Another newbie question ,what type of wheel levels / chocks ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
Big smile on my face today as first full day of campervan ownership [ or is it motorhome ?] Anyway being brand new to this I've already asked a question regarding hook up leads and now know what type to buy my next question is what type of wheel levels / chocks should I buy and why ? On ebay the prices vary but I know you tend to get what you pay for in life but I also know you often pay for the name with some products . I own a PVC so nothing huge. I don't know how long this lasts but I feel like a kid with a new toy today , definite spring in my step on this mornings dog walk.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Exiting times with a new MH. We have a PVC too and not much space. We have the three step fiamma ones and we do use them as we don't like being on the slant. It makes me feel drunk inside and the cupboard doors won't stay open!
Our current PVC is 6.3 m and up to the weight of 3500 and we have had no issues with these fiamma ones. Worth getting the carry case. They are now 10 years old.
These ones
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-kit-level-up-yellow.html

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
To an extent what you choose depends on how much room you have to store them. Probably the best available are the Milenco - but they're pretty bulky. I use the small Fiamma yellow ones which can't cope with more than a couple of inches but are easy to store.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
You shouldn't need very tall ones. Remember that if you cannot get level by using them on both front or both rear wheels, then turn the van side-on to the slope and use one on the front and the other on the rear wheel of the downhill side of the van ...... they have a much greater effect side-to-side than front to back.

Reactions: Pia

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I have Milenco ones for general use and a huge set of wooden ones when we need some proper lift ( think they give about a foot) and have on occasion had use one on top of the other .. Milenco are a bit bulky, but offer more lift.

OP
OP
T
Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
I think I'll hold fire on purchasing any for the time being as our van is only 6 metre long and storage will be an issue . Thanks for all the replies .

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I think I'll hold fire on purchasing any for the time being as our van is only 6 metre long and storage will be an issue . Thanks for all the replies .

Don't get me wrong, you need them , but you have to be realistic with what you need, most PVC / MH's do not sit level even on level ground, so you will have to 'level up' , but being 'off flat' is annoying , we were so far off last weekend that 10 inches side to side only just got us right .

Fiamma lightweights are a good start and half the size of the Milenco's , nothing ruins a weekend more than having stuff slide off the table.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Don't get me wrong, you need them , but you have to be realistic with what you need, most PVC / MH's do not sit level even on level ground, so you will have to 'level up' , but being 'off flat' is annoying , we were so far off last weekend that 10 inches side to side only just got us right .

Fiamma lightweights are a good start and half the size of the Milenco's , nothing ruins a weekend more than having stuff slide off the table.
especially if its a glass of shiraz:(

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Although we all carry them. I think all motorhome pitches should be leval to start with. But very few sites are.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have a couple of waffle boards and some blocks of wood. Hardly ever use them. Try it first and see how you get on. If you find you don't like the floor sloping then get some. We have watched the fun on many occasions. MH trying to drive up steep ramps. Sitting in a campsite in Spain at the moment. Nice and flat but the guy next to us has his ramps out and front wheels lifted about 30mm. He has then put car scissor jacks under the front jacking points and lifted the body up.

Don't know what's up with the guy he has put ground sheets down over the whole pitch and then driven his MH onto it.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I use Milenco Quattro and use them ALL OF THE TIME, they come with a carry case but they take up about a third of the area under a front (sofa?) seat. But beware using them on the rear as they can catch the gray water waste pipe.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Milenco 'quatros' give just about the biggest lift and on occasion I wish I'd got a pair.

But they are bulky to store (especially in a pvc) and weigh quite a lot.

So we've got a pair of Milenco 'triples' which are a much more manageable size and fit neatly (in their bespoke carrying case) in our van conversion. Have had them 7 years and can't see any reason why they shouldn't last for at least the same again or more. They are robust but relatively lightweight.

http://www.milenco.com/products/levelling/triple-level

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH slopes from back to front so I can level on a slight slope by just parking the right way round.(Not a member of the CC+M so not a problem) The only time this doesn't work is if the ground is absolutely level when ramps might be used (if I'm staying long enough for the faff to be worthwhile.)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have the Milenco Ramps. Only used them once in six years, as we find that most pitches are reasonably level and being an inch or two out doesn't bother us. Nothing wrong with being at a slight angle:

IMG_2287.JPG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
This is one of mine.. it helps being long as you get both wheels on at the rear.
20170920_190739.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is one of mine.. it helps being long as you get both wheels on at the rear.View attachment 187212
Two of those probably equals my scooter in weight lol

If campsites are allocating spots that much off the level I'm glad I don't use them.
And for wilding I like to be able to drive away in an emergency without having to lift ramps etc

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I note you have a PVC. However as with many if not all Alko chassis, the front is significantly lower when standing. And needs at least 2-3inch of front lift Just to get level and allow the Shower tray to drain properly!:mad:. I have an older pair of Thule Ramps with 3 "steps", they reside in the gas bottle locker when not in use.

I do miss the Levelling Jacks on the R-V`s though! :cry: Park up and level before the kettle has boiled!(y)

Last edited:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We have Milenco triples, which I damaged the first time with the new PVC.

I think they are a must, many sites are not level, I have used them on one side, just the the front to just the rear wheels.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I should add along with the electric cable we don't store them in a cupboard as they are the first thing needed.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Two of those probably equals my scooter in weight lol

If campsites are allocating spots that much off the level I'm glad I don't use them.
And for wilding I like to be able to drive away in an emergency without having to lift ramps etc

Sadly Motocross paddocks tend to not be flat,so its a must to be able to get decent elevation , I have had my Milenco' on top of these, rather than drive up the step, you put then the other way up and drive to the end , and they sit flat on the top step, then a have a block that will sit under the other end, so a can reverse back, put the others on the top and then drive onto those on the front. Bit of a faff, but worth the effort .

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I should add along with the electric cable we don't store them in a cupboard as they are the first thing needed.

The art of organized packing.. stuff you need always goes in last not first, ramps , cable , jack and tools.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Big smile on my face today as first full day of campervan ownership [ or is it motorhome ?] Anyway being brand new to this I've already asked a question regarding hook up leads and now know what type to buy my next question is what type of wheel levels / chocks should I buy and why ? On ebay the prices vary but I know you tend to get what you pay for in life but I also know you often pay for the name with some products . I own a PVC so nothing huge. I don't know how long this lasts but I feel like a kid with a new toy today , definite spring in my step on this mornings dog walk.

We have had our MH for a couple of years and we both feel like a kid with a new toy every time we go off in it. Even for short breaks. We went to look at a second hand car for our son the other day, we took the MH and stayed over night to miss the traffic. Still enjoyed ourselves.
With regards to which ramps to get. Something like the above either the yellow or black ones will be fine. I have a set of Thule ramps which various steps on them which is a big help. We don't use them very often as I try to find a level spot when parking up. Over two years I think we have only used them probably three or four times. When they are needed they are useful to have so I don't regret having them and carrying them around. But I wouldn't spent too much money on them. There are plenty of other toys to buy.
HAppy travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back