Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, we’ve had another good day here!
We
It started well, with a Circle of Torture session with the girls - our own version of ‘exercise entente cordiale’...

F15E5C80-9F48-4BEB-AAF4-D4AAD6805173.jpeg

We have background music - and while I was at the ‘Rubber Band Fetish’ Station, raising and lowering my upper body with the help of a rubber band, Dean Martin’s ‘Sway’ came on (to which I know all the words), and I just had to belt out my own rendition.

Amazing Maz was at the ‘Pretend Your Pulling A 20 Ton Truck With A Skipping Rope’ Station. Upon hearing my opening lines, she suddenly ditched the rope, strides out to the middle of the room, and performs a Rumba, the quality of which would have scored her a perfect 10 from Len!

I tell you, If Us Girls ran the EU we’de still be in it - and smiling!

The lovely day continued with a walk through the market, where we helped Dunworkin Sue and Lance scoff some churros and chocolate sauce, before walking back to the van for lunch, before joining the Funster Gang at Idols for the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club Karaoke afternoon.

Shaun (one of our Villasol Mates) was the star crooner of the afternoon. There was another bloke, who had his own weird, Orange sponge microphone cover, and a very overactive vibrato, the like of which Burley Shassey would have been proud, but he couldn’t hold a light to our lad.

We’d all decided it was Shaun and Andy’s Sodoff Party, as they are off on a cruise next week - quickweh Pauline suggested it would be a good idea to do a group rendition of Rod Stewart’s ‘Sailing’ - and it would have been a brilliant send off for them, but the cut off time for submitting song requests had passed ..... although going by previous consequences of Pauline’s involvement - Julio’s broken leg, Chris collapsing outside a caravan, glass table tops falling onto Jessica’s feet - I think Shaun and Andy would be happy with a cheery ‘Bon Voyage’ rather than run the risk of their ship hitting an iceberg and sinking without trace .....

Polly was serenaded yet again, not by Elvis, but by another crooner ...
7EE5326E-2984-4C7D-918C-D4AF636B6F5F.jpeg

But she seemed to enjoy it just as much!

Anyway, we left there and headed to Casa Pepi’s for dinner, which was just as good as last time.
Pepi aka Tomas, did very well considering he had no notice of a group of 13 turning up, and we all had three courses, plus dessert - the man is a star...

07CCAF2E-358F-46E8-94BE-541D1C297A83.jpeg

Well that was yesterday - today is Thursday and we are on a quest to win a second Sunday Dinner Voucher at the Quiz tonight, to go with the one we won last week, so we have more roast potatoes to share between 8!

Wish us luck Amigos!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Evening all - I know you’ll find it hard to believe - but tonight I am not a happy bunny! ? More of that later ...

The day began with a beautiful blue sky - which has been conspicuous by its absence for the last few days, so quickweh Pauline and I ‘power walked’ over to Torretta for a high intensity aerobic workout with Chris, who had returned from the UK and was raring to go.

She knows we’re from Villasol and frankly was quite perplexed to see us waving out at everyone who walked up to the terrace while we were working out. She wasn’t to know that every one of them was a Fellow Funster - I think she has us down as the two (albeit mega fit) mad women who like to wave to all and sundry whilst performing sumo wrestling moves on the terrace! I’ve never been asked to do this move in an exercise class before, and I have to say, it’s not the most elegant of stances!

The terrace filled up quickly after this, with campers watching us exercising, whilst drinking their coffees - I felt like signing autographs at the end of the session - and I think Pauline is going to put a hat out when we go back on Saturday!

We walked along the front in brilliant sunshine and the beach was full of families enjoying the sun, before most of them have to return home tomorrow - it’s been a real shame for those who’ve come here for half term holidays this week - today’s been the first decent day since last Saturday when most of them arrived.

We stopped for a coffee and a Carne Picante Empanadilla, before walking back in time for Zumba - where I yet again had the dance step awareness of Corporal Jones!

Jessica certainly hasn’t got any lasting damage from the glass topped table injury, and was zumba-ing with the fluidity and grace of Ola Jordan - and this after having two children! I hate the wall sized mirror that we dance in front of - I look more like a mixture of Russell Grant, John Sargeant and Anne Widdicombe!

Now onto tonight - The Quiz. We did well in both the pictures and the quiz, losing by just 1 point on the pictures - fair enough. We got 37 out of 45 for the quiz. With much changing of answers, crossings out, etc, a thoroughly messy quiz sheet.

