LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Speaking as a bloke, IMHO makeup on ladies, can be used in two ways, 1. to enhance natural beauty, 2, to try and cover up flaws.
Sadly the 2nd option is usualy the chosen option.
Sometimes I look at women that apply too much make up, especially black eye liner, and think to myself WHY? you now look like a Panda Bear!
My OH, is like you Geraldine, never really been into makeup, not even lipstick, I do prefer the natural look, but I wont say warts and all.
LES:giggle:
I was told a couple of years ago, that it was the height of arrogance, not to wear make up, and expect people to look at you, unmade up and unenhanced..... needless to say they aren’t on my Christmas Card list any more!
I can't work this out. Naturally I assumed that you were on holiday, but now I'm thinking you are being punished, some form of boot camp. What have you done to deserve this apart from taking part in a wet tee-shirt competition ?
I am on holiday Brian, but I have our Rob’s wedding 6 weeks after we get back, and I am the world’s laziest person. If I don’t take myself in hand now, all will be lost and I shall hate the photos for the rest of my natural!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well Funsters - it’s been a gorgeous day here in Beni. Sat relaxing in the van before the Shrewsbury -v- Liverpool game starts - at which time I will be practising my little instrument!

So, to catch up. We had a wonderful day yesterday - I know I always say that - but it truly was!

Malcolm Bolt said as it was his and Cathryn’s last day they were going to Tapas Square for lunch.

We had no idea where this was, and were sure it wouldn’t be as good as Our Alley, but we felt compelled to find it.

We Found It.
It was good.
I felt I was partaking in an Illicit Tapas Affair.

If I’m found out I will say it was all The Bolts Doing, and we were led astray.

I have to say, it was GOOD. 6 tapas, and a litre of beer for 7 euros.

We sat with Cathryn and Malcolm, and their friends Dawn and John (who are coming to Villasol at the end of February). Dawn had an English tapa as part of her six, a small terracotta dish of chips with a tiny egg on top! It looked lush, but we went Spanish with a mix of chorizo, sausage, pork, fish, aubergine, Jamon, asparagus and tortilla.

It was all mucho bueno. After we’de all eaten our fill, we moved on to El Zarasoza, where we had whitebait and beer. Pauline and Mike quickweh joined us, and we all wondered along the sunny prom to find a ‘coffee and brandy stop’ where some of us indulged more than others.... I indulged in coffee, Tia Maria and a Crepe with Chantilly Cream - OMG - I have never partaken of this treat before - it won’t be my last!

Feeling well stuffed, we walked along the prom and Malcolm suggested El Duetto for dinner. ‘Never heard of it’ we said. ‘It’s a lovely Italian. Please join us’ they said.

And we did.
It was good.
We have no other restaurant affiliation, so I didn’t need to feel guilty!

We moved on to The Tropical, and watched Tributes to Phil Collins, ABBA, and Queen (We Will Rock You). What a fantastic three hours that was!

They were all brilliant- so energetic and enthusiastic.

I was a little disappointed that Crisp (aka Phil Collins) didn’t sing ‘Jesus He Knows Me’ but maybe that’s because it was a Genesis song, However what he did sing was very good.

ABBA Gold - two girls - absolutely brilliant- sang all the top songs, and really got the audience involved in the singing.

‘One Vision’ took a little time to start, and the host, Disco Dave said that one of the main trio was indisposed and someone else was stepping in.

There were discomforting rumblings among the audience and I feared a revolt, but we needn’t have worried - who had stepped into the breach?

Only Last Year’s Whitney!
Who was faultless, and had obviously stepped in before!

She was accompanied by two blokes (one with a tattooed head, and one who looked like Captain Mainwearing) but who sang amazingly well, and the whole act was - well - A MAZ ING!

As if that wasn’t enough - they all had a glove on that shot out green lasar lights from their fingers - I WANT THAT GLOVE!

What a day! We had a blast. Malcolm and Cathryn are two of the nicest Funsters you could ever wish to meet - but we could say that about every Funster we’ve met - Jim you did good when you set up this ‘ere site!

We’ve wondered around the market, We’ve cycled into Altea, and then stopped off on the way back for a chat with Ukbandit Lyn and Graham (sorry if we interrupted your sunbathing) and are now home and just about to eat tea, and spend the evening catching up on the wrongdoings of Profumo et al.

Torture Tuesday is on the horizon, (Julio has tomorrow off) so I am going to enjoy Not so Manic Monday, and wish The Malcolm Bolt ’s and the Mousy ‘s safe travels.

