Account Recently Hacked - Funster Ripped Off (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Take more care on the internet and use stronger passwords. Don’t use the same password here that you use everywhere else. LOOK AFTER YOUR FUN PASSWORD.

If your password to MotorhomeFun becomes known to thieves, these low-life can use this information to rip off Funsters and any number of the friends in your address book.

They could, for instance, change your email,change your password, so you are locked out. Drop the price of an item you have for sale in Classified from £1500 to £500. Hook baited, they just need someone to come along who’s never heard the saying; If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is!

If your account is hacked and used for criminal activity, don’t be surprised if those who lose money come chasing you for it. It is your account, please protect it with a good password you don’t use elsewhere.

MotorhomeFun offers everyone the ability to secure their account with two-step verification, we can check it’s you by sending you a code or an email that you respond to. If you would like to secure your account this way, or change your password Broken Link Removed

When buying from anywhere, be aware, if it looks like a fantastic deal, check up on it, get a phone number, chat to them. Satisfy yourself that they are genuine. If their email responses are two-word answers in pidgin English, don't be blinded by the bargain THINK! Be aware!

Good Password advice here.

Let's be careful out there, and in here!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I’d update mine but I don’t even know it 😂
Its not on my saved password list since my new phone was wiped due to a problem by Ralph.
How can I find it?
I darent sign out or I’d not get back in 😵😂

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Unfortunately there are individuals who wish to rip us off, infiltrating every part of the online world we use and as good a job as I’m certain Jim et al do with protecting the Fun environment for us, where there is the opportunity to score, these low life will do just that! Everyone has individual and collective responsibility here. As an individual, do not be the slowest wildebeest in the herd, those lions want to eat you!

The advert (I believe) in question was well written (by a funster) but there were ‘tells’ in the approach the fraudster took. As Jim says, you really do need to ask yourself certain questions where money is involved… the bad guy wants your money as quickly as possible, genuine sellers (remember this person could through the forum persona they are using be very familiar to you) will have a little more empathy with the transfer of funds. If ANYTHING doesn’t seem quite right, step back and ask yourself why you have that feeling. Ask another member, sleep on it, just do not quickly transfer money!

WRT to paying people, Bank transfer is NOT a ‘safe’ way to send money to people remotely unless you really know them. If you have spoken to the funster and you are confident it is who they purport to be, then yes, you can use this, but it is YOUR risk always.

Fun is a safe environment, well moderated and great place to discuss anything we want to, Motorhome or other, but as soon as there is the chance for money to be made, it’s the same as the rest of the internet and is high risk!

It appears they have been successful in ripping someone off; in my experience they will be trying again as they will perceive this community as low hanging fruit, so please be extra vigilant…

But, still have fun on Fun! 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I will have to look up my password, I used to be careless with passwords for non-financial sites, I'm more careful now but I haven't updated all passwords so I had better do it.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
appears they have been successful in ripping someone off; in my experience they will be trying again as they will perceive this community as low hanging fruit, so please be extra vigilant…
How very dare you ! We have never been referred to as Low Hanging Fruit before but its funny😁
Everything you mentioned is quite true.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
🤣 Ditcha Littlewheels - what I said was they (the fraudsters) will perceive (not necessarily reality) MHF as ‘low hanging fruit’ due to their fraud success…

No personal or demographic slants meant, just a reality check that they will be back… 🤪

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use an Apple generated strong password but have changed it anyway

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Unfortunately there are individuals who wish to rip us off, infiltrating every part of the online world we use and as good a job as I’m certain Jim et al do with protecting the Fun environment for us, where there is the opportunity to score, these low life will do just that! Everyone has individual and collective responsibility here. As an individual, do not be the slowest wildebeest in the herd, those lions want to eat you!

The advert (I believe) in question was well written (by a funster) but there were ‘tells’ in the approach the fraudster took. As Jim says, you really do need to ask yourself certain questions where money is involved… the bad guy wants your money as quickly as possible, genuine sellers (remember this person could through the forum persona they are using be very familiar to you) will have a little more empathy with the transfer of funds. If ANYTHING doesn’t seem quite right, step back and ask yourself why you have that feeling. Ask another member, sleep on it, just do not quickly transfer money!

WRT to paying people, Bank transfer is NOT a ‘safe’ way to send money to people remotely unless you really know them. If you have spoken to the funster and you are confident it is who they purport to be, then yes, you can use this, but it is YOUR risk always.

Fun is a safe environment, well moderated and great place to discuss anything we want to, Motorhome or other, but as soon as there is the chance for money to be made, it’s the same as the rest of the internet and is high risk!

It appears they have been successful in ripping someone off; in my experience they will be trying again as they will perceive this community as low hanging fruit, so please be extra vigilant…

But, still have fun on Fun! 👍🏻
Go on then H tell us all the advert that got you 🤣🤣😮 🍆🍆

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Isn't low hanging fruit what animals urinate on, hence why you only pick fruit that's a few feet off the ground?

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
Can't be stressed enough, no matter who we are or what we do, we still need to be reminded from time to time.. Go get a password manager (there's even good, free ones around) and have it generate unique, random, pretty much unguessable passwords for every site you register on.. And why not do it today?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Can't be stressed enough, no matter who we are or what we do, we still need to be reminded from time to time.. Go get a password manager (there's even good, free ones around) and have it generate unique, random, pretty much unguessable passwords for every site you register on.. And why not do it today?
A bit more info please as we are low hanging fruits.
I hate passwords with a passion as most of ours are 39 caricatures 🤣

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

You mean like passkey who were hacked and 12 million peoples information stolen the other day….😎

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I checked my password and although I didn't remember it I found I had set it up with an easy to remember one 🤔 as that didn't work I've now changed it to something more secure, I can't remember that one either 😄

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Google Authenticator is one of the “Two-step verification” methods so that was an easy option to enable for me 👍🏻😎

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Jim - I went through the process to change it and set up the 2 step verification and now I can’t get back in - my password is wrong apparently!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’ve got back in, but it says I’m only safe for 30 days!

Jim Can I go back to just being logged in forever please!

Reactions: Jim
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You mean like passkey who were hacked and 12 million peoples information stolen the other day….😎
Never heard of passkey nor seen anything about it being hacked. Just did a google and non the wiser as it all seems to be an apple tech and no mention of a hack?

Do you have any other details?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never heard of passkey nor seen anything about it being hacked. Just did a google and non the wiser as it all seems to be an apple tech and no mention of a hack?

Do you have any other details?
I think he means Lastpass chuck.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And I was the one that sent a message telling the advertiser that he was selling them too cheap…😆🤣😂😎
Perhaps you could tell us what exactly happened. Despite Jim telling me its in the first post I must be a bit thick cos I still dont know how a funster got ripped off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back