The winning team consisted of three people, one of which was a very young teenager. They were sat behind us, the farthest away from Ashley, the host and Quizmaster, shielded by us lot sat in front of them. I marked their paper.

It was pristine.
No crossings out.
No changes of answers.
Every answer correct - apart from three.

Now I ask you Funsters -

Would you have known the exact year Big Ben first chimed? They did.

Would you have known when Rupert Murdoch bought the Sun? They did.

One of the answers they got wrong was how many sides does a pentecontagon have. We guessed correctly at 50. Their answer? 48. :Eeek:

Now my theory here is - they didn’t know how to spell pentecontagon, so couldn’t Google it.

They clearly guessed this answer - but 48? When the question contained ‘pent’ - anyone with elementary maths would have known there should have been a 5 somewhere!

Funsters who know me know my competitive streak when it comes to quizzes - indeed a few refuse to be on my team, I’m so obnoxious - but I cannot abide cheats.

Ashley did quip (not in the least sarcastically ;) ‘I think that’s the highest score we’ve ever had’!

All I can say is they must have been desperate for a Sunday Dinner...

Anyhoo - my three Ukey Girls are here on Monday for four days - two Buddhists and an Atheist - but not a cheat among them, so we will have a blast and the weather looks good too!

130788C3-4AF5-4003-866B-92193D5F959F.jpeg

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, that was Friday and now it’s Sunday! Time flies when you’re having fun!

Saturday found us in Tapas Square, after stopping off to pick up a gift for Our Rob and Catie. It’s a cushion! She’ll love it, he’ll hate it!
D0BFA0E5-B02B-41B2-AFC7-B0950D30840C.jpeg

We got to Tapas Square in time to get a table for us all and everyone tucked into food, cava, and beer.

quickweh Pauline was in charge of their bottle of cava - she made sure her and Mike had equal measures .... her measure was a little more equal than his .... :rofl:
CDDFEA15-68B6-4197-8BE4-8BD3FE7E9C77.jpeg

We moved on in glorious sunshine and stopped at Pinocchios for coffee and cake.

Some cakes were better than others, my strawberry tart was lovely, Cliff’s eclair not so good.

I think the cakes have been very disappointing here - they look good, but the taste doesn’t come up to scratch. We never eat cakes at home, so I don’t know why we bother here!

Today we used our winning quiz ticket for Sunday lunch at The Corner Bar with JockandRita and DABurleigh David and Ali. quickweh Pauline and Mike have family coming today, so they weren’t able to join us.

It was ok, but again, we wouldn’t rush back. At least we won’t be quite so cross about being cheated out of another free Sunday lunch in future!

We joined Funsters on Villasol Terrace to make the most of the setting sun, before coming home to chill in front of the telly.

I am going with Mal to meet the girls at the airport tomorrow.

They think they’re being met by a man, wearing a green hat with ‘Mal’ on it.

However, they’ll be met by me, holding my magnificent piece of artwork aloft....
173F2DD7-06C9-4FE3-BD1B-1127CD79ED35.jpeg

:rofl:

I’m hoping they won’t be so embarrassed by the infantile drawings that they walk straight past in a desperate search for the man with the green hat ....

Photos to follow tomorrow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, I’m typing this waiting for Mal to come and pick me up. The girls’ flight has been delayed by an hour, so they won’t be landing until 10.00pm.

They asked me to get some groceries in for them - Rioja and decent biscuits - you can see why they’re my besties .....

We woke to a freezing cold morning with a glorious blue sky. quickweh Pauline and I did the Circle of Torture, and I wandered back to the van, in expectation of an easy day ... no chance - Cliff had got on the scales, and so I was greeted by ‘ C’mon, we’re walking to The Cross today’ :Eeek:

This is the second time we’ve done the walk this holiday, and I have to say it was a lot easier than the first time - I think the Circle of Torture and daily walks of 8 miles are paying off!

We got to within a gnat’s whisker of the top and it was closed off! They were filming at the Top ...
F0E66C9B-BE4C-4AED-A43F-AF96E3BA9EC8.jpeg

We were THIS close!

886C2534-5C0F-4945-A844-50CF2393DF4C.jpeg

There were lots of people, but we didn’t recognise the cast of ‘Benidorm’ ...

So we stopped and ate a banana whilst admiring the view ...
D9580D8F-D26D-4165-B68C-B30443340E24.jpeg

We walked past quite a few of the Horrible Caterpillar nests ...
D376D802-BE4D-4EC0-B781-067B69D4B58B.jpeg

We saw a plethora of red bluebells ...
8F609730-A5EB-4A80-9523-88E870A0E6C9.jpeg

Before walking down to the front and a dish of chips at The Copacobana.

