Advice regarding potential buyer wanting to take our motorhome for a test drive (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A few years
You are correct,,,Who in their right mind would spend any amount of money on a vehicle they had not driven.Even if its brand new until you actually drive it you would not know if it is a vehicle you would be comfortable with...Bit like getting married,,until you live with someone you havnt a clue what they are actually like.. ;) ;) BUSBY.

In 2010 I ordered a Four Winds Siesta RV to my spec so paid a sizeable deposit and waited six months for it to be produced and shipped from the US . Finally paid remainder then handover.
Never drove it until that day.

In 2016 I bought a new Hymer from Becks paid and handover at dealership , had never driven it.

Yes I had sat in and ensured I liked what I was buying and having driven RVs of differing types I had no problem with hopping in a new one, and I am in my right mind :RollEyes:

I think:lipssealed:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
most vehicles nowdays the pedal doesnt stay hard nits called deisel creep
thanks for that .Informative.

As to people buying without test drives,my mate delivers new vehicles all over the UK.Not only do people buy/lease them sight unseen & without a test drive they have no problem in them arriving with 00's of miles on the clock .& the average delivery rate is 56 per day,every day of the year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The problem with this test drive lark is that most so called buyers are timewasters those that ask this that and the other are generally of this order, I’ve given up on them after a couple of general enquires you know if they are serious and these are the ones that then turn up and make the purchase the rest are generally as stated timewasters.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Thanks for your replies.
Regretfully, because of my husbands medical problems he is unable to drive now, hence the reason we are reluctantly selling our dream motorhome. So, unfortunately he cannot take anyone out on a test drive and I don’t drive our motorhome either. I can drive but I’ve never dared drive any of our motorhomes I’m embarrassed to say.
I think i’ll call her back and explain a test drive is not possible unless she can take out temporary fully comp insurance cover to do this and of course I will need proof she is covered etc.
Thanks again.
Sue
I agree 100%, unless they can show you current fully comp insurance for your van, no test drive.
Phil

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
How would you be comprehensively insured if driving.
I was probably only insured third party unless of course the van I was test driving or car was insured any driver by it's owner.Been buying vehicles for nearly 60 years and never bought one without a test drive.In fact bought new cycles in Feb but not without riding first.😁BUSBY.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Read this from the gov MOT advice page............

Vehicles with petrol engines uses the inlet manifold to generate the vacuum for servo assistance.
Larger vehicles such as vans and 4x4s with diesel engines usually use a pump to generate the vacuum, Unlike the inlet manifold of a petrol engine, there is no vacuum relief with a pump. If excessive pedal pressure is applied when the vehicle is stationary (and the engine is running) as required for the MOT test the hydraulic pressure required to stop the vehicle will be grossly exceeded and fluid will be forced past seals that are between circuits.

The rare occurrence is known as diesel creep; and it is often incorrectly diagnosed as being caused by a faulty master cylinder.

The solution is to stop applying the excessive pressure.

If you can get the brake pedal to creep with the engine switched off and servo exhausted,
or actually under braking there is a serious problem that requires urgent attention!

A road test maybe an option to satisfy yourself, but if in doubt give the benefit of the doubt to the vehicle presenter.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you all for your input.

Pleased to say the lovely couple who came to view our motorhome today have bought it. They didn’t feel the need to test drive it and are collecting it tomorrow to drive it to it’s new home.

Very sad to have to say goodbye to our motorhome but it’s going to a lovely new home and I just hope they and their little doggy have as much happiness and make as many wonderful memories in her as we have done.

Happy Friday everyone.

Sue

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Pleased to say the lovely couple who came to view our motorhome today have bought it. They didn’t feel the need to test drive it and are collecting it tomorrow to drive it to it’s new home.

Very sad to have to say goodbye to our motorhome but it’s going to a lovely new home and I just hope they and their little doggy have as much happiness and make as many wonderful memories in her as we have done.

Happy Friday everyone.

Sue
Well that's good and bad news all at the same time, best wishes to you wherever life takes you.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Happy Friday everyone.

