A question - newbe about to go motorhoming for a year around Europe (1 Viewer)

The Browns

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer 595 A class
Exp
I’m a newbie - about to start a years trip
Hi all, this is our first post, we are about to go travelling for a year around Europe (setting off mid October from Portsmouth to Santander (never been motor homing before ?) plan to do Spain and down to Portugal southern Spain over winter then up into France etc in summer due to heat!

We have just brought a hymer 595 (2003) left hand drive and await it’s collection in a few weeks as having a few things fitted (solar, new tyres etc..)

But I cannot find much info on this van????? It appears lovely and the perfect layout for us two and the dog - anyone now much about this model

I have a few Questions (some silly I guess, so sorry in advance ?)

1, though what weight is this van and how much can I carry? - I asked the dealer I’m buying it off and they sent me a picture of this plate (I have blanked a few letters out just in case?)
2, is the 595 a good model
3, here come the silly ones (how hot do these get in summer in Europe)
4, are there really free sites to stay which are nice, eg near beaches, pretty towns etc?

I have attached a couple of pictures also!

We are very excited!! And look forwards to learn and contribute to this helpful forums!

Ps any other tips are welcomed!

Attachments

• 48FEDFFC-B540-4780-A780-3546FB913631.jpeg
    48FEDFFC-B540-4780-A780-3546FB913631.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 41863ED0-214E-4553-BECF-C0ECBFE01B92.jpeg
    41863ED0-214E-4553-BECF-C0ECBFE01B92.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 114
  • EDC3BD28-F869-4BB3-92B9-06785A97E849.jpeg
    EDC3BD28-F869-4BB3-92B9-06785A97E849.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 100
  • B26CA5F6-F94F-491E-AB49-F7D1621B5B26.jpeg
    B26CA5F6-F94F-491E-AB49-F7D1621B5B26.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 94
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi and w2f

I cannot advise on the weight of the motorhome .
Hymers are very very well made,but I would check its habitation checks that have been done over the years.I would also buy a cheap damp meter so you can check for damp yourself.If you are buying from a dealer what gaurentee are they going to give you? You need to have a look in the resources on here and the Motorhome buying guide has alot of good advice.
In France there are 100`s and 100`s of free aires in towns and villiages,but the more south you go they will charge a minimal fee to be in popular towns and near to beaches.There are good websites to use to find aires like Searchforsites,park4night and ukcampsites.
And it does get really hot in Southern Europe in the summer lol

Good luck(y)

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't assume its always cooler in France than Spain, the opposite this week. Very important to know your payload especially if long terming, don't believe the dealer they have been known to be economical with the truth if trying to get a sale. There are free places to stop in many European countries. Get some good apps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi and :pink:

On your weights:
Top line is your maximum gross vehicle weight
2nd line is your maximum train weight (the combined weight of your MH and whatever you might tow behind it)
3rd line is your maximum front axle weight
4th line is your maximum rear axle weight.

Exceed any of these and you’d be committing an offence.

3,400Kg is quite low if you’re planning a year long trip. Best bet is to get loaded up in holiday trim and get along to a local weigh-bridge to check that you’re not overloaded.

Ian

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi and welcome to Fun.

I have looked at your vin plate and your maximum gross weight is only 3400 Kgs. you need to find the kerbside weight, (mass in running order) deduct that from 3400 Kgs and you have your payload allowance. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you will need a much higher allowance. When you know this, it may be possible to upgrade your gross weight (3400 Kgs)

Other than that, its a great m/h and will serve you well. Hopefully your supplier will be willing to have it weighed, there are a couple of companies that deal with upgrading Motorhomes. If you need them just ask.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
There should be a Hymer weight plate on the side valance of the van. This may be different from the Fiat VIN plate shown in your pic. The Hymer VIN plate takes presidence over the Fiat one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Browns

The Browns

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer 595 A class
Exp
Thanks for explaining this - so I can pack the van up to weight max 3.4t - how do I know how much the van weighs to start with? I’m a touch worried that it is “quite low” for a year trip ?

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for explaining this - so I can pack the van up to weight max 3.4t - how do I know how much the van weighs to start with? I’m a touch worried that it is “quite low” for a year trip ?
You need to take it to a weighbridge to see how much it weighs as it is.
You will also need to have its MOT done just before you go and make sure your insurance is okay for a year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Browns

The Browns

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer 595 A class
Exp
Yep mot just done and passed - I will be putting it in though just before we go in October though so we have the year - insurance we have quote for 365 days in Europe with breakdown and return to home all in for us both £465

I’m a little worried re weights though! I was thinking gas 12kg and 6kg refillerable - two bikes, solar, Ariel (it seems to have two on this one, normal looking one and a square one that comes up) I think the water tanks are 140ltr and 100ltr in this model? Cloths (sounds like I might have to pack light ??)

