking with slips start of year. Not all of us are retired, or can pre-plan even a month ahead. Hell thats why we have motorhomes so we can make it up a few days before the weekend... and not a caravan. There is a very caravan mindset in the CAMC around here (even though a lot of them now have motorhomes).

I'm not saying it's wrong but it is a bit echo chambery -> and the continued reliance on blaming gas and electricty prices for their price increases is a bit stale now. Offer some no-electricity pitches in more places and watch all of us move off-grid.
Change EHUs to 6 or 10 amp, limit what you can run, and watch the power usage drop through the floor. Use the savings to reduce site prices to a reasonable level.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have just spent three nights at the Daleswood commercial site where there was an option to use electric or not. You logged on to a site and bought units of electricity if you wanted it. We bought 15 units for £5.25 and at the end of our stay we had used all but 1.47 units which is the equivalent of about £1 which we had to forfeit. However if we had more than £2 left we would have had a full refund of the leftover amount. Even so I don't think just over a fiver is bad for three nights and if you didn't want any it cost you nothing. We had three nights for the price of two which cost us £52 plus any electric used. Another thing about the site is that caravans are not permitted due to planning restrictions so it's m/homes and tents only.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Good job I look on here, had the free voucher email but binned it without reading 😂 Recovered it just in case but so far all next years bookings are with independent sites as no CMC sites where we wanted to go. I also completed the survey and laid out why not booked for next year. Not sure they will take any notice though

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Haven’t had the survey!

In 10 years I’ve never had a voucher, survey or any such thing from CAMC. I wonder what criteria they use to give you this stuff?

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
everything that has been said is all true, but why has caravan and camping club escaped everyone's wrath ? I gave that bunch the heave ho years ago as i was sick of the " follow me and park there " attitude - freindly my arse , it felt like a school for naughty boys.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
for those who say that will retain memberships to use CL's - it has been stated before that if you ring up the CL you will find they dont actually mind if your a member or not. Money is money :)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Are you SURE you've got the right club??;)

im talking about "the freindly club" caravan and camping club - i have a brother in law who owned a cacc site in somerset, he had 2 strokes and a heart attack running that place.. he was forced by the club rules to walk people to the ALLOCATED pitch and have them park precisely on a mark, not allowed to have wifi ( he installed it himself later) many years ago the regime was so oppressive on one site i had a rabid member of staff charge across the field as i was cleaning my windscreen using water.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Are you SURE you've got the right club??;)
Never heard of the Caravan & Camping Club, but the Camping & Caravan clubs nothing like that IMO. 😄

Edit: Sorry to hear about your BIL and yes, there was a couple of strict managers (ex military I believe) in the Club years ago but they have long gone.

I have been associated with the club for 40+yrs, winter site sitting and helping out wardens etc. and there has been many changes in the past few years and, like everything else, it's still not perfect but, value for money, compared to the CAMHC (especially for the single older person with choice of EHU, hard or grass pitch and OAP discount) it's a no brainer.
+ A number of the two Club sites are right next door to each other (Sandringham, Morton in Dorset and West Runton in North Norfolk to name but 3)

Last edited:
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I phoned up for ferry price and asked whether it would cost me more on the phone or online he said it's £ 15 extra booking on phone , as a Member I said you ought to be called the Greedy Club and put phone down

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I phoned up for ferry price and asked whether it would cost me more on the phone or online he said it's £ 15 extra booking on phone , as a Member I said you ought to be called the Greedy Club and put phone down
You did the right thing, I have ALWAYS found it cheaper to contact the ferry company direct, THEN call the club's and they have matched it! 🤔
I belong to both by the way!

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Stayed at Tewkesbury CMC site last week for a night. Lovely site and easy access to the town and Abbey. Bit prone to flooding though as we found out the next morning after storm Cieran.
Anyhow what made me smile was the parking between marker posts on non awning pitches. They were all placed to the right hand side of the pitches when facing in, which meant when you reversed in with a motorhome there was loads of space to the right but you were stepping out of the Hab door onto muddy grass?? Unless of course your Hab door was on the other side which most UK motorhomes aren’t.
I raised this with the warden who stated that the pitches were mainly designed for caravans so that the car could be parked the other side. When I asked why the posts couldn’t be on the left and the car could be parked on the right hence you could step out of the door onto hardstanding and easy access to the car if you were in a caravan he shrugged and said they always do it that way?? But you have to park between the posts for H&S and fire safety!
I could of course have driven in and had the space to my left but is that not another H&S problem reversing out into a road?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Stayed at Tewkesbury CMC site last week for a night. Lovely site and easy access to the town and Abbey. Bit prone to flooding though as we found out the next morning after storm Cieran.
Anyhow what made me smile was the parking between marker posts on non awning pitches. They were all placed to the right hand side of the pitches when facing in, which meant when you reversed in with a motorhome there was loads of space to the right but you were stepping out of the Hab door onto muddy grass?? Unless of course your Hab door was on the other side which most UK motorhomes aren’t.
I raised this with the warden who stated that the pitches were mainly designed for caravans so that the car could be parked the other side. When I asked why the posts couldn’t be on the left and the car could be parked on the right hence you could step out of the door onto hardstanding and easy access to the car if you were in a caravan he shrugged and said they always do it that way?? But you have to park between the posts for H&S and fire safety!
I don't understand this obsession about posts and, as I said, I belong to both clubs, but lately on CCC sites when I ask on grass pitches, "where would you like me?" I have been told "as long as you're within you pitch boundaries and 6metres away from next door, it doesn't matter!"

(By the way, I have a letter from the CMHC boss that states that MH units can be front or reversed in despite which side the hab door is on.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back