But the best part of the trip?

Well, I may not have my MOTG outfit, but .....

BE8FEBB0-1347-4523-97D7-6AEA648F9D43.jpeg

I GOT MA DANCING SHOES!!!

They are so sparkly, that when I am dancing, I’ll be my very own glitter ball!

I showed them to Catie’s mum, and she wants me to get her a pair too!

Catie is yet to comment on them ...

The silence is ominous ....

Anyhoo - I’m off to the airport soon, with my little, understated banner, and Cliff is preparing himself for the next 4 days of fun, uke, more fun, 3 forces of nature, and a little bit of uke thrown in .....

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
can you have red blue bells?keep the posts coming ger realy enjoying this thread
Steve, they look like bluebells (although the Spanish variety, and not our pretty British ones), but they’re red. DBK will hopefully be along soon, to tell us what they are!

Glad you’re enjoying the thread - but you and Di should be here with us! xx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure about the red flowers. They look a bit like some sort of aloe. The leaves would be the giveaway. If they are rigid spiky things then probably an aloe. Not a wild flower I think, a garden escape or something naturalised. :)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Mother of millions? the flower not you :LOL:

image.jpeg

Bryophyllum delagoensis, commonly called mother of millions, is a succulent plant native to Madagascar. Like other members of its genus Bryophyllum, it is able to propagate vegetatively from plantlets that develop on its phylloclade margins.Chandelier plant is an alternative common

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Mother of millions? the flower not you :LOL:

View attachment 364771

Bryophyllum delagoensis, commonly called mother of millions, is a succulent plant native to Madagascar. Like other members of its genus Bryophyllum, it is able to propagate vegetatively from plantlets that develop on its phylloclade margins.Chandelier plant is an alternative common
Mother of Millions - with the MOTG outfit saga, I’m happy to be a Mother of One!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Love the sandals , they look very comfy. You'll certainly be able to dance the night away in those.
In fact, I bet if you brought a job lot home with you, you’d sell loads to fellow funsters.
I’d have a pair ! I don’t do uncomfortable high heels anymore either.
Though, If I have to, I take a comfy pair along too, to swap into.
Loving the sunny pics and daily exploits. Keep them coming ?

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Hope one of the Benidorm crew can help me? We have to meet our parents who will be in Benidorm at the beginning of May, when we have previously met them we have stayed at Camping Armenelo. The site is fine but we don't particularly like the little lane we have to walk down at night to get to the main road which Villsol is on as there is no lighting on a stretch of it. We also have 2 dogs so can't stay on Villasol, what are Torreta and Raco campsites like, are they an easy to walk to the centre also, is there anywhere we could exercise our dogs off lead close by to any of these sites?

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Raco is the same road as Torreta has a large dog walk at the entrance but not very clean and a very small area in the site. The only problem for me was very noisy and the 90% full timers think they own the site.But it may suit your needs .

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
And they’ve gone home!

We’ve had the most amazing last few days with my ukey girlfriends.

Mal drove me to the airport, and I waited in arrivals, getting very excited, holding the Banner aloft.

Unfortunately, Jean was first out - she is the most focussed of us all. She had been told to look out for a bloke wearing a green hat with ‘Mal’ written on it, so she promptly walked straight past my banner!

Luckily she was followed by Deb, who is the most observant of us all. She spotted the fluorescent yellow, highly coloured banner, but as my head was hiding behind it, she didn’t want to rush over and hug the banner holder, just incase the person holding it was a strange man wearing a green hat with ‘Mal’ written on it.

Di, followed close behind. She is the most sensible of us all. She instantly sussed that I had come to surprise them, and came straight over, giving me a huge hug, whilst shouting out to Jean to stop looking for Mal!

They loved the banner ....
914517B9-4706-4D1E-AE19-D2F290C2C125.png

I give you the Bristol Ukulele Gals, Jean, Deb, Di and me.

The first day we had coffee and a crepe, looking out onto the beach full of sunbathers, followed by a walk along to Poniente beach and a very enthusiastic welcome in our family tapas bar.

We walked back to Villasol and had a Uke practice session on the lawn, where we had an audience. A Dutch couple listened, sang along, and applauded enthusiastically. This is indeed proof that the Dutch will enjoy anything as long as its free. :rofl:

The evening was spent in Casa Pepi’s where we had a gorgeous Spanish meal, before walking up to the Tropical and watching ABBA Gold and dancing to George Michael ...
DA31A0D6-C6DA-4E86-889D-F06C1CA032BF.jpeg

Wednesday saw us having breakfast at the Coconut Cafe, before letting them loose on the Market.

