Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all l need your help.. I need to sell my house and get a motor home to live in full time (my dream).. It seems the world is against me.. Need an address to register MH and all the documentation... I'm over 60 and a newie so the insurance will probably be through the roof... HELP

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There are companies that will mirror your no claims discount onto your Moho.
Btw
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You need to take a step back and plan this carefully, there are many on here who full time and can give advice.
There are a number of hurdles to jump, all are achievable with thought and planning but not overnight.
The dream seems a simple and carefree life, but reality is not quite so straight forward
Good luck with your plans

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you Figaro.. I have given it a lot of thought and my wife and l are going to do it.. I know its not a holiday but a different way of living...yes we will have ups and downs but we are committed to the thought.. We are now deciding on a used Dethleffs Trend or esprit but it seems more difficult than we ever imagined to get insurance for full time MH.. We have a choice of living with my sister and m homing for 6-8 months.. Has anyone any advice please

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get full-time insurance from a few companies, AIB and Comfort spring to mind but it is likely to cost £2K.

Upvote 0

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Scottyland, the boring bit in the middle
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
You're never too old to live your dream (though being a bit mad helps). I'm building my own van and so have all this to look forward to as well. :). As Figaro says, it's really important to spend some time planning how it's all going to work for you.

Some useful information in this thread:
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/seriously-considering-full-timing-from-june.170719/
and plenty of others. Just search for "full timing".

If you can afford it I wouldn't rush to sell the house. If that isn't a choice then insurance will be cheaper if you have a relative whose address you could use. Once you let go of that though, full timing insurance is a good bit more expensive with fewer companies offering it. Still possible, but you'll likely have to pay more.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Look forward to seeing you on the road.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome to fun, no you are not to old, in fact I would say you are the perfect age to get a lot of good years out of it. If you can use your sisters address perhaps have a room there with your thing in so it is in fact your home address I'm sure it would make things easier, but as others have said do check out the full timing threads.
hellowelcome

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you stay with your sister for 5 or 6 months a year and get on the electoral register at that address you won't be full timing so regular insurance is all you need.
As already said, some insurers will copy your car no claim bonus as a discount % on the motorhomes insurance....but some won't.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Am l too old

Two things come to mind, Health, Money.

If you have both go for it. Health should get even better, money, well, that's up to you.

There seems an element in loneliness in posts by solo MHers, FUN can help there.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Hi Ellie :welcome4: Welcome to the mad house.
You've come to the right place for advice. There's masses of experience among the funsters.
I was watching this video just last week.
I'm sure that you will find much of the content useful.
I can't advise you myself as I'm just a newby also.
Once you've watched this video have a look at his channel, there's a lot of good stuff there.
Hope it all works out for you(y)

Upvote 0

AndyV

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2003
:welco:Good advice given so far, can't give you any on full time living but the age thing is not what your chronological age is but what your biological age is. In other words how fit & healthy you are. Good luck to you

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back