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Yep mot just done and passed - I will be putting it in though just before we go in October though so we have the year - insurance we have quote for 365 days in Europe with breakdown and return to home all in for us both £465

I’m a little worried re weights though! I was thinking gas 12kg and 6kg refillerable - two bikes, solar, Ariel (it seems to have two on this one, normal looking one and a square one that comes up) I think the water tanks are 140ltr and 100ltr in this model? Cloths (sounds like I might have to pack light ??)
If it has a tow bar you could pull a small trailer, you don’t have to travel with full tanks either, just enough fresh water to keep you going and an empty waste tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Browns

The Browns

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer 595 A class
Exp
Yep it does have a tow bar but not keen on a trailer so guess best to take it off to save weight now! Also might see if the satellite Aireal thing comes off (as probably stream to the tv also save weight! - not sure if this would be possible though? E.g leave holes etc?)

I guess we will fill the van up with everything we need and take it to a weighing station and hope it’s under 3.4t ?????

Anyone else got a hymer 595 and now weights etc?

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Yep it does have a tow bar but not keen on a trailer so guess best to take it off to save weight now! Also might see if the satellite Aireal thing comes off (as probably stream to the tv also save weight! - not sure if this would be possible though? E.g leave holes etc?)

I guess we will fill the van up with everything we need and take it to a weighing station and hope it’s under 3.4t ?????

Anyone else got a hymer 595 and now weights etc?
I would weigh it with the tow bar on just in case a trailer is your only option, a van trailer would be ideal as it would take your bikes as well.
The settalite dish would come off okay but you would probably have to leave the mounting plate in place.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
When you take it to the weigh bridge, fill the fuel tank 100% and about 30% water. if possible both stay in the van when weighed, that will give you a safe starting weight, you can weigh each item as you load them. Do a practice load before you set off, so that a comprise can be achieved. Remember, when weighing, you want the front and rear axle weighs as well, as you also have to stay within these limits. I do think you will need to upgrade the gross weight for comfort.

Upvote 0

HelenMalc2019

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do keep an eye on the politics. If what is threatening on 31 October happens you'll need to come back 90 days later.

Some will say this is unknown but it is an existing rule currently enforced on countries not in the EU. Those from the US and AUS or NZ can't overstay the 90 day rule. We will almost certainly be in the same position. You could buy time going to Morocco for a while but the clocks starts again when you return unless you want to spend 90 days in Morroco then you can have a full 90 days in the EU.

There may be visa options for longer stays but this isn't automatic. A yank I spoke to last year said he wasn't able to get one for an extended visit.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
You are taking on an awful lot in your first trip. Go for a shorter one to check the van. A year together in a motorhome can be 'testing'. You also have to think about household issues, Would it be worthwhile cancelling some subscriptions eg TV and broadband? How will you check your mail. Medical appts. There are so many things you need to consider.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Like everyone else, I think you are really going to struggle with 3400, seems very low for a van of that type.
Definitely get it weighed BEFORE parting with any money.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have a Hymer camp 52 and I have the same 3400kgs limit. I had my Hymer weighted with half fresh water tank so 50litres , 1 gas bottle and half petrol tank . I still had 450 kgs left to go.
I'm on my own and I'm 58kgs. I never go for long but I like to have my things and in fact it's nearly as if I was going for a longer time. Still I choose carefully everything. Plastic bottles, no oven of any sort, I eat local. I don't carry beers (lol) just one or 2 coca cola in tins, and 2 or 3 bottles of water to drink or cook and have 3 empty plastic bottles I can fill up on an aire if I think I might need more water to cook.
You could try to have only half fresh water tank, and adjust on aires when possible. try the local food and only take what seems (to you) really necessary. Light plates and cutlery. One folding chair each. I have a small gas bottle to cook outside or just in case something goes wrong.
I love books but I really try to have only 2 or 3. There are other ways to read now! If it rains , well go and visit musueums. Discover towns and people.
Avoid hangers it might get heavy, and try to have only clothes which don't need to hang. Forget about ironing, and adapt.

Plenty of things to do to avoid weight. Take your time to think. Life in a van is different.

Amicalement
Frankie:);):cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back