Account Recently Hacked - Funster Ripped Off (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps you could tell us what exactly happened. Despite Jim telling me its in the first post I must be a bit thick cos I still dont know how a funster got ripped off.
I assume the funster paid for something that was advertised without actually physically taking possession and the person who received the money wasn't the actual owner of the item that had originally been advertised because the real funster's account had been hacked, ie it was a scam.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Perhaps you could tell us what exactly happened. Despite Jim telling me its in the first post I must be a bit thick cos I still dont know how a funster got ripped off.
I'm guessing but ....

Hack account, change price of classified item to gain interest then ask potential buyer/(s) to transfer money and they will send the item.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Blimey Jim I’m having a bleddy nightmare!

Since changing my password and going through the 2 step thingy last night, I’ve been locked out of YouTube (Handsome Julio’s keep fit session has been SERIOUSLY delayed) and I’ve just had to completely redo my Google sign in.

I’m beginning to think the thread about being hacked was a scam!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I'm guessing but ....

Hack account, change price of classified item to gain interest then ask potential buyer/(s) to transfer money and they will send the item.
Bugger! Now I'll have to think of something else.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I assume the funster paid for something that was advertised without actually physically taking possession and the person who received the money wasn't the actual owner of the item that had originally been advertised because the real funster's account had been hacked, ie it was a scam.
I would guess , there was a ebike which was very cheap and I thought suspicious

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
1661595959995.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Usually need your old password to begin to set a new password.
If you didn't anyone could reset it

No, they would need to be logged in, which kind of proves you already know the password.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can't be stressed enough, no matter who we are or what we do, we still need to be reminded from time to time.. Go get a password manager (there's even good, free ones around) and have it generate unique, random, pretty much unguessable passwords for every site you register on.. And why not do it today?
But how do you know the 'password manager' isn't set up & run by hackers?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Never heard of passkey nor seen anything about it being hacked. Just did a google and non the wiser as it all seems to be an apple tech and no mention of a hack?

Do you have any other details?

I think he means Lastpass chuck.

Yes I know but he's easily confused poor soul! :giggle:

I have slept since then and I have no recollection whatsoever….. I think maybe I was hacked…..😆

😎

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
478 trillion years don't think I have much to worry about
That is the 2022 figures.
Give it a year or two and they will find a way of cutting 478 trillion years down to a few hours.

Hence the need for '2FA', Two Factor Authentication.

2FA Is normally something you know (such as a password),
and something you physically have (a phone, dongle key, voice, fingerprint, facial recognition etc.)

Fairly soon 2FA will become the minimum spec to even fire up your PC or to enter any website.
(This is already the case for most smart phones)

Eventually it will be Multifactor Authentication, where you PC or phone will cross check your knowledge (password) plus several of the physical traits, including DNA at some point.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That is the 2022 figures.
Give it a year or two and they will find a way of cutting 478 trillion years down to a few hours.

Hence the need for '2FA', Two Factor Authentication.

2FA Is normally something you know (such as a password),
and something you physically have (a phone, dongle key, voice, fingerprint, facial recognition etc.)

Fairly soon 2FA will become the minimum spec to even fire up your PC or to enter any website.
(This is already the case for most smart phones)

Eventually it will be Multifactor Authentication, where you PC or phone will cross check your knowledge (password) plus several of the physical traits, including DNA at some point.
By the time I have gone through that malarky my life will have expired :rofl:
Bill

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
There's a saying in the IT industry (I'm in IT security) - assume breach, noone can avoid getting hacked or suffer from online services getting breached. It's how you handle it that matters, and not re-using passwords, and using two factor authentication when possible is just brilliant and will keep you way in front of the masses in terms of online security.

Any reputable password manager really will suffice, personally I use 1Password - I know it's not free - for its features and browser integrations, but I also use KeePass with my team at work and it's the ticking most boxes, it's free and supports multiple platforms.

You can never say for sure any product isn't goong to get hacked or suffer from supply chain attacks, the problem is you either have to accept that risk or take the consequences and stay offline.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back