ANY ONE GOT AN ih motorhome are you happy with it (2 Viewers)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi, Gromit, I’m on my 4th so please feel free to ask away. You can see my reflections on the first few months with our new one on a previous thread.

Twos company

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2008
Boroughbridge
Funster No
MH
VW transporter
Exp
25+
I’m on my 3rd didn’t like my 630sl model but love our 600rl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GROMIT69
Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
Hi thanks for your replies, we are looking at the N630 RL , and would be interested in any of your comments good and bad , we are changing from a 7mtr coach built

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We love ours. Just returned from 6 weeks in france. perfect 640 RL. Build quality is second to none. only thing we can fault it on is the fact they don't fit a J rail as standard under the awning to take away the rain. barmey.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 630RL and have a fair few issues with it. IH have so far been great in sorting out the warranty work so still happy with the van. :)

A couple of comments I would make is that u will get very little IH literature on the van. You will get all the books for windows, cooker and toilet etc but nothing from IH.

It is a bit of a pain if u have the odd electrical problem and have no wiring diagram. :(

If you buy it from their southern area dealer - check everything works - check for hidden damage ie: remove all the carpets etc

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We also have an N630RL having previously had a 630RL for 4 years.Neither is better or worse than the other, just different priorities. The N class feels more like a mini a class Motorhome, more room at the entrance, sealed panel warmer in cool climes, nice front lounge, but misses out on wide open door on beautiful sunny days!

We buy Ih’s because,
Fabulous design from Ian Hartley
Great build quality, everything integrated and just right
Amazing after sales support, you speak to people who build your van
Huge choice of spec, at a price though!
Van is individual, not mass produced
Ian builds to a quality not down to a price
Lounge kitchen and storage all superb, rear boot v useful

Not so goods
Bathroom and shower usable but not spacious, ask for roof vent to clear steam, we use shower all the time
Watch your weights, easy to use up payload, ours on a 4200 heavy chassis
Some of interior door choices a bit brash for us, but plenty choice
Tanks not huge, need refilling regularly

Remember to ask for things you want, extra sockets just where you want them, spotlights in the cab, small table for front lounge, inverter etc etc,.
Speak with Mark from AMS, he does all extras, sat, stereos, satnav hearted sears etc etc

We have gone for a huge spec this time, easy to get carried away!!

Hope this is helpful

Bill

Feel free to Pm me if you need more info.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
There are no dealers now, only the factory, they stopped because of quality issues and after sales. If you are buying now you will probably deal with Nicola Hartley, Ian’s wife who does sales, a really lovely person.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
There are no dealers now, only the factory, they stopped because of quality issues and after sales. If you are buying now you will probably deal with Nicola Hartley, Ian’s wife who does sales, a really lovely person.

In my humble opinion - a good move on IH's part.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We looked at all the pvc conversions. Decided that we liked ih the best. The rear lounge ticked our boxes. But we weren't happy with a few things, and wanted sturdier fixtures and fittings , better insulation , etc.
So Ralph decided to build Pug.
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
Pug is built to our demanding spec. Everything in it that we want and nothing that we don't.
But if we were going to buy a ready made van , ih would be it.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Passed IH yesterday, they seem to have loads of different makes parked up, there was a huge A class Concorde in their yard too, surely no one has traded that in for one?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have the 630RL and love it . Recently took it to the weighbrudge fully loaded including 2 electric bikes and it was just over the 3500kg so payload might be an issue re extras. We have a solar panel and awning. They are really nice people to deal with .we bought ours from Nick Whale and they were dreadful but gave up on them and dealt direct with IH and got things sorted. As someone else has said, they no longer sell through dealers.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have the 630RL and love it . Recently took it to the weighbrudge fully loaded including 2 electric bikes and it was just over the 3500kg so payload might be an issue re extras. We have a solar panel and awning. They are really nice people to deal with .we bought ours from Nick Whale and they were dreadful but gave up on them and dealt direct with IH and got things sorted. As someone else has said, they no longer sell through dealers.