Cliff and Ger, Having Fun, Lovin Life in Beautiful Beni, signing off (for now)!

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
cliffandger I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling lost at what to wear at daughter/son's wedding.
I've already sent a Chesca John Lewis outfit back, I grudged paying the ridiculous price. I thought about a trouser set as well as not comfortable in skirts or dresses. I'm just really a mascara girl and wear foundation on special occasions but my bottle is probably 20 years old. The bride and bridesmaid being professionally made up on morning of wedding maybe I should go for it as well.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’de love to wear navy blue linen trousers Helen, but I feel a dress is needed.

I’m thinking fitted, aquamarine with a bolero jacket - that’s my baseline !
I’m a bit late to the party here.
I suggest you go to Wedmore when you return. There are lots of mother of the bride/groom type dress shops there including this one

I went and tried on lots but quickly decided that these sorts of outfits didn’t really suit me but it was fun to go.
I ended up buying both my mother outfits from Phase Eight. In fact I got one for my daughters wedding for £80. Teamed with a Phase Eight cream jacket, shoes from M&S and a hat from the hat hire shop in St Peter’s Hospice shop in Downend Bristol £10. There’s a great choice and you take your dress and a lady there helps with which is best.
Now I could afford the hundreds the dresses and hats cost that are labelled M OTG but I just was not comfortable in them, I wasn’t trying to economise but I did feel better that I hadn’t spent a fortune !
I did my own make up after having one done a month or so before in John Lewis at one of the counters there. I just bought a few bits to update my look, I wouldn’t have wanted one done by a “professional “ neither did my daughter.
C7E42798-84E6-4031-82B5-719BE2285DAD.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
We ventured out twice, but only to the Chinese shop for essentials like rope, more bungies and cable ties to beef up the Quest Pop Up incase of a return of the storm tonight, and some very tender cubed steak for a beef chilli and ale slow cooked stew for tea.

I love these Chinese shops in Spain - they can be absolute lifesavers when you're stuck. Last year, I cycled over from L'Escala to L'Estartit by the off-road route. The descent to L'Estartit is a bit exciting and, after regaining the tarmaced road, I was caught out by a stretch where it had broken up, going through rather faster than was wise. A bang from behind me and the rear tyre had gone down... :think:

The Slime in the inner tube hadn't worked and I was aghast to find, a) several punctures in the tube, and b) I'd forgotten to bring a pump.... :oops:

Only option was to walk down to the town and hope there a cycle shop - a desperate hope, I know::bigsmile:

First shop I encounter - and despite it being lunchtime, it was open - was the almost inevitable Chinese shop! The nice lady fixed me up with a small foot pump (didn't need a track pump, which was offered, as I already have one!) and a spare pack of patches as there were several holes to patch. About €11 and I was sorted...(y)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
cliffandger I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling lost at what to wear at daughter/son's wedding.
I've already sent a Chesca John Lewis outfit back, I grudged paying the ridiculous price. I thought about a trouser set as well as not comfortable in skirts or dresses. I'm just really a mascara girl and wear foundation on special occasions but my bottle is probably 20 years old. The bride and bridesmaid being professionally made up on morning of wedding maybe I should go for it as well.
Our Rob’s fiancée Catie said I was welcome to join her, her mum and the bridesmaids on the morning of the wedding to have champagne, hair done, and be made up by professionals. I declined saying I would be much happier to do my own hair and make up, but to spend the morning with my boy, the best man and ushers, all of whom I’ve known since they were four years old, and Cliff.

A morning of Make up, hairspray, Brides nerves, child bridesmaids, grown up bridesmaids -v- straightening ties, ironing shirts, chilling with the lads - I know which one I will prefer !

Wear what you feel comfortable in, I will certainly be doing that.

I’ve had advice to go with a Personal Shopper from JL or Debenhams. I think I might go with this, but will take a friend with me as another guide/opinion on what looks OK.

Ask for advice on Fun - there are some serious Fashionistas on here, willing to give help at every opportunity!

When is your Big Day?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our Rob’s fiancée Catie said I was welcome to join her, her mum and the bridesmaids on the morning of the wedding to have champagne, hair done, and be made up by professionals. I declined saying I would be much happier to do my own hair and make up, but to spend the morning with my boy, the best man and ushers, all of whom I’ve known since they were four years old, and Cliff.