We gave them two hours there, before we took them to Elvis at The Flash.
E20B8701-424D-4D65-9A28-DA5CF7E225E5.jpeg

Even though they never dreamed they’de be spending Wednesday afternoon, in a hotel bar, watching an Elvis impersonator, they absolutely loved it.

2BD2CF71-902D-40AC-AE59-DDC669A12F81.jpeg

I think the photo says it all....

Another practice on Villasol lawn was followed by a lovely Italian meal at Il Duettos, before walking down to see an act they’de spotted in The Riviera Bar - a favourite of us all - Dusty Springfield.

She wasn’t up to the job at all, and in between adjusting her wig, and telling us she had a hangover, she did some absolutely forgettable Dusty renditions.

In the opposite room they were Line Dancing. So leaving Clifton to sit through the Dire Dusty Diatribe, we all slunk off to join the fun.

The whole room was full of precision footwork, glittery tops, cowboy boots - and that was just the blokes! :rofl:

We tried to join in, but I was as bad at line dancing as I am at Zumba, and I have to say the girls were no better, even Di, who said she’d been to classes for years!

We were just about to leave and go back to Dreary Dusty, when a man left the line, went up to the DJ to ask her something and then came over to us.

He said he really wanted us to join in, and he was sure he could teach us some steps in the time it took the current dance to end! ‘Best of luck with that my friend’ says I - but he did!

He’d obviously asked the DJ to play the song that 3 year olds line dance to, and before we could say achy breaky heart, we were up there, and doing it!

It was brilliant- and I think most of the expert dancers smiled at our efforts.

We literally bumped in to a very unhappy looking Dusty as we walked off the floor, and momentarily felt a pang of guilt - however it lasted but a moment, and we returned to Cliff, just in time for Neil Diamond to start his act.

He was very good, and we sang along to all his hits, finishing with Sweet Caroline at the top of our lungs.

Thursday we got the bus to Cisne Market. A flea/brick a brac/junk market, where Jean and Deb were in their element. We’ve never managed more than 15 minutes walking through the stalls - they lasted well over an hour, before coming into the bar just in time to order a drink, go and get a dish of paella, just as the Irish singer was finishing and the Flamenco Dancers came on.

They absolutely loved it. I had been a bit worried about Cisne - I knew Deb would love the crap of the market, but I wasn’t sure about the €1 dish of paella and the Irish Pub Singer.

I needn’t have worried - they all loved it, and Jean (whose hubby is Irish and whose family they go back to visit every year) gave a very good rendition of ‘Riverdance’ as she went across the dance floor to go to the loo! She was given a huge round of applause and did an encore on the way back!

The Flamenco was as brilliant as usual and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

We caught the bus back, and we’re back out, on the strip to watch Pablo Bloom on the evening.

He was very good, but it was our first (and last) experience of The Strip at night. It’s easy to get the typical perception of Beni if that’s all people see of it - Hens exposing boobs, Stags mooning, and drunkards and drugged up people everywhere.

We walked back up to our end of town and had a nightcap in Sinatra’s. The measures of Baileys over ice were huge, and they went home in a very happy mood!

Friday was Cliff’s birthday. Now we always make a fuss on birthdays (me and the girls, not me and Cliff), and this was no exception.

We got to the tapas bar early and managed to get a table for five.

Out came the Hawaiian garlands....
D02052F7-E9FB-4F57-B749-A1A8A2EE0230.jpeg

Then came the birthday kisses ...
7F84343D-4CCD-42DF-B91A-DF64727317F5.jpeg

Deb is the Birthday Present Monitor, and we always get a ‘unique’ gift - albeit beautifully wrapped, from the car boot sale that’s held monthly in the scouts hut car park next to her house.

So it shows how much they think of Cliff - his present was brand new, and very personal to him .....

91F5992E-5B3B-4AC9-B6F1-D05AFFB152F5.jpeg

:rofl:

Di, Cliff and I walked back to the van, leaving Deb and Jean to do some last minute shopping before meeting up back at the van for a final Uke practice. To my surprise they didn’t hit the shops, but walked along the beach dipping their toes in the sea. They said they couldn’t believe what a glorious day it was, in February and wanted to make the most of their last day here.

We went to Pepi’s again for our last meal, which again was lovely.

Pepi is a wonderful host - very ‘Manuel’ like, while his wife, sons and daughter in law are working in the kitchen, cooking up Spanish delights.

