alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
The majority of these older flagship model Hymers are still trundling around, unlike there British built counterparts from the same era. There used to be lots for sale in Germany at little money and many found there way here to the UK. I think it was Oaktree who first started bringing them in and I do believe thats where JJ acquired his. Those that now own these Sclass Hymers know they are not the fastest or the most frugal MHs on the road, but what compensates for that is the build quality and reliability of these old motorhomes. They were built in a day before the accountants were running the manufactures and when your average German had plenty disposable income. Many of these older quality built models are now finding there way to the old commy block countries where labour is cheap and people have now got a shilling or two to spend on luxuries. They will only go up in price now, unlike your modern MH.
Well put and you are 100% right Dave ,regards Alf(y)

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
@JJ Just had a look at the link for this much discussed Motorhome, I think it's a beauty it would be interesting to see if some of today's Modern Build Vans will look so well when they get to 24 years old. This looks Class not many will. (y)
Well said carol,regards Alf(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are still masses of British motorhomes around from the early 90's The ones I notice most are the old Autotrails, I bought one in 1990 It sold to someone for £8000 last year on Gumtree.

This isn't mine, but its pretty much the same, what's not to like :)

Broken Link Removed

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well I am very glad Mr JJ is happy with his van, good for him. But, his love for his old Hymer doesn't mean newer Motorhomes are all white plastic rubbish. Neither does it mean that motorhomes that do have all the things he mentions his doesn't have are bad things. Much depends on how motorhomes are looked after. They can stay in good condition or become pigs and the same is true for newer or older models. I have some seen some very nice older motorhomes and some very bad newer ones, and the opposite.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I love some of the 'classic' stuff.....

But if there are not two airbags in the front and a truck load of safety kit ........... there not for me :rolleyes:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There are still masses of British motorhomes around from the early 90's The ones I notice most are the old Autotrails, I bought one in 1990 It sold to someone for £8000 last year on Gumtree.

This isn't mine, but its pretty much the same, what's not to like :)

Broken Link Removed

Our first motorhome lovely old thing that colour as well.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
My 660S is 30 years old next July.

It is definitely not suitable for anyone who wants a modern, trendy, fashionable van

JJ :cool:

JJ you are selling you Hymer short........... trendy hipsters would love to be seen is a Classic Hymer....especially a 660! The epitome of festival chic (y)

Love your RMB BTW @Bellini :cool:

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Well I am a big fan of my 25 y.o b544 Hymer. I have been umm-ing and ah-ing about changing it to something a bit more modern but I have just fixed the fridge with a hammer and the gas heater with a bit of sandpaper then given the outside a clean and I am sold all over again. I can't really imagine what a younger van would give me that this old girl doesn't.

There are other great vans like the autotrail that @Jim linked to above, really love the looks of that, but I think the sheer volume of older Hymers is giving them a bit of cult status, and the prices are definitely on the up

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I have seen prices rise since we looked summer last year we considered a B544 and a S660 priced at £8,500 and £10k respectively, i'd say a 544 would have £1500 premium and S660 a £2k premium if buying now.

Still wish we had a pre94....but I never say that out loud. :D:D

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
[QUOTE="JJ, post: 1771603, member: 2459"
It doesn't have a "computer" controlled engine management system.

Interesting point; in five years of ownership the only thing on our fourteen year old Hymer that has ever let us down is the ECU![/QUOTE]

Similar to us 14 / 15 year old Hymer nearly 6 years ownership 50'000 miles and the only problem was caused by me. Had a remap done for approx £300 and the cost so far over £2000.0 on clutch damage etc etc.
Other than that it hasn't missed a beat and been all over Europe in it and spend up to 6 months a year travelling.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
There is a chance for ours when we retired 11 years ago we bought our 5 year Hymer, we said if we get 5 good years great now we have had 11 brilliant years that has seen us visiting Greece Germany Switzerland Spain France Italy and Morocco as well as touring the UK extensively , now we hope we could possibly get another 5 years out of our van which we have no intention of changeing it does everything we want comfortably and I've got no one I want to impress with a newer posher van so who knows ours could get up to 24years. :)
Nobody mentioned anything about newer and posher and impressing. I do think it's disingenuous of some funsters to rave about very old vans. old vans can be a truckload of trouble, especially ones like JJ has mentioned, already I see the first evidence of possible clocking, a mystery MOT history, IE there isn't one before 2014......and the MOT history that was available showed perished rubbers and some brake issues. If you don't know what you are doing you could easily pick up a rusting leaky, knackered dog, which will end up a money pit and a merry go round of parts replacements. You could also end up with a well disguised dog if you don't know what to look for. I would caution against buying something in this Hymers age range if you don't have the mechanical ability to keep on top of the repairs or deep pockets. Mechanical vehicles of this age have many old and worn parts!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.jpg
Nobody mentioned anything about newer and posher and impressing. !

Never said any one did . :) I said I wouldn't change for that reason, believe it or not I have met quite a few Motorhomers who do change just because it's not the latest model I never quite get that. Many of my friends have very new very large motorhomes and that's absoultly fine the brilliant thing about Fun is that it really does not matter what van model or size you have everyone is accepted. In fact one of my friends have one of the biggest RV 's. I have come across, does not change my opinion.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I like the slide out back bumper which is presumably a bike rack and hence the chequer plate on the back to protect the rear end from the bikes. Shame there could not be more detail in the advert and better interior pictures.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
View attachment 95931

Never said any one did . :) I said I wouldn't change for that reason, believe it or not I have met quite a few Motorhomers who do change just because it's not the latest model I never quite get that. Many of my friends have very new very large motorhomes and that's absoultly fine the brilliant thing about Fun is that it really does not matter what van model or size you have everyone is accepted. In fact one of my friends have one of the biggest RV 's. I have come across, does not change my opinion.

Again well said carol,and it does not matter what you have its how you use it,snobbery cant abide it,Regards Alf

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
My RMB is 24 years old and has just passed yet another MOT with no advisories.

I do like some of the newer motorhomes, but nothing even approaches the build quality of mine.

A Great classic enjoy your travels,Regards Alf

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you believe that old shed has only done 23K kilometres, I have a nice original Mona Lisa painting you can purchase cheap.......one of the digits on the speedo is uneven, which is one of the signs of clocking, in fact it's probably been clocked so many times the speedo counter sprockets are as loose as an Essex girls knicker elastic (y);)

Tell me more about them Essex girls ? :D

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Old Club pics 5.jpg
Tell me more about them Essex girls ? :D
Here's some from Basildon, 1990....you couldn't get a fag paper between those lovely thighs
Allegedly the only men in Romford essexshire are there to pay their alimony.......

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I'm afraid I don't understand how Ebay works...

At the end of the bidding does one know how much it was sold for?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I'm afraid I don't understand how Ebay works...

At the end of the bidding does one know how much it was sold for?

As long if you have saved it to your watched list if you just click on the link it will come up as a sold item (or not). It will also let you know if the seller has relisted it. (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Nice TK Bedford,,,done a few miles in one of them back in the late 60 s..Nice motor.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back