A morning of Make up, hairspray, Brides nerves, child bridesmaids, grown up bridesmaids -v- straightening ties, ironing shirts, chilling with the lads - I know which one I will prefer !

I’ve had advice to go with a Personal Shopper from JL or Debenhams. I think I might go with this, but will take a friend with me as another guide/opinion on what looks OK.

Ask for advice on Fun - there are some serious Fashionistas on here, willing to give help at every opportunity!

When is your Big Day?
A really good thing I did on day of wedding at Ss Gt Britain was to get my friend to come round with lunch. I had family here staying and my usual hairdresser who normally comes to my house, she did me, daughter, my sister and my sisters daughter so it was quite busy and the time goes quickly. Wedding was at 5pm so we all needed food especially the groom and his very nervous best man !
Lunch was a welcome pause and my friend cleared it all up too.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’m a bit late to the party here.
I suggest you go to Wedmore when you return. There are lots of mother of the bride/groom type dress shops there including this one

I went and tried on lots but quickly decided that these sorts of outfits didn’t really suit me but it was fun to go.
I ended up buying both my mother outfits from Phase Eight. In fact I got one for my daughters wedding for £80. Teamed with a Phase Eight cream jacket, shoes from M&S and a hat from the hat hire shop in St Peter’s Hospice shop in Downend Bristol £10. There’s a great choice and you take your dress and a lady there helps with which is best.
Now I could afford the hundreds the dresses and hats cost that are labelled M OTG but I just was not comfortable in them, I wasn’t trying to economise but I did feel better that I hadn’t spent a fortune !
I did my own make up after having one done a month or so before in John Lewis at one of the counters there. I just bought a few bits to update my look, I wouldn’t have wanted one done by a “professional “ neither did my daughter.
View attachment 359269
What a beautiful photo! I’ve heard of Compton House of Fashion, but will probably go with JL or Debenhams. I love Précis, but I don’t think they’re in Debenhams anymore, and I can’t do with online shopping.

I’m going to have a look at the shops in Finestrat when Dawn Mousy gets here (she doesn’t know this yet, so keep it between yourselves ...) but I have to say, I’m getting a tiny bit excited ... interested to see how a sows ear can be turned into a silk purse - if anyone can do it Mousy can!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012

When is your Big Day?
cliffandger it's April 25th, not a huge wedding but in the grounds of a castle which is also a venue for larger weddings, we are in a barn I think and only her sis as bridesmaid. We are staying in 3 separate cottages on the estate. Most of the guests will be his relations. Daughter went for a taster make up session yesterday. She looked lovely but wasn't sure about the false eyelashes. I know the mother of groom is wearing teal.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Teal - crikey, is that green, grey green, browny green - what would you match with, that Funster Fashionistas ?

I think our theme is blue and green which is fine for me, as blue is my favourite colour.

They’re tying the knot on 9th May in the Cotswold Water Park, so everyone is staying the night before (which is a Friday, and this year a public holiday) so it should be quite chilled as everything is on site.

I’m determined to enjoy it - he’s our only one, so we only have to do it once!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just checking in while the footie’s on.

We’ve had a couple of lazy days here. Yesterday we walked right along the prom - sunbathers Out - this one was topless...

70824D1C-9EC9-4EEB-A3B5-93C86ABE2596.jpeg

The sunbathers were out in force ...

07F21242-0BE3-46AC-9940-FF0DFA1940B4.jpeg

And the prom was buzzing...

3CDA4FEE-1925-4FAB-99A9-E5B877670DCF.jpeg

We had tapas in our usual bar and then walked back to catch up with Funsters at Villasol bar.

Today started cold and windy, but the sun came out later on.

This afternoon I had a lovely jamming session with Graham Ukbandit, who will be an honorary member of BUGs (Bristol Ukulele Gals) when Deb, Di and Jean come out to play for a few days next month.

I joined Pauline quickweh for the Zumba session, where I messed up almost all the steps. I shall just about get them right and it will be time to come home!

Aston Villa are through to the final, so John Chocy boy will be happy (not so sure about Jackie though) ;)

Well, it’s keep fit at 9.30am tomorrow, so I will love you and leave you for today.

Hasta La Manana Mi Amigos!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Looks lovely weather Ger, it’s freezing and wet in Belgium...looks like we will be here for another day or two, then a fast blast down to you x

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well all, a lazy couple of days - and then today!

