Aircon?? (1 Viewer)

bri

Oct 2, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR BENIVAN 122
Hiya, thinking about air con being fitted in habitation of my 6.36 van conversion,and wondered if anyone out there has done something similar and justified the cost.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
A definite benefit is you’re not carting around the excess weight of a built-in system when you don’t need it. Also, change your vehicle and you can take it with you. It won’t make the interior ice-cold but it certainly makes it a lot cooler, had no problems sleeping at the height of Spanish/France summers, nor did adjacent campers as runs quiet enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We've had our Dometic roof air con re-fitted onto our last two vans. Even though it's not supposed to be for 7+metre coachbuilds, it kept our rear beds cold during two hot weeks in France last year - we just use the built in sliders to direct it to the living area if needs be.
Ours is fitted where the Omnivent sat and that unit was given to us as was the rooflight in the previous Pegaso and the same with the AT EKS. The dealer refits them as they move the AC unit.
Adds about 30kg to your payload and isn't as heavy on power as the Truma Aventa which needs a power boost on start up that can easily blow 6 amp EHU abroad.

One of the best accessories we've ever bought.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We've had our Dometic roof air con re-fitted onto our last two vans. Even though it's not supposed to be for 7+metre coachbuilds, it kept our rear beds cold during two hot weeks in France last year - we just use the built in sliders to direct it to the living area if needs be.
Ours is fitted where the Omnivent sat and that unit was given to us as was the rooflight in the previous Pegaso and the same with the AT EKS. The dealer refits them as they move the AC unit.
Adds about 30kg to your payload and isn't as heavy on power as the Truma Aventa which needs a power boost on start up that can easily blow 6 amp EHU abroad.

One of the best accessories we've ever bought.
We have the Truma Aventa Compact fitted to our 6.5 metre Pilote , its works just fine on 6 amp hookup and never trips out the EHU even on start up .
We have used it on many French and Spanish Low amperage sites without issue
It was an absolute godsend in the 40c heat we experienced in Provence in July 19

Last edited:

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I intend to buy the Aventa Compact when COVID restrictions ease. In the reviews I have read it is quieter than the Dometic which is key to me. I was looking at the 'cool my camper' a/c unit mentioned above but it just looks too much like hard work to me plus it blocks out visibility out of the window.
Shop around, I have found some companies that have special offers on fitting.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have had the Dometic Freshlight on previous van and specced it on our new one too. Replaces the central vent in our 7m panel van, allows light, and great for cooling van down in hot conditions. Personally wouldn’t be without it.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
As post #6 we also have the Truma Aventa Compact fitted and can confirm it works without tripping low amp ehu's and keeps our 6m coach-built nice and cool. We also had it installed so it can run off 12v through a 2kw pure sine inverter for short periods if necessary.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hiya, thinking about air con being fitted in habitation of my 6.36 van conversion,and wondered if anyone out there has done something similar and justified the cost.
Rhino Installs at Bamber Bridge fitted our Truma Aventa compact at a cost of £1700

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I’ve just checked his website and fitted price is £1745 for the Truma Aventa Compact so it’s went up £45 since I had mine fitted

Apologies, you are quite correct, I was looking at the Compact Plus. I think I would want the extra 500W of cooling for the small price differential.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Apologies, you are quite correct, I was looking at the Compact Plus. I think I would want the extra 500W of cooling for the small price differential.
Gerry if your Motorhome is more than 6.5 metres I would say the Compact + would be better option and still only draws 4.4amps so still useable on 6 amp hookup .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If its hot we leave windows wide open,,if very very hot sliding door is left open with fly screen pulled across,,(posh name for net curtain.) BUSBY.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I actually removed our aircon unit (which came with the van) 'cos in the 12 years we've owned the van we have used it "in anger" less than half a dozen times - it needs hookup to be able to use it and we rarely do campsites.
Replaced it with a Maxxair Maxxfan unit that simply fitted in the same place. Runs on 12v and can either suck or blow, at normal speeds is very quiet and the cover (clear, smoked or white) can be left elevated for ventilation, even on the road. Great as an extractor fan too, ours is over the kitchen and the smoke alarm doesn't go off now when I'm cooking Sunday breakfast!
Of course it does not cool the air but instead we find circulation is just as good, at minimum settings it's almost silent, great for warm nights.
Also bought the extra blind that includes additional LED lighting - total cost around £450. We had it fitted because the aircon unit was too heavy for me to handle in removing, but otherwise a simple enough job to fit. I sold the aircon unit for almost as much as I paid for the Maxxair!
In the 12 months we've had it, got used on every outing, which is twice the number of times the aircon got used in 11 years.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We just use fans too. In the daytime it's in the window:

Screenshot_20210219-151659_Gallery.jpg

Then at night I put it in the ceiling, it really does blast lots of cooler air in off the roof. I fitted a 100w resistor with heatsink to slow, and quieten it down 😎 don't bother with an extraction fan they aren't anywhere near as good.

IMAG0984.jpg

Then I made a 12v version with 120mm axial fans. I put a stat on it to knock it off if it gets cold, also speed control.

20180515_113229.jpg

You really don't need aircon if you get sorted with the right fans 😏

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have had habitation A/C on all of our RVs, and to be honest we rarely use it. Much prefer to have windows open, or sitting in the shade outside. The fantastic fan does a good job if we need a bit of cooler air inside, plus you need EHU or a genny to run the roof A/C.

Craig

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
IME fans just move warm air around. You need a proper a/c unit if your requirement is to lower the temperature in your moho.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
An A/C does reduce the temperature inside your MoHo admirably, but, when it is cooler, you are then confined to the MoHo to feel the benefit. Nice initially, but soon enough, the doors and windows will be open again. And as for sleeping with the A/C on, is not for me.

Craig

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I used to switch it on in the works van, one lad I worked with used to wind the window down and I asked why he did it, and said it'll be cooler with the window up. He said "it's summer, I like the windows down" 😁 fair enough

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a Dometic Freshjet 2200 fitted in the bedroom of our Burstner A clasS &.5 mtr van. During the day if on site we run it with the vents facing forward into the lounge. Then use it to cool the bedroom in the evening. It works well we were in France during part of last summer with temp up to 28c. But it is too noisy to run when sleeping, and of course you are restricted to needing hook up, this unit will run on a six amp supply without tripping. When we can move are having 400 watts of solar added to our 100 watt panel, an inverter charger and 200 amps lithium fitted which will allows us some limited use when off site.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why do most people think air con only offers cold air? They also offer filtered, dehumidified warm air too.
Yeah that's a biggie for me, at home I put ours on Dry mode in the summer, you immediately feel more comfortable even though it's still hot. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back