LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
buttons your spreading doom and gloom quicker than this virus ! It will run it's course and needs no assistance from doom merchants.
Up until last night I was firmly in the camp of nothing too much to worry about here.
The figures being quoted about deaths averaging out at 1% but decreasing with age made me feel relatively confident and this was based against flu (real flu not the day off flu)
But one of my guys at work used to be a virologist til 4 years ago and i was chatting to him last night and he was quoting the spanish flu off the top of his head with 20 million deaths which equated to 73 million today because of higher population.
He was then pointing out the Dow Jones and FTSE drops and went on to explain how the virus works and could mutate and backed this up with the recent news of Tenerife then offered to show me some prediction graphs of growth which have had loads of analysis thrown into them and the outlook doesnt look good in China.
Far too early for figures to have a bearing on deaths in Europe but it certainly looks as if it has started to come to Europe.
I am supposed to be away towards the end of April and if i can travel to Grenoble or Dordogne I will, but I am beginning to think about travel bans for the way back in the middle of May and the possibility of the University being on shut down (we have a large Chinese and international contingent) and we have Easter turning up where they go home and return in about a months time.
I m not so concerned about the risk of death from it but i now think it is quite likely to be going to have an effect at work and travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My son-in-law sent me a reasoning for his stocking up. He used to work for BP and said that they had research that showed that the magic number is if 10% of the workforce didn't show up then services and utilities would start to see a severe impact with power, gas and water being affected if it continues for a while. He is off to Costco today to implement his plans.
Myself, I’m not a stocker up and have never been of a mind to panic buy but its ok as now I know where to go for my supplies, they are only round the corner and I have a key! (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Up until last night I was firmly in the camp of nothing too much to worry about here.
The figures being quoted about deaths averaging out at 1% but decreasing with age made me feel relatively confident and this was based against flu (real flu not the day off flu)
But one of my guys at work used to be a virologist til 4 years ago and i was chatting to him last night and he was quoting the spanish flu off the top of his head with 20 million deaths which equated to 73 million today because of higher population.
He was then pointing out the Dow Jones and FTSE drops and went on to explain how the virus works and could mutate and backed this up with the recent news of Tenerife then offered to show me some prediction graphs of growth which have had loads of analysis thrown into them and the outlook doesnt look good in China.
Far too early for figures to have a bearing on deaths in Europe but it certainly looks as if it has started to come to Europe.
I am supposed to be away towards the end of April and if i can travel to Grenoble or Dordogne I will, but I am beginning to think about travel bans for the way back in the middle of May and the possibility of the University being on shut down (we have a large Chinese and international contingent) and we have Easter turning up where they go home and return in about a months time.
I m not so concerned about the risk of death from it but i now think it is quite likely to be going to have an effect at work and travel.
I started to worry when I saw an early report saying it was as easy to spread as the common cold but with a 2% death rate when most flu is 0.05%

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Love the brand names! Not much to change to Pistasa and Hops in brew, it does what it says on the bottle Proust !

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Love the brand names! Not much to change to Pistasa and Hops in brew, it does what it says on the bottle Proust !
Prago! The Hops have been consumed and we are now working on the Pissy Tart. 2 litres are a lot for 2 but we shall try our best in the name of Queen and Country. ( I mean Elizabeth ofcourse, not Prince Edward).

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I would say it appears seriousness is age related. If in doubt or you have underlying pulmonary conditions I'd certainly avoid crowds! Typically I'm heading to Spain next week (and will not cancel) so that will be the next place to have a lockdown :cautious:

I'm already in southern Spain on a beach side campsite. Here the climate is dry and warm and I'm tempted to stay indefinitely. The thought of going back to a cold, damp crowded UK doesn't seem the sensible thing to do. They have hospitals here too, so why not stay in Spain?

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
There are two cases in my cousin‘s village. She is in self isolation, because both of her children have have pnemonia (yes, definitely. The younger one’s infection pre-dates CV in the region in any case). Needs sensible precautions, but no panic (not even Italian style)

I don’t see why food delivery should be an issue. They could just leave it on the doorstep for you, and you come out and get it once they are clear. They wouldn’t need to touch anything, and could easily hand sanitise before getting back into the vehicle anyway. If I am not home for my Ocado order, they phone me, and will leave it for me if I ask them too in the normal course of things.

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Listening to a New York doctor on the radio last night, she made some frightening statements with regard to how serious this virus can be. Death normally occurs through the lungs not functioning. This can happen to anyone but preexisting conditions will make complications more likely.
It is not looking good anywhere throughout the world. UK schools are now closed following the return of pupils from skiing holidays in Italy. Hundreds of holiday makers returning to the UK from Tenerife where an Italian tourist put his hotel on lock down. The Rugby Italy game cancelled. Our local hospital now has six isolation pods with new signage going up around the hospital. Lastly in countries like Iran the virus appears to be out of control. Is it now time to readdress our own plans for travel this summer or just walk blindly on as if nothing has changed.

