Any body interested with the Oxford patriot Seat lock? (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Hi Kev,

I would like a couple too, if initial production runs to you having any spare. If not I'm sure we will be told where we can purchase from.

Thanks either way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not being negative - but given the cost... why do they not supply the washer?

Because the Patriot lock is designed and sold as a motorbike disc brake lock and we have utilised it for our use which requires the washer to stop an angle grinder getting to the pin.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Not being negative - but given the cost... why do they not supply the washer?
As Paul and Yvette have stated...It fits the Brake disc on the motor bike well. Retro fitting to the seat frame makes it accessible with a angle grinder so the 6mm washer allows for some movement but prevents the cutting disc getting to the spindle of the Patriot device itself

Regards Kev ;) (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They appear to make them with two different pin (shackle) lengths. Maybe the short version doesn't need a washer. Not that there's an issue with using one ::bigsmile: .

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I have this lock on my motorbike already and I will certainly investigate for this purpose. Unfortunately, handiwork is not my forte but very interesting. Thanks.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
What is the difference between long pin and short pin lengths?

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
What is the difference between long pin and short pin lengths?
The long pin is 75mm long

26ED6367-C4D4-456A-BA0E-BD5B51749060.jpeg

The short pin is.....shorter

23EB3735-C85D-4F68-BD24-3D7C8BC6CD4A.jpeg

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
As the guys above have mentioned..the shorter one ( I have this type) Is the one which would need the 6mm washer adding. If you go for the longer pin...add a couple of extra washers to suit.

Kev

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Thanks all. I have been trying to find the information myself. Honestly! I got to thinking everyone will have bought the standard pin length. Logical?

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Thanks all. I have been trying to find the information myself. Honestly! I got to thinking everyone will have bought the standard pin length. Logical?
Purchase the small pin length and then fit it as described by a few of us on here. You wont go wrong honestly.

All the best Kev ;) (y)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Some of the original threads on this subject

Welcome to the patriot club
Originally a joke i cracked.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Just like to say great stickers and service well done and thank you for doing them

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I like the idea of this lock and had never heard about them until reading this thread. How easy are they for an elderly female to fit!
Even if I don’t get the lock I would certainly be interested in the sticker.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I like the idea of this lock and had never heard about them until reading this thread. How easy are they for an elderly female to fit!
Even if I don’t get the lock I would certainly be interested in the sticker.

Not difficult at all.
Basically the drilling of one hole 14mm in diameter in the correct place on the base plate of your swivel seat when the seat is turned away from the driving position.

With you having a PVC I would first check under the drivers seat that you have access to allow fitting and removal of the locking pin which is 45mm in length as a lot of PVC's have the leisure battery and gubbins mounted under the drivers seat.

If you have access under your seat then I would suggest buying the Patriot short pin lock first as you can then use the lock to mark the position to drill the 14mm hole.
Don't worry if you do not have a drill bit that size as I can put up a link to one for less than 4 quid. You will need a drill with a half inch chuck to take the drill bit.
You will need another couple of drill bits as to go straight in with the 14mm will be hard work for you and your drill.
I would first use something around 3mm as a pilot drill to start with and then step up to something around 8mm and then onto the 14mm.

The 6mm thick washer used as a spacer again is cheap and easy to obtain and we can point you in the right direction to get one of those along with the cheapest place to buy the lock.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Follow what Paul and Yvette have mentioned above and you will be fine.
The other way is to use a "Man" and get one of those to do it for you! Save your energy and let some one else do the work.;)(y)
I have plenty of stickers if your seat can be turned /swivelled so just give me a pm when ready

Regards Kev

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Just a matter of interest...I have had some enquiries regarding the lock itself. Just to be sure ....You need to order the Oxford Patriot OF40. The 40 being the length of the spindle . It's the shorter one . The lock is available anywhere on internet so search and you will find one roughly at £40
The decals bit...thats the cheap bit! :giggle:(y)

Regards Kev

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Two on Tour and Kev and Carolyn: Thanks for the information, very helpful. Luckily the only thing under the drivers seat is a tray in which I carry some basic tools so it looks like this will fit. I do have a couple of electric drills and a reasonable selection of bits so think I can give this a go. Found the lock via a Google search for under £39 with free delivery so looks like it’s a go!
Kev & Carolyn - My ‘go to guy’ for van related DIY lives in the north east (Andy63) so it’s a bit far for a small job!!!
Thanks again for all the advice folks.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Two on Tour and Kev and Carolyn: Thanks for the information, very helpful. Luckily the only thing under the drivers seat is a tray in which I carry some basic tools so it looks like this will fit. I do have a couple of electric drills and a reasonable selection of bits so think I can give this a go. Found the lock via a Google search for under £39 with free delivery so looks like it’s a go!
Kev & Carolyn - My ‘go to guy’ for van related DIY lives in the north east (Andy63) so it’s a bit far for a small job!!!
Thanks again for all the advice folks.
Let us know how you get on, I just use a bike cable but wouldn't mind getting one of these but like you, not having a man around (although I do have a drill) thought I might not be strong enough :Grin::dance2:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Ginster - I’ve ordered the lock and it should be with me by Thursday. Will fit as soon as I’m able. (Going away for a couple of weeks)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back