Animal Health Certificate charges - the Good Guys (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I keep hearing about Abbeywell Vets in Folkestone, someone on the site we are on now was telling us about it only yesterday and Liz sees it mentioned regularly on a Spaniel FB page she follows.
£99 per dog, reduced to £79 if you use them a second time.
All the paperwork sorted on line before you get there, physical exam, chip scan and away you go in 15-20 minutes.
Our local veterinary money rakers Kingston Veterinary Group charged us £260 in April of this year.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Have used Abbeywell three times. £99 for the first and £69 for subsequent ahc for same dog no changes to spec.

Got a passport from Lieve in Bruges last Tuesday. Cost €88 Inc worming pill and a new 3 year rabies. She put last year's 3 year UK rabies jab in the passport then hers.

Came back Friday through Calais Eurotunnel and used passport with no problems.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
We found the easiest way was to get a AHC used Abbeywell. Then whilst in the EU find a vet that will issue an EU pet passport. You can not use the EU pet passport to return as they will need to give a new rabies injection which has to be for 1y. We were told in Spain they can not give the first rabies jab for any longer than 1y. Collected EU passport. Used the AHC to return. Then you now have 12 months to revisit EU and get a 3y jab which we did a few months later. Do not let any UK vet write anything in the EU passport.
Some Spanish vets further North will give 3 year Rabies which we had done at the vets at La Zenia 29 euros for passport and 3 year Rabies. We used the passport to return as more than 21 had elapsed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Our vets charged quite a bit less than £75, when I remarked that was great value. They pointed out that our families had been using them for a long time, the cost I suspect to folk who aren’t regular customers may well be higher.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Used Abbeywell earlier this year. Got them both a Belgian passport which they came back on. 3 yr rabies vaccine which was not strictly needed so the two dogs are now synchronised.

Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Our vets charged quite a bit less than £75, when I remarked that was great value. They pointed out that our families had been using them for a long time, the cost I suspect to folk who aren’t regular customers may well be higher.
My complaint to my regular vet (who charges £280 - I go elsewhere) was that they should provide the AHC at cost price plus a modest markup as a SERVICE to regular customers. They weren’t interested.

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
We found the easiest way was to get a AHC used Abbeywell. Then whilst in the EU find a vet that will issue an EU pet passport. You can not use the EU pet passport to return as they will need to give a new rabies injection which has to be for 1y. We were told in Spain they can not give the first rabies jab for any longer than 1y. Collected EU passport. Used the AHC to return. Then you now have 12 months to revisit EU and get a 3y jab which we did a few months later. Do not let any UK vet write anything in the EU passport.
Hi you can use it to return to uk we did with no issues . Had AHC to hand just in case but only looked at eu passport

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We found the easiest way was to get a AHC used Abbeywell. Then whilst in the EU find a vet that will issue an EU pet passport. You can not use the EU pet passport to return as they will need to give a new rabies injection which has to be for 1y.
You can use the new pp if it has been 21 days since the jab

We were told in Spain they can not give the first rabies jab for any longer than 1y.
Depends where you go as the different regions have different policies, some are 1 year, others 3 years.

Collected EU passport. Used the AHC to return. Then you now have 12 months to revisit EU and get a 3y jab which we did a few months later.
Better to get a 3 year one if you can, obviously depends on where you are travelling but worth contacting a few vets in various areas to check costs and rabies jab duration.
Do not let any UK vet write anything in the EU passport.
Agreed, with the exception of worming if you are travelling and returning to the UK within the 5 day period, eg a weekend trip, with no time to get it done in the EU.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I don’t see how it can be done purely by post. They must inspect the pet to confirm it’s healthy enough to travel.
It’s more about the form, I paid £110 in Suffolk and the vet only checked the microchip, no examination of my dog

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
It’s more about the form, I paid £110 in Suffolk and the vet only checked the microchip, no examination of my dog
They need to check the microchip to make sure they're dealing with the correct dog, but an AHC is not a health check, its principally a confirmation of the rabies vaccine status of the animal.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
They need to check the microchip to make sure they're dealing with the correct dog, but an AHC is not a health check, its principally a confirmation of the rabies vaccine status of the animal.
Yes
Quick and easy. I filled in all the forms before I saw the vet. Sent her the vaccine certificates and gave her all the info she needed. She transferred the info to the official form, checked the microchip and said £110 please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back