Totally agree with that, we bought through them.

Nightmare - took all the pleasure out of buying the van.

Most of our issues - I suspect were caused by them.

harlaxmania

Free Member
Dec 28, 2017
Waddington, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2000
Hello there, just joined the forum and looking around, we bought a 630 RD last year and have been very happy with it, after sales is great. had a few minor snagging issues, sorted without question. The bathroom is great for drying clothes with heater outlet and roof fan, best drying room ever.

John

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hello there, just joined the forum and looking around, we bought a 630 RD last year and have been very happy with it, after sales is great. had a few minor snagging issues, sorted without question. The bathroom is great for drying clothes with heater outlet and roof fan, best drying room ever.

John
A42667A7-A1E3-4EE7-83F5-2C2520030DE0.jpeg
We have a 630 RL too and are happy with it despite some problems with aftersales service. Thankfully our supplying dealer, Southdown’s, willing to sort even though an installation fault.
Sorry just realised oldish thread asking for views.

May 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
IH
We are looking at a IH RIO RL 60 plate does anyone have, what do u think of it?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
I have never met a really unhappy owner of an IH. I am also in the owners club and go to rallies as well as knowing owners on here. Like any conversion, things can go wrong, sometimes from the converter but more often from third party fittings which are common on most conversions.
We love the RL layout for easy lounging and comfortable settee/beds. We are tall and the longitudinal beds suit us, we could not manage with transverse beds.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
nothing wrong with a transverse bed if your related to a garden Gnome :giggler:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are on our second IH630RD and love it. We still make up the enormous king sized bed. We are not tall but would hate a transverse bed, I’d be the one clambering over Nick to get out for a wee and I’m still agile.

The U shaped lounge is great.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Doubt you’ll regret it, we bought from new both times and we’re just too tight to pay for the fixed rear panel so have the double door version! We have given up pretending we like the barn doors and the option of leaving them open, no one believes us as I feel the cold.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've got an older 2008 Tio R, 6meter with the transverse be, raised floor and rear panel, absolutely love it - I'm 6ft and don't mind the bed layout at all, in fact I sleep better in the van than at home. Rear panel version makes a big difference in keeping it warm and making it feel more homely

Tonks68

Free Member
Mar 28, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Hopefully one day
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi all, has anyone any experience or currently own the IH transverse fixed bed layout. I’ve seen a video with one, but don’t seem to be a common IH layout.
I love the rear lounge but my wife has her heart set on a fixed bed.

OP
OP
GROMIT69
Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We have Nclass 630 RL changed from a 7.4 mtr coach built , best thing we ever did , the factory are great to deal with , not like dealers got your money don’t want to know anymore, saying that we have not had any problems with it and its five years old now

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, another vote for ih factory service - we bought ours privately and we popped in one day whilst passing on spec, they knew the van, took some time out to speak to us, give us some tips and advice about the van, which they really didn't have to

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
;)(y)We too would like to praise them up! Had a Savannah Tio with the half leather trim. Loved it to bits.
Carolyn wanted something bigger so it had to go....my loss trust me!

Kev

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think it’s worth saying that we did have problems with our second van, some Fiat and some IH right from new BUT John in after sales who took over from Carol was very good and kept going until everything was sorted. I think it’s what happens when something goes wrong that really tells you whether you’re dealing with a good company or not. We would buy from them again, very nice people. Just got to keep Nick away from that full 9 something or the other Automatic!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi all, has anyone any experience or currently own the IH transverse fixed bed layout. I’ve seen a video with one, but don’t seem to be a common IH layout.
I love the rear lounge but my wife has her heart set on a fixed bed.
Hi have the transverse on an older van, if I cannot be bothered to strip the bed I turn the seats and use the drop down tables for meals best of both worlds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back