Alko Chassie question (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm pretty sure they'll be VW - not least because l assume VW wheels will be fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I can only say our fiat with alko chassis has fiat brakes, hubs and wheels at rear, and the front!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was under the impression all the components wheels, brakes, shocks etc were the Base vehicle and only the actual chassis was alko

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Chassis and rear suspension is Alko. The rest is base vehicle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well I learnt something today.....but,

surely it can't be financially viable for Alko to make so many different stub axles with different dimensions for every type of vehicle.
Even the back plate or caliper mount holes will be different
A hub and brake drum/disc for a fiat obviously won't fit a VW stub axle.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I
Well I learnt something today.....but,

surely it can't be financially viable for Alko to make so many different stub axles with different dimensions for every type of vehicle.
Even the back plate or caliper mount holes will be different
A hub and brake drum/disc for a fiat obviously won't fit a VW stub axle.
I don't think they will. The chassis can only be used on front drive cab units and there aren't many mh base vehicles anyway. I'd guess they're supplied without stub axles which will be fitted by the converter. Either way Alko wouldn't have to supply that many variations if the chassis arrive with axles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I

I don't think they will. The chassis can only be used on front drive cab units and there aren't many mh base vehicles anyway. I'd guess they're supplied without stub axles which will be fitted by the converter. Either way Alko wouldn't have to supply that many variations if the chassis arrive with axles.
Agreed on the minimal base vehicles but the swing arm still needs specific fixing holes for the various stub axles and brake components which can have many different types on the same vehicle.
For arguments sake, the back plate on a 2000 ducato may have different bolt centres and layout than a 2010 ducato or the stub axle may be 2 or 3mm larger or smaller diameter on various years....the stub axle still needs a hole in the swing arm to be pressed into.
That would mean the swing arm manufacturer (presumably Alko) would need to machine different arms for every variation of every base model and year..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back