The girls had an early start so we said our goodbyes there.

I think I can safely say they all had a lovely time, and we even practised our songs, ready for our next Uke Fest at Padstow in June.

I must say thanks to Sheddy Eddie, for putting us on to Mal, who really went above and beyond. He wasn’t able to take them back to the airport, so he bought them bus tickets, and dropped them off at the station in town, making sure they were at the right bus stop for the airport bus.

He had been reluctant to give them the tickets, because he said they couldn’t be trusted with them, but in the end he came to the van on Friday, (and following a ‘look’ from Jean) he handed them over, after being assured that they could be trusted not to lose them!

They have sent messages to say they got home safely, and it’s raining!

We spent today doing something different. Mal told us he walks to Albir through the hills, so we went up to his van to thank him for looking after the girls, and to find out his route.

Well, he’d lost me after turning left at Mundo Mar, but Cliff seemed to be taking it in, so we set off.

Funsters who know us, know that we never go on a holiday without getting lost. We didn’t get lost on this trip, but apart from Mundo Mar, we didn’t find any of Mal’s markers. No sewage farm, no iron road, no heap of rubble to keep cars out.

We did however walk through pine woods, past stables, luxury villas, savage dogs - infact our very own Camino.

There is the famous Camino de Santiago - The Way of St James. This ends at the door of the magnificent Cathedral of Santiago de Compestella.

I like to think ours was the Camino de Orange Tree. This ended at The Kitchen of the Orange Tree Restaurant in Albir.

Imagine the disappointment of the pilgrims who walked hundreds of miles through France, over the Pyrenees into Spain, and to the Cathedral, only to find the Porte de Gloriana closed and shrouded in scaffold, with an arrow pointing to a side entrance,

Imagine our disappointment, having hiked from Beni, to arrive at the Orange Tree hungry, only to find the owner doesn’t work on Saturdays, so there was no aioli! :crying:She had fortunately twice cooked the chips before she left, so we had those, and made do with ordinary mayonnaise,

We bussed it back and crashed out for the rest of today.

I have to say, we’ve had a brilliant week and - halos shining - quickweh Pauline and I, despite both having family and friends visiting, haven’t missed one Circle of Torture or Murderous Mat session throughout it all!

Sunday tomorrow - Market, Elvis and who knows what else! xx

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
THANK-YOU

I have really enjoyed reading your posts please keep it up (ooh matron)
The memories It has bought back knowing all the places you visit and some off the names mentioned as well as the activities you get up-to.

Since our first M'home trip to Beni' in 2012 we have been fortunate to spend a further five winters there (mainly on La Terreta) Unfortunately for the last two years our health has stopped us from traveling very far what with my open heart surgery and Lyn's myriad of ailments culminating in an upper gastro op last Monday, fingers crossed that recovery will be about 10 weeks then onwards and upwards. Our plan (you have to have a plan) for later this year Is to trundle down to Portugal for a month or so then work our way along the coast till we arrive in Beni' aiming to stop for a month to six weeks then up sticks and meander back through France and then home. Of course not a lot ever goes to plan but he-ho who cares.

So again please keep posting as I am sure i'm not the only one who enjoys being reminded of what I am missing :cool::drinks::cool: xxxx

1583055637585.png
1583055722817.png
1583055804638.png
1583056055780.png
1583056180099.png
1583056351870.png
That's better

My favourite saying 'there's no hope in the past'

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
THANK-YOU

I have really enjoyed reading your posts please keep it up (ooh matron)
The memories It has bought back knowing all the places you visit and some off the names mentioned as well as the activities you get up-to.

Since our first M'home trip to Beni' in 2012 we have been fortunate to spend a further five winters there (mainly on La Terreta) Unfortunately for the last two years our health has stopped us from traveling very far what with my open heart surgery and Lyn's myriad of ailments culminating in an upper gastro op last Monday, fingers crossed that recovery will be about 10 weeks then onwards and upwards. Our plan (you have to have a plan) for later this year Is to trundle down to Portugal for a month or so then work our way along the coast till we arrive in Beni' aiming to stop for a month to six weeks then up sticks and meander back through France and then home. Of course not a lot ever goes to plan but he-ho who cares.

So again please keep posting as I am sure i'm not the only one who enjoys being reminded of what I am missing :cool::drinks::cool: xxxx

View attachment 365986 View attachment 365987 View attachment 365988 View attachment 365990 View attachment 365991 View attachment 365992 That's better

My favourite saying 'there's no hope in the past'
Thank you so much for those kind words. I write these blogs, partly because my pen is more articulate than my tongue, but also as a reminder of what fun we’ve had on our travels.

