A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Just a thought from a few years ago, I had a VW camper, I fitted an industrial type pull out/push in heavy duty fuse in the main battery line. When leaving the vehicle I just pulled out the fuse leaving the vehicle immobilised. It was out of the way, so would not be easy to spot and jump lead across it. Hopefully stop a quick thief and they would of have to tow it away to get it. To fit one to our present vehicle we would need to find alternative power (leisure batts ?) for our tracker etc. to trace if it was towed away. Just a thought. My ears are burning !!!!
We are with you Jim.
Mike

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Not a bad idea at all. I have fitted a skytag to my Discovery a long time ago. £6:99 a month for the basics, £12:99 a month for all the gizmos) no sim card contract required.
Should really buy one for the MH too!!
Tiny little thing, plain black box, just needed live earth (and ign live for certain applications which I didin't bother with) You get an email every month where they test its operation and reporting.
Also worth noting that (according to them) it is the only system to provide direct Police access to live, real time location data.
I can use a web browser to show a map of where it is and where it has been and if it is moving, at what speed.
I can also geo fence it, by that I mean I can tell it to report to me immediately if it leaves a particular location so would be very useful on campsites.
As for the mention of needing to be under a window, err mine is no where near a window, (not saying any more than that) has no external aerial and has never failed a reporting test or web lookup location / tracking request) My Discovery is mostly aluminium bodied...
http://skytag-gps.co.uk/index.php

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm sure I can get a Virgin Sim at no cost except a £10 top up.
The power cable will be have to be discreet but not a problem if I hide it behind the dash somewhere.

Well it's fitted behind the Ducato glove box in a place where it would take awhile to get to.
It happily sends a signal up through the plastic and the screen.
I have found that only O2 do a sim that is free for ever, with an initial £10 top up. The only requirement is that you must use it once at least once every 6 months to retain the number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime...=item4414693601:g:zEQAAOSwzVpbITdm:rk:11:pf:0

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We will need a sim that will roam seamlessly across a number of networks in the UK and Europe.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We will need a sim that will roam seamlessly across a number of networks in the UK and Europe.
Yes they roam free (y) well not free, but the same cost.

Well it's fitted behind the Ducato glove box in a place where it would take awhile to get to.
It happily sends a signal up through the plastic and the screen.
I have found that only O2 do a sim that is free for ever, with an initial £10 top up. The only requirement is that you must use it once at least once every 6 months to retain the number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime...=item4414693601:g:zEQAAOSwzVpbITdm:rk:11:pf:0

Been testing mine over the last few days and it uses bugger all data. Not been texting it but using the app, it's like Google maps and updates position accurately every 5 minutes. I suppose at 1p per MB, 2 lines of text it will last the rest of my life :D2
The GPS reception is good, it works in the house (y). The build quality is also good, it's a modern smd circuit board and rubbery plastic case.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes they roam free (y) well not free, but the same cost.

Been testing mine over the last few days and it uses bugger all data. Not been texting it but using the app, it's like Google maps and updates position accurately every 5 minutes. I suppose at 1p per MB, 2 lines of text it will last the rest of my life :D2
The GPS reception is good, it works in the house (y). The build quality is also good, it's a modern smd circuit board and rubbery plastic case.
Works under the car bonnet with no loss of accuracy :love:
I think it might use about 1p credit a month based on 288 position updates a day at 0.1kb

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Power drain on the one I'm testing is 27ma. So it will run for 37 hours on 1ah
It does pulse to 50ma momentarily every 5 minutes though for the location transmission so realistically maybe 30 hours = 1ah.

Right I'll shut up, I don't want to take over the thread, it's just good to share info (y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have found that only O2 do a sim that is free for ever, with an initial £10 top up. The only requirement is that you must use it once at least once every 6 months to retain the number

Gift Gaff do as well (y)
Same again needs to be used as above.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I e just read through all the threads. We live in an area of poor mobile reception. Am I correct that all trackers use mobile signal to transmit?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Our system gives the tracker information and plots the trackers travels via Google maps and to do this our tracker processes the GPS position information and then uses the GSM (mobile signal) via the sim card in the tracker to send this information via our tracking unit suppliers website to show the information on Google maps. The sim card is also necessary to send information via text if we require it.

It's very likely other trackers will use different methods.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Now - Do I put a sign in the window telling people I have tracker fitted? For them to either try and steal another van or am I telling them to look for it?:Eeek:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Now - Do I put a sign in the window telling people I have tracker fitted? For them to either try and steal another van or am I telling them to look for it?:Eeek:
We have three. One on each front door window - assumed point of entry,:unsure: and one on the back by the number plate - assume number plate will be changed.:unsure:
If a pro wants it, they know to look for a tracker anyhow and a scrote will hopefully see them and move on!!(y)(y):cautious:

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
Newbie here Jim (first MH on order), but very interested in not getting fleeced by companies insisting that I need a Thatcham approved tracker for insurance purposes (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I e just read through all the threads. We live in an area of poor mobile reception. Am I correct that all trackers use mobile signal to transmit?

I would hope that at some stage they would drive into a good reception area and then you'll have him!!!
The top up card I have found is the o2 Classic. You only pay £10 initially to make it live - no monthly fee.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
@Jim I'm very interested in this thread.

It seems that https://intelitrack.co.uk/camc/ is similar to what Jim is proposing.
The main downside seems to be the 2-year battery life, after which it is scrapped.

Do we have a price?

Just found this one -https://inteltrack.net/

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Jules132

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Chessington, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Exp
Since August 2017
Hi Jim did you progress with selling a motorhome tracker? I think I should get one fitted to my motorhome but there are so many options and gadgets mentioned on here that I now have no idea what to get. Any advice?
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back