Advice regarding potential buyer wanting to take our motorhome for a test drive (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
There was an advert on the tv recently that shows some bloke buying a car. The selling point was he could do this and have the thing delivered to his home without the terrible burden of getting off his arse and moving from his sofa.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You learn more about the vehicle from the passenger seat.

Also an RAC inspection could be done.

simples šŸ˜Š
You can't feel clutch brakes and steering from the passenger seat can you..BUSBY.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
How on earth do yo get through over 700 vehicles are you a dealer?, even if you are 80 years old or there abouts, that seems to work out at about one a month..
No just an bad accident record and really high insurance :hi5: :giggler: :giggler: :giggler: :giggler: :giggler: :giggler: :giggler: :giggler:

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
You could really feel sorry for anyone asking for advice on here. The OP has to sell her 4 year old motorhome with 18000 on the clock and priced at Ā£115000.00. Her husband has had a stroke so cannot drive it and most are saying she should not let others drive it. Admittedly insurance is to be sorted but the doomsayers seem to be in full voice with inspections etc. This vehicle is almost new compared to most.
There,, that feels better,,, and breathe :giggle:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
No they won't in their "Acceptance Criteria " they stipulate "Is not over 3.5 Tonnes GVW. "

It was a general statement, they will do motorhomes, just not over 3500kg. If you notice my comment follows Lenny HB statement that you cannot get short term insurance for motorhomes ;);)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You can't feel clutch brakes and steering from the passenger seat can you..BUSBY.

RAC inspection.

I can check a clutch stationary for slipping.
Thatā€™s all you need, biting point is immaterial IMHO

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
RAC inspection.

I can check a clutch stationary for slipping.
Thatā€™s all you need, biting point is immaterial IMHO
How about steering brakes and suspension..BUSBY.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Talking to a dealer the other day only 2 in 10 ask for a test drive before they pay :Eeek: People are it seems more than happy to buy without a test drive.

Skeggysue

Tell them test drives are not possible, explain why. If they don't want to buy; sell it to one of the other three (y)

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How about steering brakes and suspension..BUSBY.

RAC inspection

Steering can be done stationary.

Stamp on the brakes and hold pressure on the pedal.
If it sinks thereā€™s a problem.

Then thereā€™s always the RAC šŸ˜‰šŸ˜Š

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
First MH (Burstner) I bought seller did the driving

2nd one (Eriba) I drove 1 circuit of storage site

3rd one (Mobilvetta) I bought unseen, drove it home - still have it.

Jim's right - 4 interested - 1 will buy it without a test drive. The condition and service records should be enough

As others have sugested you could try dealers - MHs are in demand right now

Good luck

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you so much everyone and I really do appreciate all your thoughts, help and advice.

Iā€™ve just received a lovely kind message from one of the members on here who had very kindly taken the time and trouble of contacting Comfort Insurance to find out how exactly they stand in these kind of circumstances. Heā€™s been a great help and I feel a lot less concerned now. How very thoughtful of him to do this for someone ge doesnā€™t know personally and Iā€™m very touched by his kind heart.

Thanks again everyone - youā€™re all fabulous!

Sue xx ā¤ļø

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm the same, no way would I buy a vehicle without driving it.

There are plenty of insurance companies out there that will offer fully comp insurance for a test drive.
So you have a budget of Ā£300+ and fancy a Concorde/Morelo etc and you need what? A test drive? to achieve what? Itā€™s not got a slipping clutch a dodgy gearbox or the brakes might be spongy,give over.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You could really feel sorry for anyone asking for advice on here. The OP has to sell her 4 year old motorhome with 18000 on the clock and priced at Ā£115000.00. Her husband has had a stroke so cannot drive it and most are saying she should not let others drive it. Admittedly insurance is to be sorted but the doomsayers seem to be in full voice with inspections etc. This vehicle is almost new compared to most.
There,, that feels better,,, and breathe :giggle:
Exactly,why would someone need a test drive only some waster when a little while later a switched on individual takes a look and says itā€™s as you described Iā€™ll take it.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I would not buy any vehicle without a decent test drive,,,Madness. BUSBY.

I don't disagree with you, but on my terms, not theirs!
BTW, while I was test driving the B640 the owner of Viscount Motorhomes told me that only about one in ten buyers actually drive them before buying!
John

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
no need for them to actually drive it.
sorry but no way would i buy a vehicle without test driving, need to know that, if driving thousands of miles, the seat is comfortable and i can reach the pedals ok. Did test drive the new to us one, but it was winter and I was wearing wedge heel boots, heel doen't reach the floor in my usual shoes or sandals, have had to buy a pair specifically for driving it. Doesn't help with the OP's query though.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Advertise it as no test drives available but any inspection by RAC AA invited. If itā€™s in good order it will sell. Donā€™t panic to sell its a sellers market at the moment. I wish you good luck.

As an afterthought any Funster local can help out???

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
RAC inspection
Steering can be done stationary.
Stamp on the brakes and hold pressure on the pedal.
If it sinks thereā€™s a problem.
Then thereā€™s always the RAC šŸ˜‰šŸ˜Š

If I stamped on the brakes in my MH I would be covered in the stuff I haven't put away...

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Talking to a dealer the other day only 2 in 10 ask for a test drive before they pay :Eeek: People are it seems more than happy to buy without a test drive.

Skeggysue

Tell them test drives are not possible, explain why. If they don't want to buy; sell it to one of the other three (y)
Perhaps they are MH owners already? When we first went to buy a MH having never driven one we took one out for a test drive (not the one we bought) to see how it drove and the comformatic box worked. We did not drive the actual one we bought as it was new nor the next/current one again it was new.

I think buying used privately I would like to drive it though to see how it went and make sure the owner driving it was not covering up some issue by driving a certain way, selling because of health may not be the reason for sale after all (though I am sure in this case it is) but some mechanical issue that needs sorting.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would not buy any vehicle without a decent test drive,,,Madness. BUSBY.
So, would you be willing to provide fully comprehensive insurance for the other persons motorhome or pay extra to get them to add your name to there policy for one day ??

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Perhaps they are MH owners already? When we first went to buy a MH having never driven one we took one out for a test drive (not the one we bought) to see how it drove and the comformatic box worked. We did not drive the actual one we bought as it was new nor the next/current one again it was new.

I think buying used privately I would like to drive it though to see how it went and make sure the owner driving it was not covering up some issue by driving a certain way, selling because of health may not be the reason for sale after all (though I am sure in this case it is) but some mechanical issue that needs sorting.

We bought our first MH because the wife liked the colour of the upholstery (y)

And it turned out to be a great van(y)

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
I take your point Michael and I would want to satisfy myself everything was in order and above board if I were the buyer too, so I have no problems at all with anyone wishing to check everything with a fine tooth comb. No doubt about it, if we were the buyers we would be doing exactly the same I can assure you! lol

That said I can 100% promise any would be buyer that both myself and my husband are honest and trustworthy people and we pride ourselves on always behaving towards others in a way that we appreciate people behaving towards us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back