So sorry to hear of your health issues, and I hope Lyn’s recovery is full and speedy, and that you get out and enjoy the sun later this year.

The photos are gorgeous - and really show what Beni, and this part of beautiful Spain is all about.

I think there are enough of us Beni Lovers on this forum to outnumber the Beni Dislikers (note I never use the word ‘hate’ - they just haven’t been to the right Beni) and long may it last! ;)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We’ve had a lovely Sunday here in Beni.

We had all been keeping a secret from JockandRita Rita. Their daughter Jennifer was coming out for a few days to surprise her mum.

Jock enlisted the help of quickweh Pauline and I, and we took our duties very seriously.

We met at the Market Handbag Stall and all walked to The Flash Hotel.

I think Victor (Elvis) looks for us coming now. He knows that there will be at least 3 people whooping and hollering his every song.

We sat in our normal seats and Elvis started to sing.

When he got to ‘Can’t help Falling In Love With You’ he came across to our table and started to serenade Pauline.

65D6E5B9-9914-473B-9CDE-EC58B702150B.jpeg

Sorry toledo Polly, but he’s moved on ....
67661C69-4CDA-4DC7-86BD-FA8F1FCC4752.jpeg

I was sitting in the wrong place to take photos, but it’s definitely Elvis and it’s DEFINITELY Pauline. The photo doesn’t show the blush of pleasure on her cheeks! :rofl:

He went on with his fabulous routine, bouyed along by his rapturous bevy of female fans (which was boosted by a very enthusiastic hen party).

He stopped at the end of a particularly hip swinging rendition of GI Blues, and started to ask the usual ‘are there any Irish, Scottish, English in the audience’ finishing with Welsh. We all pointed to Rita, who seemed to retreat into her chair (she’s almost as shy as me .... ) when Elvis came over to her and asked if she had a family, to which Rita said ‘yes, a daughter in the UK’ ...
9B2D3EA9-B30D-4463-9967-22EF3865C0A1.jpeg

And in true Eamonn Andrews style he pulled her up to the stage and said ‘yes Rita, you thought she was in the UK, but with the help of Easijet she’s here in Benidorm ..... ‘
74BF05ED-E84B-41A6-A282-A171AB787018.png

Rita was surprised and a little overcome, so it was good that Elvis had the second half of his show to do, and Rita and Jen could get their breathe back. Not sure what Jen thought of all these mature women (well two anyway) singing and whooping at Elvis, blowing him kisses and heart shaped hands beating off their chests (well one anyway), but she took it in good part!
7CDD49EF-6156-4B9B-B7D8-C269E2602ABD.jpeg

I was looking out for her, to start the video (not realising that Jock had already been in contact with Elvis to set it all up), but I think you’ll all agree, I needn’t have worried about not recognising her!

A lovely surprise, and Jen is a lovely girl, a credit to you both.

We walked along the front, and stopped for a coffee. Some of us were more restrained than others ...
96A734A5-513D-4AB1-8741-73A86D647552.jpeg

2DE21B37-4338-4942-95C8-2D26D67DB83B.jpeg

I have a MOTG outfit to get into (once we’ve found it Mousy) so I stuck with a very slimming Americano and Tia Maria ....

We all walked back to Villasol terrace to introduce Jen to the Funsters gathered there, and stayed chatting till the sun went down.

A lovely day.

Made even more special by a message from Deb (one of my lovely Bugs) to say she had checked up on the flowers she had grown, picked and stored in the dark since last year, for our Rob and Catie’s confetti and it’s all good and can be put into sweetie bags closer to the Big Day!
1583144122082.jpeg

Her photography skills are about as good as mine - but you get the picture!

That was yesterday - today, a walk to Cala de Finestrat on what is a very windy day! xx

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I was sitting in the wrong place to take photos, but it’s definitely Elvis and it’s DEFINITELY Pauline. The photo doesn’t show the blush of pleasure on her cheeks! :rofl:
Maybe not, but I certainly felt the glow from them, from where I was sat. :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure when you will be back in the UK Geraldine of cliffandger but I did do a recce in Phase Eight at Clarks Village yesterday and they had absolutely loads of lovely dresses and little jackets in many different colours that looked as though they’d be great for a wedding. There were a few in Hobbs but they were still a bit wintery. I didn’t think until I got home that I should have taken photos, what a muppet, sorry about that.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure when you will be back in the UK Geraldine of cliffandger but I did do a recce in Phase Eight at Clarks Village yesterday and they had absolutely loads of lovely dresses and little jackets in many different colours that looked as though they’d be great for a wedding. There were a few in Hobbs but they were still a bit wintery. I didn’t think until I got home that I should have taken photos, what a muppet, sorry about that.
Thanks for that Carolyn. I feel a couple of nights spent on our front drive Mousy, and a trip to Street... ;)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Another great write up Geraldine. (y)