Sue
Rita and I are pleased for you Sue & Gilbert, but at the same time sad that you've had to sell your beautiful MH. :(
On a brighter note, we didn't think she would take long to sell, knowing how well you have maintained your MHs over the years.

Best wishes for the future. (y)

Jock & Rita. xx

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Pleased to say the lovely couple who came to view our motorhome today have bought it.
it’s going to a lovely new home and I just hope they and their little doggy have as much happiness and make as many wonderful memories in her as we have done.

Happy Friday everyone.

Sue
They didn't by chance have a French bulldog? :reel:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
In a similar situation I was able to insure a friend to drive our MH for a day. NFU Mutual wanted full driver details well in advance and made a charge of £25 for 24hrs. Of course I was well aware that my friend could drive a large MH; he has one of his own. Would I let a stranger drive it? Not a cat in hells chance!

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
Hi, I rang my insurers (LV) and they charged me a £15 admin fee covering a two day period, which I thought reasonable.

Apr 7, 2013
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
VWT5
Exp
I'm a newbie
How do you do a private sale? If I was buying I would want to drive it before buying. I think that's reasonable. But if no insurance then the whole thing becomes impossible,

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Had similar issues when selling motorcycles over the years. Typically I'd ask for a large cash deposit and the keys to the car they arrived in. If it was a motorcycle I was selling (they'd be riding it alone) I'd keep their ID (Licence and CC or passport) but if you are in the vehicle with them and their insurance is at least third party - you at least have a bunch of cash and their own car to bargain with if the worst happens. Get them to sign a note that they agree to pay for all and any damage how-so-ever caused whilst they were in control of the van.
I think your suggestion of the person test driving has a written agreement to pay for any damage while they are in control unless it is the fault of the other driver, assuming it was with another driven vehicle

Mar 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Dethleffs
Exp
As several have said, amost anyone turning up on your doorstep the buy a vehicle (car, motorbike or motorhome) will only be covered under their own insurance to drive your vehicle under third party cover only (their insurance will pay for the damage to the vehicle/property they hit, but NOT your motorhome). They will then quite likely walk away saying how sorry they are but you are left with a damaged motorhome that is not covered under their insurance.
So my suggestion is:
- you drive them in your motorhome and they are passengers
- they have to take out a short cover policy that allows them to specifically drive your motorhome and they can show you an insurance certificate the shows your vehicle details and reg no fully covered - comprehensive (not third party!)- If neither of the above apply and they still want to drive your motorhome. Say NO! No! NO!

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi everyone,

I just need some insurance advice please?

We are currently advertising our beautiful Carthago motorhome for sale both on here and on various other internet motorhome selling pages. We’re sadly having to sell due to my husbands health issues and we’ve had lots of enquires from several people wanting to come over to view it. Anyway, we have 3, possibly 4 different people coming over to view it over the next few days but one of the potential buyers has just called me to ask if she could test drive it? I said of course she could but when I told my my husband I’d agreed to this he was a little concerned about the legalities of allowing her to do this regarding insurance etc. Obviously we will stay in the motorhome to make sure she and husband don’t drive off into the sunset with it but it’s the insurance situation we are unsure about so your advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
b
Your husband is right to be concerned, I haven't read any other posts o your question so I apologise if I am repeating a reply,
A lot of people are under the impression that cos it says in the small print of your policy that " you may also drive a vehicle not owned by you" people think that this means they are insured to drive a friends vehicle for example that's been loaned to them or as in your case a vehicle that they are considering purchasing,
What this means is they have 3rd party cover whilst test driving your motorhome, so for example if they collide with or cause damage to another vehicle or someone's property, then their ins.co. will pay for the damage to whatever they cause damage to BUT their ins.co. do cover any damage to ohyour vehicle, It would be the same as you having only 3rd party insurance on your Carthago, so if you went out and skidded into a wall or parked lorry car etc, your ins. co. would pay for the damage to the other vehicle or wall and that's all, you are left with your damaged van which will cost you thousands to put right, which is exactly what will happen if this interested buyer has a mishap whilst test driving your van, he will then say sorry it's not exactly what we want and he walks away and you're left with a damaged van to pay for, hope this explains why your husband is concerned, Sorry for such a long winded post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back