A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim did you progress with selling a motorhome tracker? I think I should get one fitted to my motorhome but there are so many options and gadgets mentioned on here that I now have no idea what to get. Any advice?
Julie

Yes we are testing a couple at the moment, but its such a fast moving area and new kit is coming out all the time.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I’m up for one subject to spec and price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jules132

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Chessington, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Exp
Since August 2017
We can track ours anytime anywhere via google maps or I can have it send a txt with position at set intervals, report if it moves, goes out of a presubscribed area etc,etc, via a payg sim, cost £70 and I have a lifetime license at £60. We have these fitted to all our vehicles.

View attachment 259462
Hi Paul can you tell me what tracker you have please

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had an idea while sitting on the loo this morning. I often get ideas then, probably why some of them are sh*t.

Any tracker that's fitted in the van can be easily blocked, but the roof of the van is pretty inaccessible unless you have a ladder. I had the idea that a tracker could be fitted in a suitable box like a waterproof junction box on the roof, which could be internally screened on all sides except the top. It would be further screened by the possibly metal roof of the van. It would need a power supply to keep the battery topped up, but if mounted in, for example, a satellite dome there may be power anyway.
Alternatively it could have a small solar panel and be completely self contained.
Obviously this would only as a tracker only, immobilisation or voice recording would not be possible without extra wiring. I would propose it as a second tracker, the first one being in the traditional places where the professionals would fit it and so easily found.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Had an idea while sitting on the loo this morning. I often get ideas then, probably why some of them are sh*t.

Any tracker that's fitted in the van can be easily blocked, but the roof of the van is pretty inaccessible unless you have a ladder. I had the idea that a tracker could be fitted in a suitable box like a waterproof junction box on the roof, which could be internally screened on all sides except the top. It would be further screened by the possibly metal roof of the van. It would need a power supply to keep the battery topped up, but if mounted in, for example, a satellite dome there may be power anyway.
Alternatively it could have a small solar panel and be completely self contained.
Obviously this would only as a tracker only, immobilisation or voice recording would not be possible without extra wiring. I would propose it as a second tracker, the first one being in the traditional places where the professionals would fit it and so easily found.
I am intrigued by the statement any tracker that's fitted in the van can be easily blocked? They can't(y)

As the GSM network gets better and better the chances of a Jammer working get lower and lower and even then, only whilst the vehicle is in a no / poor signal area, immediately swamped when the vehicle drives into a stronger cell, so the monitoring center is straight onto it :active:

Also, what makes you think that trackers are fitted inside the van anyway :D2

Jules132

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Chessington, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Exp
Since August 2017

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks Paul, do you have it wired to your leisure battery or can it be hidden somewhere else?

Ours is wired via the cab/starter battery but there should be nothing stopping you from wiring it to your leisure battery if you so wish and although I'm probably giving the game away as to where mine is positioned, lets say it has a view of the sky to see satellites unhindered by metalwork.
I see you have an Elddis Autoquest 196 so the construction should be similar to ours in which case it's likely you could pretty well mount it where ever you like within the hab area.
We have the same tracker model fitted into Yvette's BMW Z4 and my truck and they pick up satellites and send GSM signals through the steel vehicle bodies with no problems.

Jules132

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Chessington, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Exp
Since August 2017
Ours is wired via the cab/starter battery but there should be nothing stopping you from wiring it to your leisure battery if you so wish and although I'm probably giving the game away as to where mine is positioned, lets say it has a view of the sky to see satellites unhindered by metalwork.
I see you have an Elddis Autoquest 196 so the construction should be similar to ours in which case it's likely you could pretty well mount it where ever you like within the hab area.
We have the same tracker model fitted into Yvette's BMW Z4 and my truck and they pick up satellites and send GSM signals through the steel vehicle bodies with no problems.
Many thanks, can I private message you somehow for other questions I have?

Jules132

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Chessington, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Exp
Since August 2017

Many thanks Paul, can I private message you as have a couple of other questions if you wouldn't mind

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am intrigued by the statement any tracker that's fitted in the van can be easily blocked? They can't(y)

As the GSM network gets better and better the chances of a Jammer working get lower and lower and even then, only whilst the vehicle is in a no / poor signal area, immediately swamped when the vehicle drives into a stronger cell, so the monitoring center is straight onto it :active:

Also, what makes you think that trackers are fitted inside the van anyway :D2

Reassured to hear this Eddie as the freely available jammers were a worry. Trackers fitted inside the van is just a (probably wrong) assumption on my part as car ones are. I include the engine compartment in 'inside' as this seems a fairly easy place especially in an A class with usually only fibreglass or similar around it. As you fit them you are obviously better informed as to where they go.

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
There have been a lot of thefts of motorhomes in a concentrated area around Essex and I would think some of these are stripped down and the parts sold off as a 3 way fridge is expensive for example. Other than that some but not all could be crated in shipping crates and sent to Harwich or Felixstowe ports as very close to the area they have been stolen from. My thoughts are a tracker would be well located connected to the 3 way fridge as one of the most expensive parts to cover all bases.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Me too and one for MH and possibly hide one on the car trailer .

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Can we pre-order yet? :whistle:

Ian