I was all set to be up and out at 9.15am today to meet quickweh Pauline for Keep Fit, when at 8.00am I get a Whatsapp from our Entertainments Manager and Exercise Empresario Julio to say he’s out of action for the foreseeable future because of a broken leg!

Apparently, he broke it going down the steps at Aquafit (I told Pauline it was an Extreme Sport and not for me, and I was proved right!)

Mildly disappointed at missing out on the exercise session, I got on the scales - after all the torture I’d undergone last week, I’d put a bleedin pound ON! :mad:

With the red mist still in my eyes, I said ‘Come on, we’re walking up to The Cross’.

So we did.

A1191C77-0F33-46B4-9EA8-4E8EA6EB1D47.jpeg

C56B91B0-7738-4D03-A261-C06CB4F0B502.jpeg

2E8B5D94-55B3-4462-B3D6-2D7134BC0785.jpeg

and not only that, we walked back down and along to the Old Town, where we forsook our family, single tapas bar (that wouldn’t have done the job today) and went to Pizza In The Sky Square for a Jurra of Cerveza and 6 Tapas!

Sustained by 2 x Chorizo on bread, 2 x Battered Prawns and Calamari, Patatas Bravas, Black Pudding and Jalapeño on Bread, we walked back to collapse in the sun outside the van.

20,495 steps in total, and almost half of it up a mountainside!

We threw beef, veg, and beans in the slow cooker, showered and staggered down to the bar to sit on the terrace and catch up with Funsters.

A lovely couple of hours was spent discussing the fillings and the differing ways of eating a baguette.

I admitted (after over 40 years of slicing baguettes) to only finding out last year in Beni, the correct way of slicing a baguette to get the elongated slices. I had always ‘undercut’ the slices horizontally- thereby ending up with uneven, rubbishy slices.

I watched the owner of our ‘second’ family tapas bar (which is closed this year for a refurb :crying:) hold the baguette and slice it vertically down at an angle - thereby getting uniform, perfect elongated slices) it was truly a revelation!

Jock just happened to have bought a French stick, but was reluctant to let me demonstrate my revelation. Rita said he was very particular about his French Stick, and shock horror, she let it slip that they CUT THE ENDS OFF AND THROW THEM AWAY!!!!

On that bombshell we all dispersed to rest and recuperate before a walk to Cisne Market tomorrow and the Quiz tomorrow night.

What a lovely day we’ve had - more to come tomorrow!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jock just happened to have bought a French stick, but was reluctant to let me demonstrate my revelation. Rita said he was very particular about his French Stick, and shock horror, she let it slip that they CUT THE ENDS OFF AND THROW THEM AWAY!!!!
EXCUSE ME Geraldine!!! I take great exception to blatant misrepresentation of my stick. I bought it freshly baked from a Spanish shop, and it's called a Baguette, ie, nothing bleddy French about it. :eek:

Also, you forgot to mention that I was accosted by a certain Diane Ditcha, and almost stripped naked for my French Stick Spanish Baguette. :Eeek: What was that all about.............................and in front of SWMBO too? :Eeek:

BTW, cutting the ends off is in the interest of preserving one's few original teeth left, thereby reducing possible damage to the gub, and the resultant dental repair costs. :LOL:

If it was a French Stick, I'd be hammering in nails with it by now. :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Ger darling, if you are resorting to posting how to slice a baguette, you are clearly not drinking enough, which is the whole point of BENIDORM and other such like places, as for the wedding, wear the cheeky little blue number with the anorak but without the thick socks, go with the flow and enjoy, much love to you, Cliff, the Bolts and all the crew, have fun enjoy the rest of your stay and see you in a field soon, love from sunny Camping Mehdia, Morocco. (y)

0CD1DA9C-4770-4865-97AF-E5415E40EFED.jpeg

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Mousy. Ooh Dawn & Martin, are you gracing us all with you presence here in the winter sun? Hope so. (y)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita, :)

Yes Jock, as you and Rita bailed out of New Years at Shrewsbury we are hunting you down at Beni. Not sure how long we will stay with all you snowbird funsters though..the french stick debate might be too exciting for Martin, he’s more of a large bap guy ;)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
JockandRita Jock, lo siento mucho por mi error relacionado con el pan.

The sun is out today - quite a few of our European neighbours have shady pitches, so they are sitting in the roads, pathways, and even taking over the emergency exits, complete with parked car! :rolleyes:

We are going on a Funsters Foray to Cisne today - photos to follow .....

Can’t wait for you to get here Mousy - you can add the cheese to the Baguetto debate ..... xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back