Many thanks to you and Cliff, and quickweh Pauline & Mike, for going along with it all, and helping out the way you all did. For Rita especially, yesterday will be a day to remember for a long time. ;)

Thanks again,

Jock. :)
What a lovely surprise for Rita! Hope Jen enjoys her Bennie trip!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, what a windy day it's been in Beni!

quickweh Pauline and I were up at the crack of 9.15 for The Circle of Torture, albeit in a much reduced class. A couple of girls have moved on, and a couple are away for a few days. I personally think this is because Maz announced last week that Colin is taking over the class tomorrow.

Colin is an ex military, Judo Dan, who demonstrated one of his exercises last week - I am still having difficulty walking! :oops:

I tried to persuade Pauline to go AWOL on his class, and go over to Chris at Torreta, but she is nothing if not a loyal little soul, and said 'no, we should give Colin a chance.'

I've been sort of hoping that the 'Curse of Quickweh' would rear it's ugly head; nothing serious, maybe a sprained toe - anything to stop Colin from enlisting us all in his boot camp - but to my dismay, he seemed very spritely when he marched past me this afternoon, in double quick time, barking out a cheery 'see you tomorrow morning' with not the slightest sign of a limp... :(

We were going to walk to Cala de Finestrat today, but it was soooo windy!

We walked along the front, and the sun was shining, but with a very hot, sirocco wind blowing..
7D69B36A-676F-46CF-A5B4-40E97A6E1A5E.jpeg

'Mavis, We've bought beach chairs, so we're bloody well going to sit in the sun....'
142B945D-9D6A-49DA-96CF-E1F1B69B0801.jpeg

We got as far as Playa del Mal Pas, and we're being sandblasted! This beach is usually full of sunworshippers....
D1EF0478-F347-4E79-8C02-AFC854C1D064.jpeg

All the sunloungers were stacked up against the wall. The waves here usually gently lap the shore....

We were walking up to the Pagoda, where it was very windy, and where I really appreciated having a short hair style.....
4667DD71-FA12-494F-B68C-6D9F8A0C0715.jpeg

:oops::rofl:

We gave up on the walk, and cut up through Old Town, where we consoled ourselves with a tapas lunch - I realise this is the first photo I've ever taken of lunch - and it will be the last - so make the most of it...
F82D29B0-D0A4-4008-B91A-5CE8CC3C2EC0.png

Clockwise from the top: Egg and chips x 2, chorizo, pork sausage, jalapeno and black pudding, chorizo and jalapeno, tuna empanada and tortilla + a litre Jarre de Cerveza = €7.

We walked back out onto the front, (after stopping in the Picolino shoe shop that had a Rabajas on - unfortunately the shoes I picked were from the nuevo collecion - oops) and bumped into JockandRita Rita and Jen, who were on their way to the coffee shop.

We thought it rude not to join them, so two huge ice creams later, we were on our way back to Villasol, via the Sparkly Sandal Shop to buy Catie's mum a pair of Dancing Shoes...
93A9FB81-65CE-4993-B877-94FA407F92DF.jpeg

The camera doesn't do them justice, they are as sparkly as mine - honest!

We got back and have spent the rest of the day crashing out, in preparation for Colin's Corporal Punishment Session tomorrow.

However, before I go I couldn't resist another hair raising photo....
D10FD0A2-A952-4B21-BB1D-5E47A427318B.png

I hope she uses anti tangle conditioner.... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If I get Exertional rhabdomyolysis (look it up) after Colin's Class tomorrow, Jean my Buddhist BUG, will say it's Karma for taking the above photos.....

Hasta La Manana my Funster Amigos!

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What a lovely surprise for Rita! Hope Jen enjoys her Bennie trip!
Thanks Anthea. :) Yes, Jen is enjoying her trip thanks. (y)
We hope you and Rob are having a ball. Goodness knows you deserve to. (y)

It is blowing a hoolie here at Beni, so much so that both our bikes, which are sheltered, covered, and chained together............................................have blown over. :whatthe: No way am I sorting them out tonight.

Sorry cliffandger, I didn't mean to hijack your blog Grealdine. :blush::blush::blush:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, another lovely day here Funster Friends!