Finally, if you are self employed or on short term work contracts without any sign of sick pay, Are you going to self quarantine yourself at home and let the family starve or chance going to work and spreading the virus with everyone you meet... Any thoughts?
I'm in tenerife at the moment (not motorhoming) on the South side, the main area affected here are the big torrist areas of playas de americas, we've seen a few people athe Airport with masks, and a couple Of locals despite the masks not preventing it, they're used for people With the virus to not spread to Others, but they're not worried about it here despite the outbreak in a large hotel. I think providing you wash your hands and watch your hygiene of cutlery in tourist areas you'll be fine

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Never mind abroad. CV has hit the town daughter works in. I have to pass to get to work. Its about 5 miles from home.
I dont know whether jim has to put a mask over my avatar or not

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Are you confident that Greece wont also be on lockdown in two months time..
Thousands of possibly infected migrants released by Turkey are currently heading for Greece (or any other EU country they can get into) it's going to be a meltdown.

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
I never worry about anything that I can't control.
This keeps my life happy and simple.
I love life but death does not scare or worry me at all as it will come to me one day and when it does I will not know anything about it as I will be dead.
Enjoy yourselves and don't worry about the corona virus as some of us will unfortunately be dead before it comes to you anyway.:smiley:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
The best thing you can do to protect others and prevent spread is to wash your hands. But the best thing you can do to prevent yourself becoming infected (and this goes for many viruses, so is good practice) is NEVER TO TOUCH YOUR FACE. Or your food, unless you have just washed you hands. Gloves and masks do help a little, not because they actually prevent infection themselves, but because they raise your awareness and stop you touching your face and transferring the virus into your body via your eyes or mouth. It can’t infect you on your hands (although it will spread) Antibac is not more effective as soap and water, if used properly, but most people don’t and there are places where you can’t, so it’s more effective than usual lackadaisical handwashing or none.

don’t touch your face and eat the odd vegetable. There are worse mantras to life by. It’s cheaper than stocking up on undrinkable alcohol, too.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015

Thousands of possibly infected migrants released by Turkey are currently heading for Greece (or any other EU country they can get into) it's going to be a meltdown.

I object to this comment - on the grounds it is unfounded, wrong and overtly racist.

"Thousands of possibly infected migrants" is a blatant dog whistle and I feel compelled to call it out.

Covid19 is going to spread amongst all of us just like a cold or the flu does. It has nothing to do with nationality or economic status. It is ill-informed comments like yours that contribute to events like that innocent Singaporean guy getting his head kicked in on Oxford Street in London last week by a group of thugs chanting "we don't want your coronavirus in our country". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51736755

If you want to be factual about the current risk in the EU, then it is coming from people with the economic capital to travel on exotic foreign holidays, business trips and Italian skiing trips.

But it is inevitable that most of us will be infected in the next 6 months (40/50% is an intelligent estimate, and 80% is the government's reasonable worst case).

The less we do to scaremonger and sow division, and the more we do to sensibly plan for the social and economic disruption that will accompany the outbreak, the better.

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Do you actually spend a second thinking before you post this rubbish? Or do you just enjoy the opportunity to keep repeating the same racist tropes?

Either way it is highly offensive.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I object to this comment - on the grounds it is unfounded, wrong and overtly racist.

"Thousands of possibly infected migrants" is a blatant dog whistle and I feel compelled to call it out.

Covid19 is going to spread amongst all of us just like a cold or the flu does. It has nothing to do with nationality or economic status. It is ill-informed comments like yours that contribute to events like that innocent Singaporean guy getting his head kicked in on Oxford Street in London last week by a group of thugs chanting "we don't want your coronavirus in our country". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51736755

If you want to be factual about the current risk in the EU, then it is coming from people with the economic capital to travel on exotic foreign holidays, business trips and Italian skiing trips.

But it is inevitable that most of us will be infected in the next 6 months (40/50% is an intelligent estimate, and 80% is the government's reasonable worst case).

The less we do to scaremonger and sow division, and the more we do to sensibly plan for the social and economic disruption that will accompany the outbreak, the better.
So you think they are all disease free ??? That is impossible. If they try to enter the EU and UK without proper authorisation then they are criminals. Undocumented migrants moving around on public transport is a prime source of Infection. There many of them doing this in Europe, I have spent months on public transport across Europe, I have seen them. I saw one fare dodger arrested in Vienna in front of me, he had no papers and was deemed to be illegal.

Illegals will not seek medical help in many cases, keeping the infection under the authorities radar and until it's to late.

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
What on earth does this mean?
Dog-whistle politics is political messaging employing coded language that appears to mean one thing to the population of the general public at large while also simultaneously having an additional, different, or more specific resonance for a targeted subgroup. The analogy is to a dog whistle, whose ultrasonic tone is heard by dogs but inaudible to humans. Wiki

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Dog-whistle politics is political messaging employing coded language that appears to mean one thing to the population of the general public at large while also simultaneously having an additional, different, or more specific resonance for a targeted subgroup. The analogy is to a dog whistle, whose ultrasonic tone is heard by dogs but inaudible to humans. Wiki
I am glad you think I am capable of such a clever tactic :moon2:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So we contain the outbreak but end up with up to 3 million economic migrants,illegal criminals ? No thanks . better for the Greeks or anyone to stop the problem at the Turkish border-

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Now that is funny, what a load, of absolute nonsense, why not say what's meant.. coded messages, honestly!

Do people really believe this tripe?

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Just a guess but does it translate to Piss Head Red for the wine and Horse piss for the beer/larger?
Unfortunately the more I drink of it the more I think you may be on to something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back