The day began trepidatiously- Colin was already warming up when quickweh Pauline and I walked in to keep fit.

The mats were down, the weights were out, and Corporal Colin wasted no time getting us to stretch, and that was what the whole session consisted of - stretching. In amongst the stretching Colin taught us a couple of high kicks from a bent knee position (woe betide any scum bag who thinks he has a chance in Muggers Alley NOW - my high kick is on a level with the tallest Crown Jewels ...)

He said he had been a martial arts expert for 40 years - and he was certainly very fit.

I was surprised at how bendy I was - I certainly wouldn’t have been able to do any of it 2 months ago!

Corp Colin is taking over on Friday and Saturday, as Maz is off to a Line Dancing weekend in Marjal, so he will be my last fitness coach this year.

I can’t believe I’ve stuck it out for the whole of this holiday - I have to thank my little Pocket Rocket Pal Pauline for being such an enthusiastic mate, and making the sessions not only bearable, but enjoyable too.

We went into town to Mercadona to knock one item off the shopping list (Emmit (y) ), and then cycled up to Medmart to do a rekky on parking for the van when we head out of Beni on Monday, to stock up on Rioja.

I’m happy to report there are spaces for a Motorhome, so we can pack the van with Rioja, pate, nuts and Frutos secos.

We were all set to go to the Flamingo Oasis Hotel tonight to watch Michael Buble. I was very excited about this.

The Real Deal Buble is playing at The Royal Crescent in Bath in June. Cliff said ‘you always wanted to see him didn’t you?’ ‘Yes’ I said. ‘We should get tickets’ He said. So I went on Internet and they’re over £270 each for a half decent (but not the best) seats. ‘Far too expensive’ I said. That was what I SAID - what I MEANT was ‘too expensive for ME to buy, but not too expensive for YOU to buy and present them to me on my birthday!

My special birthday came (when I got older, losing my hair, many years from now - NOT) and I got a Fitbit, a box of chocolates and NO Bubles in the Bath - 44 years of marriage and he still can’t read between the lines ...

So imagine my excitement when Benidorm Buble was playing at The Flamingo Oasis tonight.

We all went, got next to front row seats, and sat through 40 minutes of Play Your Cards Right, with ear splitting volumes, before the main event was announced .... A Variety Show, with 6 Acts - none of which were Buble! ?

But what do Funsters do when served Lemons? They add them to Gin, Cider, Red Wine, (infact anything apart from making lemonade) ... we determined to make the best of it.

We had a bit of a wobble to begin with - it was Dean Ryan, and we’ve walked out on him in the House of Rock and Roll, but he only lasted 15 minutes, to be followed by Lisa Maxwell, who stumbled through Motown and Soul, forgot what she was supposed to be singing, and didn’t know when she was supposed to finish - I have to say it wasn’t looking good.

However, from then on it got better and better. A Bob Marley tribute was very good, a cool, understated Rastaman, who lifted the audience.

From then on it was brilliant. We danced to a Tony Hadley tribute, sang ‘Don’t You Want Me Baby’ at the top of our voices, before he finished his act with Rick Astley. The next act was Shirley Bassey. She had one hell of a voice. We saw her at Villasol when we arrived here in January, but she was even better on the stage of The Flamingo.

We were expecting the last act to be Buble, so when the annoying compere girl said it was Neil Diamond and Friends, but that there was also an act in the Piano Bar, we despatched our mole (Cliff) to said bar to find out if it was Buble, and if it was we were all going to slink off in the middle of Sweet Caroline, when all the raised arms would shield our exit.

Cliff texted me to say that yes, Buble was in the piano bar, and all 7 of us (JockandRita ’s Jen had left earlier as she had an early flight tomorrow) slunk off and made our way in search of the mellifluous voice that is The Benidorm Buble.

He was not Buble - Cliff has no idea who Buble is - but in true Funster style - we made the best of more lemons and danced the night away to a very good Spanish singer who sang The Mavericks, Penny Arcade, Sweet Caroline (clearly a Benidorm Favourite) among many others.

Some of us (you know who you are) befriended residents of the All Inclusive Flamingo, and managed to drink for nothing, and I spent €10 the whole evening.

A brilliantly night - No Buble, but plenty of fun and laughter.

Tomorrow is our last chance to see Elvis this year - We are ever thankful to Fredfox Fox Jacqui for introducing us to the Star of Beni Talent, and I intend to make the best of it.

Circle of Torture first though - so I should get to bed.

Hasta la Manana my Funster Amigos!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back